Which database format?

Hi,

I'm upgrading a data acquisition program which presently stores data in
text files with text-based look up lists.  This is becoming increasingly
unwieldy as the volume of data increases  I'm a newcomer to databases,
but it seems like the time to store the data in database files.  But
which format?  Some considerations:

- there will several 10s of thousands of data points
- each point is based on a series measurements which (I think) should be
streamed into blob fields (is this difficult?)
- the points are date-time indexed
- the overall structure will require about 20 tables, with several
many-to-many links

So which database file format would be best?

It seems I can generate the tables easily in Database Desktop, so is it
necessary to purchase the associated database program?

Should I upgrade from Delphi 3 to 5?

Thanks for any help.

Jerry

Re:Which database format?

It depens on several other factors too...

What about pricing?

Server OS? Local or Client/Server application?

Do you need the BDE?

etc etc...

InterBase is very nice, C/S & Local, not very expensive and doesn't need a
lot of managing: install and that's it! Paradox could be used, but when
using large amounts of data, corruption occurs to often. Oracle is good, but
expensive and uneasy to manage (as an admin I mean)... etc etc...
--

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions

For Delphi Components and InterBase tools:
http://www.upscene.com

"Jerry Grant" <gr...@geol.queensu.ca> wrote in message

> Hi,

> I'm upgrading a data acquisition program which presently stores data in
> text files with text-based look up lists.  This is becoming increasingly
> unwieldy as the volume of data increases  I'm a newcomer to databases,
> but it seems like the time to store the data in database files.  But
> which format?  Some considerations:

> - there will several 10s of thousands of data points
> - each point is based on a series measurements which (I think) should be
> streamed into blob fields (is this difficult?)
> - the points are date-time indexed
> - the overall structure will require about 20 tables, with several
> many-to-many links

> So which database file format would be best?

> It seems I can generate the tables easily in Database Desktop, so is it
> necessary to purchase the associated database program?

> Should I upgrade from Delphi 3 to 5?

> Thanks for any help.

> Jerry

Re:Which database format?

Hi Jerry,

perhaps take a look at www.advantagedatabase.com

ADS local Server (for single workstation and small Networks) is free, ADS
C/S-Server is not very expensive and upsizing from local version to C/S is
very easy.

Juergen.

Re:Which database format?

Thanks, Martijn, but I don't know enough to answer your questions properly:

Price probably isn't an issue.
Eventually it will have to be C/S.
I don't know if I need the BDE.

I have a Delphi 3 program that will read data from text files and stream it into
and out of files.  Now I'd like to stream it into blob fields.

I can create tables in the Database Desktop and read from and write to them in
the program (although I haven't dealt with the blob fields yet), but I don't
know which database table format to use.  I guess Paradox isn't a good choice -
maybe that is why I had problems with corrupted blobs in a test program I wrote.

Martijn Tonies wrote:
> It depens on several other factors too...

> What about pricing?

> Server OS? Local or Client/Server application?

> Do you need the BDE?

> etc etc...

> InterBase is very nice, C/S & Local, not very expensive and doesn't need a
> lot of managing: install and that's it! Paradox could be used, but when
> using large amounts of data, corruption occurs to often. Oracle is good, but
> expensive and uneasy to manage (as an admin I mean)... etc etc...
> --

Re:Which database format?

-
> maybe that is why I had problems with corrupted blobs in a test program I

wrote.

Blob fields are reliable in Paradox provided your tables get closed
properly. I've found that setting LOCAL SHARE to true (using BDE
Administrator), even for single user databases, goes a long way towards
eliminating blob problems. (The setting essentially forces write through of
record updates.)

If you are planning to migrate to c/s I'd suggest that you consider using
the BDE. If you are careful you can minimize the amount of work required to
change the underlying database.

> Martijn Tonies wrote:

> > It depens on several other factors too...

> > What about pricing?

> > Server OS? Local or Client/Server application?

> > Do you need the BDE?

> > etc etc...

> > InterBase is very nice, C/S & Local, not very expensive and doesn't need
> > lot of managing: install and that's it! Paradox could be used, but when
> > using large amounts of data, corruption occurs to often. Oracle is good,
but
> > expensive and uneasy to manage (as an admin I mean)... etc etc...
> > --

Other Threads