Simulating button press with TMediaPlayer

Hello,

How can I simulate the user pressing a button (play, pause, etc.) with
a TMediaPlayer component.  If I issue the command directly, it
works but the visual component isn't synchronized with the
command.  In other words, if I say MediaPlayer1.Play, it plays, but
the Pause, Stop, etc. buttons are still disabled, as if there's
nothing playing.  Do I have to disable/enable these buttons myself?
That seems rather dumb.

Also, what about the volume control?

Should I not bother with TMediaPlayer and use mci commands?  The
Delphi help file doesn't have anything on it except mci error codes
associated with TMediaPlayer.

TIA

-- luu