XP look and windows 2000 (D7)

I have now upgraded to D7 and wonder how I can get the XP look in my
applications running Windows2000, WinME and Win98?

I know this can be done since I have seen several programs with this new
look, like Delphi and SmartFTP.

What I want is the File menu, the radio buttons, combo boxes etc. to have XP
look regardless of what operation system the user has.

I have seen the TXpManifest component but haven't noticed any difference
dropping it to my form. (Couldn't find any help about the component)

I have tryed using a winXP.res (from Litschke) included in my main form but
get this error:

"Duplicate resource(s):
File WinXP.res resource kept, File c:\program files\....\lib\windowsXP.res
resource discarded."

Edgar Vorland
RMI

Re:XP look and windows 2000 (D7)

"Edgar Vorland" <Xedgar.Yvorl...@readmatre.no> wrote in message

> "Duplicate resource(s):
> File WinXP.res resource kept, File c:\program files\....\lib\windowsXP.res
> resource discarded."

This error message came because I had an TXPManifest component on my form,
so now I know what this component does, it simply include an XP resource
file... but my main problem is still there, my app doesn't have the XP look
in windows2000,Me and 98.

Anybody that knows how this can be achieved. (As in Delphi7 and SmartFTP)

"Lee J Cook" <l...@leekey.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> The TXpMainifest and the WinXP.Res only work if your are running windows
XP,
> You need a complete pack of components which will give you the look of XP
> without running XP.

AFAIK Delphi is written in Delphi. And Delphi7 has XP look regardless of
what operating system it runs on.  That means that Delphi7 must use some
special components that it doesn't include for others to use. Because there
are no such components included in Delphi7 (I have professional edition)
What a waste of money....

Or is there something I have overlooked here?

Edgar Vorland
RMI

Re:XP look and windows 2000 (D7)

The TXpMainifest and the WinXP.Res only work if your are running windows XP,
You need a complete pack of components which will give you the look of XP
without running XP.

"Edgar Vorland" <Xedgar.Yvorl...@readmatre.no> wrote in message

> I have now upgraded to D7 and wonder how I can get the XP look in my
> applications running Windows2000, WinME and Win98?

> I know this can be done since I have seen several programs with this new
> look, like Delphi and SmartFTP.

> What I want is the File menu, the radio buttons, combo boxes etc. to have
XP
> look regardless of what operation system the user has.

> I have seen the TXpManifest component but haven't noticed any difference
> dropping it to my form. (Couldn't find any help about the component)

> I have tryed using a winXP.res (from Litschke) included in my main form
but
> get this error:

> "Duplicate resource(s):
> File WinXP.res resource kept, File c:\program files\....\lib\windowsXP.res
> resource discarded."

> Edgar Vorland
> RMI

Re:XP look and windows 2000 (D7)

Have a look at http://www.torry.net/toolbars.htm

you should be able to find extra components free of charge to give you the
XP look on buttons / menus / forms etc without running XP

> "Lee J Cook" <l...@leekey.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > The TXpMainifest and the WinXP.Res only work if your are running windows
> XP,
> > You need a complete pack of components which will give you the look of
XP
> > without running XP.

> AFAIK Delphi is written in Delphi. And Delphi7 has XP look regardless of
> what operating system it runs on.  That means that Delphi7 must use some
> special components that it doesn't include for others to use. Because
there
> are no such components included in Delphi7 (I have professional edition)
> What a waste of money....

> Or is there something I have overlooked here?

> Edgar Vorland
> RMI

Re:XP look and windows 2000 (D7)

You can also check out this site for more info on actionbands
http://www.geocities.com/delphihelp/

> "Lee J Cook" <l...@leekey.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Have a look at http://www.torry.net/toolbars.htm

> > you should be able to find extra components free of charge to give you
the
> > XP look on buttons / menus / forms etc without running XP

> Thanks for the link and your suggestions.
> It doesn't help me though since we are very restricted to use third party
> components in our products. That is because they often are purely tested,
> have no warranty, little support, and can dissapear with the next Delphi
> upgrade.

> I am still wondering why Delphi7 couldn't include the components they are
> using in their own program. Obviously they have som code in Delphi7 that
> gives the XP look atleast on the file menu and the action bar buttons,
> regardless of running WindowsXP,2000,ME,98

> Every time we upgrade Delphi I am dissapointed of what new components that
> are included. Since Delphi7 state that they have XP support they should
have
> included XP components IMO.

> Edgar Vorland
> RMI

Re:XP look and windows 2000 (D7)

Delphi 7 does. Check out the ActionMainMenuBar, ActionToolBar &
ActionManager. Set the ActionManagers Style property to XP and away you go.
All on the Additional pallet.

Also check out the example for ActionBands, Wordpad.

Andy

> I am still wondering why Delphi7 couldn't include the components they are
> using in their own program. Obviously they have som code in Delphi7 that
> gives the XP look atleast on the file menu and the action bar buttons,
> regardless of running WindowsXP,2000,ME,98

> Every time we upgrade Delphi I am dissapointed of what new components that
> are included. Since Delphi7 state that they have XP support they should
have
> included XP components IMO.

> Edgar Vorland
> RMI

Re:XP look and windows 2000 (D7)

"Lee J Cook" <l...@leekey.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Have a look at http://www.torry.net/toolbars.htm

> you should be able to find extra components free of charge to give you the
> XP look on buttons / menus / forms etc without running XP

Thanks for the link and your suggestions.
It doesn't help me though since we are very restricted to use third party
components in our products. That is because they often are purely tested,
have no warranty, little support, and can dissapear with the next Delphi
upgrade.

I am still wondering why Delphi7 couldn't include the components they are
using in their own program. Obviously they have som code in Delphi7 that
gives the XP look atleast on the file menu and the action bar buttons,
regardless of running WindowsXP,2000,ME,98

Every time we upgrade Delphi I am dissapointed of what new components that
are included. Since Delphi7 state that they have XP support they should have
included XP components IMO.

Edgar Vorland
RMI

Re:XP look and windows 2000 (D7)

I'm using http://www.shagrouni.com/english/software/xpmenu.html (full source
as well) which does the trick!

Mat

Edgar Vorland wrote:
> I have now upgraded to D7 and wonder how I can get the XP look in my
> applications running Windows2000, WinME and Win98?

You need to use some skin engine.

ElPack 4 will support XP themes via theme API replacement module that
was developed for this purpose. With ElPack 4 you will be able to use
any XP theme on any Windows system including WinXP (this means that when
XP has themes enabled, you can use different theme for your application).

ElPack 4 beta with XP themes support will be released in 3-4 weeks.

--
Eugene Mayevski
Free cross-platform data exchange framework

Re:XP look and windows 2000 (D7)

Hi Andy Vines

> Delphi 7 does. Check out the ActionMainMenuBar, ActionToolBar &
> ActionManager. Set the ActionManagers Style property to XP and away
> you go.  All on the Additional pallet.

> Also check out the example for ActionBands, Wordpad.

Just a note (primarily to Edgar ) on the WordPad demo:
When you open/run the project the form will be (depending on your
resolution) well off to the right. Either set the Left property to
something less than it's current 1010 or the Position to poScreenCenter
from poDesigned. It's a bit confusing when you run it and can't see the
form.

This is probably the best of the examples to show Delphi like menus as
there is a toggle on the menu-bar for XP Style/Standard switching.

--
Dave

Re:XP look and windows 2000 (D7)

>  That means that Delphi7 must use some
> special components that it doesn't include for others to use. Because
there
> are no such components included in Delphi7 (I have professional edition)
> What a waste of money....

> Or is there something I have overlooked here?

You've overlooked ActionBands (D6 & D7) which is how the menus in the IDE
are accomplished.  For more information see my website below.

--
-Steve
Delphi/C++ Builder R&D