Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

2005-10-20 06:02:00 PM
delphi7
Raize is the first choice for me when I look for something because they
"just work". The online help is excellent (some other vendors seem to just
have empty spaces documenting their properties) and you can rely on it.
Support is excellent too when you get adventurous, or want something added
due to some odd need you have.
DevExpress are worth a look, and TMS can be good if the documentation is
there.
/Matthew Jones/

Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

Absolutely - these are without a doubt the best components around. They are
not cheap but you do get what you pay for. Also have a subscription package
for developers so that you can get all of their components including new
ones as they are released.
Ken
"Ed Dressel" <none>writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
and why not Dev Express? there really nice and continually making strides
in quality.

Ed Dressel

Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

"James K Smith" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
The most strategic move though might be to go to AJAX. Desktop development
will be devalued in the coming years.

What is "AJAX"?
Robert

Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

DevExpress...
Their components are very nice, all of them can be embedded in their grids,
which are of course awesome.. The documentation is very good, with many
illustrated articles and examples in the help file.. Their newsgroups aren't
that hot, they rely instead on EMail support, which every time I have used it,
have had a great response within 24 hours..
The feature that totally sold me, was the Default Edit Style Controller.
Plop ONE of them on ANY form in the system, and by setting a single
property, you can change the look of ALL components on ALL forms at
run-time, from flat, to ultraflat with hot-tracking, to normal 3d, to
office-11, etc.. Instant gratification, indeed...
Rob

Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

Chris writes:
Also, are there any other components suites I should look at?

I am currently using Delphi 7.
I've always been very, very happy with Raize. Not only are the components
good and good-looking, they're incredibly well architected. Raize 2.52c,
for example, compiles *and works* almost without changes in Delphi 6, 7,
and 2005.
I personally just purchased the upgrade to Raize 3.1. No higher measure
of satisfaction for me than to keep buying the upgrades.
--
-Brion
'There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'

Chris writes:
Also, are there any other components suites I should look at?
I would also whole heartedly suggest looking into DevExpress. Their
subscription is a great buy, and their components are all top notch.
Quantum Grid will get you a great grid and a ton of stand alone editors
and components.

Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

rbwinston writes:
Maybe he doesn't know they are now open source.
Even open sourced, Orpheus is dead. No bug fixes, no new features, no
cosmetic fixes, etc.

Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

Even open sourced, Orpheus is dead. No bug fixes, no new features, no
cosmetic fixes, etc.
and after switching from it, I don't miss it. Nor did I like it when I had
it

Ed Dressel writes:
and after switching from it, I don't miss it. Nor did I like it when
I had it
Orpheus was the first 3rd party library I ever used (back in the D1
days) and I loved it. But over time I used it less and less, especially
as it began to look very dated. I don't know when the last time I even
installed it was, and like you, I don't miss it.

Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

Robert writes:
What is "AJAX"?
New hype around old technology. Basically it allows you to update a web
page's content without refreshing it. Data is streamed asynchronously
though javascript and the page is redrawn. For some reason it is fueling
a whole new round of "who-needs-applications-when-we-have-the-web"
arguments.
The web <>applications. Applications <>the web. There is a place for
each of them.

Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

Asynchronous javascript and XML. Latest Infoworld has a good article on it.

Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

In article <4356c262$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
The most strategic move though might be to go to AJAX. Desktop development
will be devalued in the coming years.
Ajax has no place on the desktop for sure...

Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

Orpheus's "picture" edits still are better than anything else that I
have found!!!!!!
I ended up writing a new component with a friend to handle phone
numbers, SSN's, parts numbers, etc...
I tried to suck out Orpheus's picture edits... but it was waaay over my
head!!!<g>
-Raymond

and after switching from it, I don't miss it. Nor did I like it when I had
it

Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

Orpheus's "picture" edits still are better than anything else that I have
found!!!!!!
they did that very well very early on--but look at DevEx regular expressions
today and they do a great job (a bit of a learning curve at first, but much
more flexible then what Orpheus did).
Ed Dressel

Re: Need new component suite to replace Orpheus

Ed, thanks for the info!!! sounds interesting...
I did look but I have to admit very quickly, because although the RegEx
can verify that what the user entered "fits" various formats, it did not
provide the nice literal "jumping"...
Difficult to explain<g>, but with a US phone number, lets say we want a
mask like this:
(###)_999-999
With the area code being optional.
If I enter the area code, I want my cursor to jump over the ")_" and
allow me to just keep entering the phone number and then jump over the
"-" between the numbers too...
Frustrating to try and explain this behavior (or maybe I just have not
had enough coffee yet!<g>) but hopefully you can understand what I mean.
Does the DevEx provide this sort of active masking? (and of course, I do
not want _anything_ to do with the normal masked edits... (not too long
ago, a customer requested/demanded! that I remove all of the
TMaskedEdit's and use something else)
Many thanks,
-Raymond