Distributing apps under Server 7

2003-12-11 01:22:50 PM
delphi236
G'day all,
D7 Pro, ADOdataSets/Query, MS Server 7
My app is currently being developed on a stand-alone PC and I am
nearly at the stage where it could be installed on the server.
Any hints on what I need to do in addition to transferring the
EXE file would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks
Bill

Re:Distributing apps under Server 7

I'm not sure what you mean by "installed on the server", but if you're
developing a two tier client-serve app, here's what you need:
On the client machine(s):
1) Make sure MDAC is installed (comes with W2K and WinXP). You can easily
include it in your setup routine. This way you will make sure your users will
be running your app with the latest version of MDAC. Or you can restrict
your setup to only run on Win2K or WinXP.
2) Copy your exe.
3) Copy other files you may have (on line help, etc)
You create a setup routine with Innosetup (freeware), InstallShield or Wise.
On the server:
1) Install MS SQL 7 if it is not already there.
2) Create your database and seed it with some data if needed. A database SQL
script can be easily created on your development machine.
3) Set up security on your server (trusted or non trusted user accounts).
--
Alain Quesnel
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

G'day all,
D7 Pro, ADOdataSets/Query, MS Server 7
My app is currently being developed on a stand-alone PC and I am
nearly at the stage where it could be installed on the server.
Any hints on what I need to do in addition to transferring the
EXE file would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks
Bill

Re:Distributing apps under Server 7

BTW, you don't need the SQL Server client if you're using ADO/MDAC. You
would if you were using the BDE.
--
Alain Quesnel
XXXX@XXXXX.COM