Detecting a dial tone with a modem

At work we have a couple of modems sharing the same phone line, and
from time to time that causes a problem.  What I'd like to do is use a
little program to have the modem check if it can get a dial tone on
the line before anything attempts to use the modem.

Could anyone provide some TP6/7 code to detect a dial tone?  Many
thanks in advance!

Re:Detecting a dial tone with a modem

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Keith G. wrote:
> At work we have a couple of modems sharing the same phone line, and
> from time to time that causes a problem.  What I'd like to do is use a
> little program to have the modem check if it can get a dial tone on
> the line before anything attempts to use the modem.

Send this to the modem:

ATX4D(put your own phone number here)

and then wait for there to be:

NO DIALTONE or BUSY
^^ no dialtone ^^ dialtone (calling own number doesn't do much :)

Unfortunately, this will disrupt the other modem. :(

   / Joshua Shagam                    /    (Quantum Porcupine / Versatile) /
  / mailto:JSha...@nmsu.edu          /       http://web.nmsu.edu/~jshagam /
 / phone://1.505.645.3856/~joshua   /  for the Quantum Porcupine Archive /
  Stop the execution of King Louis XVI!  If you agree, copy these three
             lines to your .signature file and send funds to:
       Long Live the King, 207 Alumni Avenue, Las Cruces, NM 88003

Other Threads