Re: Borland Reports Net Loss of $5.7M

2004-01-31 03:41:29 AM
delphi164
Not if you sell hardware.
Or if you sell services (deploying, maintaining, training, etc) for free
software.
Or if free software makes a business otherwise unprofitable profitable.
Or if poor countries can use it in schools, hospitals, etc, without paying
high fees for OSes, Spreadsheets, and the like, and contributing back with
code.
Or if you are a closed-source company with a good ERP solution like SAP,
which can use a free back-end like mySQL.
Or... ;-)
Regards,
MARCO

Re: Borland Reports Net Loss of $5.7M

So, no tea and biscuits at the board meetings then?
--
Yours
Rhys

Re: Borland Reports Net Loss of $5.7M

"Admiral Jake" <johnjac76[nospam]@comcast.net>writes
"Derek Davidson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>Admiral Jake writes:
>
>>More of the joys of free software, the most destructuve force in
>>modern technology.
>
>I'm a little stunned by that statement, Jake. Do you really believe it?

What forces do you believe are more destructive?
Or to turn the statement around since you made it, what examples of
destruction by free software do you want to offer up?
Gerald

Re: Borland Reports Net Loss of $5.7M

The latest quarter results from Borland make dismal reading :( Net
Loss of $5.7M and no cheering news on the horizon.
They posted operating profits of 4.7 million or 6 cents per share.
Operating profits are good.
The 5.7 million dollar loss was due to est 10 million in restructuring,
which means Borland is thinking ahead. The payoff of restructuring will be
seen down the road.
Revenue rose 10%.
Their earning forecast going forward looks very good. And analysts seem to
agree.
John

Re: Borland Reports Net Loss of $5.7M

Or if you are IBM and you can give away Eclipse for free to boost WebSphere
sales...
--
Luigi D. Sandon
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: Borland Reports Net Loss of $5.7M

And, even if you're Borland, you can open-source a version of IB (6.0.2),
and allow Delphi/JBuilder/C++Builder developers to use it in many solutions,
while, at the same time, also offer a closed-source, more complete version.
The list is endless :-)
Regards,
MARCO

Re: Borland Reports Net Loss of $5.7M

Derek Davidson writes:
Not according to Reuters:
If you look at practically every statement ever made about Borland by
Reuter's, it is expressed as negatively as possible, particularly the
headlines and summaries.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
Don't miss the best BorCon ever! info.borland.com/conf2003/

Re: Borland Reports Net Loss of $5.7M

"Marco" <msangali@nospam>writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

>Not if you sell hardware.

Or if you sell services (deploying, maintaining, training, etc) for free
software.

In which case it is not free to the buyer.

Or if free software makes a business otherwise unprofitable profitable.
That would be an interesting trick. If you acquire something
for nothing and suddenly you're profitable. Methinks profitability
comes from selling a product or service for more than its cost
of production.
--
Hilton Evans

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
If you look at practically every statement ever made about Borland by
Reuter's, it is expressed as negatively as possible, particularly the
headlines and summaries.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

JohnE writes:
The 5.7 million dollar loss was due to est 10 million in
restructuring, which means Borland is thinking ahead.
But to balance that, we do see a lot of 'one-time charges' appearing on
quarterly results from Borland. it is easy to be seduced by the mere
phrase but the reality is far more harsh. More so for the poor souls
who had to collect their pink slips.
Revenue rose 10%.
But included, I am led to believe, $3.5M from a Lucent sale made some
time ago but that could only appear now. A 'one-off sale' if you will.
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Borland Reports Net Loss of $5.7M

David Smith writes:
Maybe they haven't promised it, but I think that it was Corbin Dunn
that said in some newsgroup that a new Win32 version is coming. And I
don't think he meant the SP for D7.
If you can give us a link for that, I know we'd all be grateful.
Well, for you there are going to be many, many sad, sad days ahead
indeed. You are just that kind of person.
I've looked at, and listed, the facts that I have at hand. To me it
doesn't make good reading to me. I realize that your perception may
well differ.
For us others (and Borland), there are going to be good times and
then better times.
Your optimism does you proud. My best wishes.
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Borland Reports Net Loss of $5.7M

Derek Davidson writes:
boost of JBuilder sales, no new version of Delphi for Win32 promised,
Maybe they haven't promised it, but I think that it was Corbin Dunn that
said in some newsgroup that a new Win32 version is coming. And I don't
think he meant the SP for D7.
Sad, sad days indeed.
Well, for you there are going to be many, many sad, sad days ahead
indeed. You are just that kind of person.
For us others (and Borland), there are going to be good times and then
better times.
David

Derek Davidson writes:
I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.
You're welcome. I don't know why that is, but it is unfortunately too
often true.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
Don't miss the best BorCon ever! info.borland.com/conf2003/
Add a feature/Fix a bug: qc.borland.com
Get source: codecentral.borland.com

Re: Borland Reports Net Loss of $5.7M

Derek Davidson writes:
Analysts on average had forecast the company to report 8 cents a share
on a continuing operations basis, according to Reuters Research, a
unit of Reuters Plc."
They need to do better research. The average forecast was half that.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
Don't miss the best BorCon ever! info.borland.com/conf2003/
Add a feature/Fix a bug: qc.borland.com
Get source: codecentral.borland.com

Re: Borland Reports Net Loss of $5.7M

Oh, it wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Think about, say, a small
accounting office in a 3rd world country like the one I live in. Licencing
MS Office and Windows for, say, 20 machines can impede the business for
being created. One licence for Win XP Pro + Office XP costs about twice the
month salary of an accountant. So, free software allows profitability for
business which, whitout it, could not even be created due to high costs of
closed source packages.
On the other hand, these guys will continue needing consulting, training,
etc., making another opportunity for open-source services companies.