Recovering corrupt Paradox Tables

are there any tools available for recovering corrupt Paradox tables  ??

I have a 50,000 record table with a dud record (s) right in the middle
(from a PC with corrupt memory )

I tried copying into a new table with DBD and it filled my hard disk with
70 mb
of {*word*99} before it fell over

TIA

Nigel

Re:Recovering corrupt Paradox Tables

On 28 Nov 1996 21:24:50 GMT, "Nigel Anderson"

<nigel...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>are there any tools available for recovering corrupt Paradox tables  ??

>I have a 50,000 record table with a dud record (s) right in the middle
>(from a PC with corrupt memory )

>I tried copying into a new table with DBD and it filled my hard disk with
>70 mb
>of {*word*99} before it fell over

There are. On Borland's web site you can find some stuff (even
compiled!) for table repair; try http://www.borland.com/bde/

In the techinfo / technical support part you should find the magic
word "TUTILITY" or "TUTIL32", depending on whether you use 16bit or
32bit.

Alternatively you _might_ want to try out a shareware component I have
been writing which supposedly does the job perfectly, too. Be warned
though, that it is still in beta and that I have only (very strong)
confidence in the 16bit version.

One hint: you MUST make absolutely sure that your installed BDE
version AND the TUTILITY.DLL _DO_ match. In particular, Delphi 1.02
has been shipped with BDE 2.51, while there is NO TUTILITY.DLL 2.51.
In this case you MUST upgrade to BDE 2.52 (available at the above
place, too) - which is purely beneficial BTW.

--
Stefan Hoffmeister                   Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.de
University of Passau, Bavaria, Germany

In article <01bbdd72$8bf1a3e0$a69c16cb@nigel> "Nigel Anderson" <nigel...@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>are there any tools available for recovering corrupt Paradox tables  ??
>I have a 50,000 record table with a dud record (s) right in the middle
>(from a PC with corrupt memory )
>I tried copying into a new table with DBD and it filled my hard disk with
>70 mb
>of {*word*99} before it fell over

Pick a search-engine and you'll probably find fifty tools by now that attempt
to address the problem of table repair, to various degrees of automation.

But if you know the dud's "right in the middle" (i.e. you can scan it), don't
overlook the possibility of writing some kind of a salvage program.  Scan the
database backwards if that works, for instance.

Re:Recovering corrupt Paradox Tables

Stefan mailed me this info -  which Solved the problem

BUT I had to use the 32 bit  examples (DTUTIL)  because the 16 bit
TUTILITY.DLL was there but no API or sample code.

Nigel

Sundial Services <i...@sundialservices.com> wrote in article
<info.4465.00108...@sundialservices.com>...

<nigel...@ozemail.com.au> writes:

> >are there any tools available for recovering corrupt Paradox tables  ??

> >I have a 50,000 record table with a dud record (s) right in the middle
> >(from a PC with corrupt memory )

> >I tried copying into a new table with DBD and it filled my hard disk
with
> >70 mb
> >of {*word*99} before it fell over

> Pick a search-engine and you'll probably find fifty tools by now that
attempt
> to address the problem of table repair, to various degrees of automation.

> But if you know the dud's "right in the middle" (i.e. you can scan it),
don't
> overlook the possibility of writing some kind of a salvage program.  Scan
the
> database backwards if that works, for instance.

Re:Recovering corrupt Paradox Tables

Stefan:
   When and where will your beta test program from recovering
   Paradox files be available?

Jon

: <nigel...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

: >are there any tools available for recovering corrupt Paradox tables  ??
: >
[...]

: --
: Stefan Hoffmeister                   Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.de
: University of Passau, Bavaria, Germany

J.L.Duerdoth                                jon.duerd...@sheridanc.on.ca
Professor                                   Voice: 905.845.9430 x2514
Telecommunications Technology               Fax:   905.815.4035
   & Computer Studies
Sheridan College
1430 Trafalgar Road
Oakville, ON, Canada L6H 2L1