Re: I just can not do it...

2003-12-11 12:02:16 AM
delphi147
"Thomas Miller" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Borland decides to not put any more into
Delphi D7
What is the basis for saying this? If it were true, this really would be
suicide. However, I am not aware that Borland have made an official
statement along these lines.
Dave

Re: I just can not do it...

He is the captain. Even if the ship is sinking
he should stay with the ship, not jump in the first lifeboat when he
thinks he sees a leak in the hull.
Exactly, - if he is the captain, he should save lives of the passengers (and crew), not just
repeat (as an idiot) everything is ok.
I would say his job as chairman is to support the Delphi nature of the
group, such as organizing the group to inform Borland of their needs, not
to steer them to other products.
Personally I am of different opinion. If Delphi sux (current Fuller's Delphi) he must
say so to the folks what writings on the wall he see. He should not say " Oh, folks,
lets save Borland's ass another time with our pockets, - maybe next time it will save us".

Re: I just can not do it...

"K. Sallee" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
groaning and get down and write some letters, wave some banners, try to
get 3 minutes with people that make decisions, and most importantly form a
Reanimation on a corpse..

Re: I just can not do it...

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:46:34 +0100, "Ivan Rakyta"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
He is absolutely right, but it is sad that today's computer industry lives
more on expectations than on the real product.
It lives on what all companies live on -- profits.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: I just can not do it...

He is absolutely right, but it is sad that today's computer industry lives
more on expectations than on the real product.

Re: I just can not do it...

It lives on what all companies live on -- profits.
Or expectations of profit :)

Re: I just can not do it...

"K. Sallee" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
No one is going to listen to
unorganized people at newsgroups complaining.
If everybody here believed that, we would have a lot less
posting of negative messages around here. :)
Unfortunately, there seem to be at least a few dozen people here
who think Borland will change their business plans if they
complain loudly and frequently enough. And, while these people
may be competent as programmers, let's just say I am glad they
are not the people who are running Borland.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Chair, Paradox/Delphi SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group

Re: I just can not do it...

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:10:50 +0300, Andrew Rybenkov
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Exactly, - if he is the captain, he should save lives of the passengers
(and crew), not just repeat (as an idiot) everything is ok.
This assumes all crew and passengers also think the boat is sinking.
Clearer heads may see a leak that can be fixed.
lets save Borland's ass another time with our pockets, - maybe next time
it will save us".
You can also vote with your pocket by keeping it shut until your requests
are addressed. But you have to come to the table with reasonable requests
and you have to have clout in numbers. No one is going to listen to
unorganized people at newsgroups complaining.
Kevin
--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: www.opera.com/m2/

Re: I just can not do it...

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:36:46 -0800, Richard Grossman
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
because Microsoft tools don't come
with the source code and thus can not be self-patched.
Another good point.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: I just can not do it...

Jeffrey Michelson writes:
In one users group in Washington DC, the chairperson is enthusiastically
demontrating alternative-to-Delphi Pascal development environments and
compilers. He is very verbally disgusted with Borland's failure to offer
repairs to Delphi ver 7.0.
That story can not be true, however.
That would be highly illogical because Microsoft tools are patched
*less* frequently than Borland's, and because Microsoft tools don't come
with the source code and thus can not be self-patched.

Re: I just can not do it...

Borland supposedly has a lot of cash. Why dont they spend some of it
on getting the resources they need to support delphi and C++?

Re: I just can not do it...

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:45:06 GMT, XXXX@XXXXX.COM (Mike
Margerum) writes:
Why dont they spend some of it
on getting the resources they need to support delphi and C++?
Because spending that cash will increase expenses, and hurt their
earnings -- that is the general reason.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: I just can not do it...

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:02:16 -0000, "Dave Jewell"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
However, I am not aware that Borland have made an official
statement along these lines.
In fact, they've made statements exactly the opposite, but some here
take "not a strong enough, clear enough statement to please me" to
mean "Borland hasn't said anything".
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: I just can not do it...

Nick Hodges (TeamB) writes:
The people there occasionally post articles that are of interest. And
+sometimes+ you pick up interesting information.
Fair enough, same reason I like to hang out here. It has become harder
lately though, as the FUD levels seemed to have cranked up quite a few
decibels.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: I just can not do it...

Actions speak louder then words. Could someone check how long
it took for the first SP to be delivered on all previous Delphi
releases? Feel free to leave out D4. I'd bet the average around
or less then six months. It will easily be 3 x that long for
D7. This speaks volumes!!!!!!!

>Borland decides to not put any more into
>Delphi D7

What is the basis for saying this? If it were true, this really would be
suicide. However, I am not aware that Borland have made an official
statement along these lines.

Dave

--
Thomas Miller