Merge Module DCOM95 for installshield

2003-10-13 10:50:03 PM
delphi176
When I create an installation package with Installshield Express for a
program created with Delphi 6 that uses ADO to access a Microsoft Database,
I include the MDAC25 Merge Module and this automatically adds the DCOM95
merge module. There does not appear to be such a thing as a DCOM98 merge
module.
I know from doing VB(Visual Basic) installations involving ADO that on a Win 95 computer
I had to first install DCOM95 and the MDAC and finally the program; with Win
98 systems, I had to first install DCOM98.
What I am wondering is if the DCOM95 merge module actually takes into
consideration if the installation is going on a Win 95 or 98 system and
installs the correct version of DCOM.

Re:Merge Module DCOM95 for installshield

"William LaMartin" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
When I create an installation package with Installshield Express for a
program created with Delphi 6 that uses ADO to access a Microsoft
Database,
I include the MDAC25 Merge Module and this automatically adds the DCOM95
merge module. There does not appear to be such a thing as a DCOM98 merge
module.

I know from doing VB(Visual Basic) installations involving ADO that on a Win 95
computer
I had to first install DCOM95 and the MDAC and finally the program; with
Win
98 systems, I had to first install DCOM98.

What I am wondering is if the DCOM95 merge module actually takes into
consideration if the installation is going on a Win 95 or 98 system and
installs the correct version of DCOM.

IIRC the DCOM95 update was redistributable, but the DCOM98 wasn't - users
need to get it from the MS WWW site.
I've run one of my D7/ADO apps on a Win 98 system without installing
anything extra. Make sure they install a recent version of internet
explorer, I think it installs MDAC and the DCOM update.
Andrew

Re:Merge Module DCOM95 for installshield

Andrew Skinner <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
in message XXXX@XXXXX.COM
"William LaMartin" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
[...]
>What I am wondering is if the DCOM95 merge module actually takes into
>consideration if the installation is going on a Win 95 or 98 system
>and installs the correct version of DCOM.
Yes. DCOM95 is not DCOM98.
IIRC the DCOM95 update was redistributable, but the DCOM98 wasn't -
users need to get it from the MS WWW site.
I don't remember that. I have got a local copy of DCOM98 1.3 I distribute if
I have to.
I've run one of my D7/ADO apps on a Win 98 system without installing
anything extra. Make sure they install a recent version of internet
explorer, I think it installs MDAC and the DCOM update.
Win95 shipped without DCOM or MDAC. To install MDAC you must install DCOM95
first, otherwise you will {*word*81} W95 right up and have to reinstall it.
Win98 shipped with DCOM98 1.2 but no MDAC. You can just install MDAC on W98
but most people prefer to update DCOM98 to 1.3 first.
IE4 and above installs DCOM (if necessary) and MDAC (which version varies).
--
A: Top-posters.

Re:Merge Module DCOM95 for installshield

Thanks. That jarred my memory. It never made sense to me that DCOM98 was
not redistributable. I will provide DCOM98 in the future (as I used to do
with VB) and ask that it be run on Win 98 computers before any installation
involving MDAC.
I suppose the reason I haven't run into problems before with installations
is that most computers in the past couple of years actually already have
MDAC installed due to IE.
"Andrew Skinner" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>When I create an installation package with Installshield Express for a
>program created with Delphi 6 that uses ADO to access a Microsoft
Database,
>I include the MDAC25 Merge Module and this automatically adds the DCOM95
>merge module. There does not appear to be such a thing as a DCOM98
merge
>module.
>
>I know from doing VB(Visual Basic) installations involving ADO that on a Win 95
computer
>I had to first install DCOM95 and the MDAC and finally the program; with
Win
>98 systems, I had to first install DCOM98.
>
>What I am wondering is if the DCOM95 merge module actually takes into
>consideration if the installation is going on a Win 95 or 98 system and
>installs the correct version of DCOM.

IIRC the DCOM95 update was redistributable, but the DCOM98 wasn't - users
need to get it from the MS WWW site.

I've run one of my D7/ADO apps on a Win 98 system without installing
anything extra. Make sure they install a recent version of internet
explorer, I think it installs MDAC and the DCOM update.

Andrew

Re:Merge Module DCOM95 for installshield

Thanks for that. Where do you get this encylopaedic knowledge of MS
versioning?
What does DCOM98 1.3 do over 1.2?
Andrew
BTW I think I might be right about DCOM98 not being redistributable.

Re:Merge Module DCOM95 for installshield

Andrew Skinner <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
in message XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Thanks for that. Where do you get this encylopaedic knowledge of MS
versioning?
From years of tripping over M$. Actually, I have post far more detailed
versions (ha!) of that in this group before. Google is your friend.
What does DCOM98 1.3 do over 1.2?
{*word*81}ed if I know. Fewer bugs probably.
Andrew

BTW I think I might be right about DCOM98 not being redistributable.
Since 98 is officially dead now I doubt it matters.
--
A: Top-posters.