Need help converting old Pascal files

I have an old turbo pascal system that I need to convert the files to an ascii
or text file.  I do not have a compiler or the source code.  I can not read the
files.  Is there anyway to convert these files so that I can read them?  The
system was written using data arrays and the files are not packed. Any help is
appreciated! Thanks,
Mary

Re:Need help converting old Pascal files

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:49:37 -0600, Mary Westendorf

<mary.westend...@uni.edu> wrote:
> Is there anyway to convert these files so that I can read them?

No, you have to have the source file(s).

Re:Need help converting old Pascal files

Mary Westendorf <mary.westend...@uni.edu> wrote:

|I have an old turbo pascal system that I need to convert the files to an ascii
|or text file.  I do not have a compiler or the source code.  I can not read the
|files.  Is there anyway to convert these files so that I can read them?  The
|system was written using data arrays and the files are not packed. Any help is
|appreciated! Thanks,

The quick answer is no.  However, if you have an operating program to
display the files, and the data files were written as records from an
array, it MIGHT be possible to get the file format from examining the
raw file and then write code to read the file.

How important is it?

Phil

"Mary Westendorf" <mary.westend...@uni.edu> wrote in message news:3BF3C7F1.25C615B9@uni.edu...
> I have an old turbo pascal system that I need to convert the files to an ascii
> or text file.  I do not have a compiler or the source code.  I can not read the
> files.  Is there anyway to convert these files so that I can read them?  The
> system was written using data arrays and the files are not packed. Any help is
> appreciated! Thanks,
> Mary

Presumably you mean the data files, and not the Pascal executables.  Compilation
is pretty much a one way trip.  Generating useful reverse assemblies is an art in
itself.

You could generate hex dumps, which are, technically, ascii or text files.  But
probably not what you're looking for.

Call in rent-a-geek.  You need someone who is comfortable reading hex dumps
and then writing file conversion programs.

If you still have the executables, I would back up your data files then either erase
all your data using whatever functions are in your software, or delete the files and see
if the software generates new "base" files.

If you know the dimension of your data arrays, that may help also.

Then add an element at a time and see what changes occur in your data files.  That
will start giving your an idea of the file format.  After each small run and data change,
re-examine your data files.

If you can't start with simple, base, files, you could experiment with changes in existing
fields, then finding the difference.

If you don't have the executables, or at least human readable hardcopy of some of
what's in the data files, your in rough shape..  Sorry.

I think we'd all be interested in how you make out on this...

hth

Rufus

<mary.westend...@uni.edu> wrote:
>I have an old turbo pascal system that I need to convert the files to an ascii
>or text file.  I do not have a compiler or the source code.  I can not read the
>files.  Is there anyway to convert these files so that I can read them?  The
>system was written using data arrays and the files are not packed. Any help is
>appreciated!

Are you talking about recovering data files made with the TP program,
or the program source files?

Re:Need help converting old Pascal files

Mary Westendorf <mary.westend...@uni.edu> wrote in message <news:3BF3C7F1.25C615B9@uni.edu>...
> I have an old turbo pascal system that I need to convert the files to an ascii
> or text file.  I do not have a compiler or the source code.  I can not read the
> files.  Is there anyway to convert these files so that I can read them?  The
> system was written using data arrays and the files are not packed. Any help is
> appreciated! Thanks,
> Mary

It's depent on how complicated and conencted files are. If there are
several
seperated files, it may be possible (but not easy) to convert it. If
it is
a kind of database (in pascal some people wrote small databases) I
think it is'nt possible because of too many connection between files.
W.

Other Threads