Interbase vs other dbs

2005-02-23 08:35:35 PM
delphi37
Hi
Are the principles of transaction in Interbase (Like: record version, long
transaction, ..., etc) the same with other server database systems like: SQL
server, Oracle, MySQL, ..., etc.?
This because I was in discussion with my friend whos work with Oracle about
"Not to leave the transaction for a long time", but he told me: in Oracle
there is not such as this term.
Thanks.

Re:Interbase vs other dbs

The principal problem with long running transactions in locking model
databases, such as Oracle, is that updated rows will remain locked for the
duration of the transaction so other users cannot update them.
Long running transactions are not a problem in InterBase 7.5 except in two
cases. The first is read committed read/write transactions where you do
not call commit retaining after updating rows and the second is snapshot
transactions. Read committed read only transactions and read committed
read/write transactions where you call commit retaining periodically after
updates can run as long as you like.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

Re:Interbase vs other dbs

Hello,
Are the principles of transaction in Interbase (Like: record version, long
transaction, ..., etc) the same with other server database systems like:
SQL
server, Oracle, MySQL, ..., etc.?

This because I was in discussion with my friend whos work with Oracle
about
"Not to leave the transaction for a long time", but he told me: in Oracle
there is not such as this term.
In addition to Bills answers ...
Oracle does have the same "writers don't block readers" approach,
with versioning.
Ask your friend about blown Oracle rollback segments and ask them
why they happen.
MySQL:
the transaction-cabable table-type variant (InnoDB) uses versioning
as well.
MS SQL Server:
With this one, readers are blocked from rows, pages and ultimately,
whole tables, if the reader is reading from uncommitted updated
rows. Very very annoying when developing :-)
--
With regards,
Martijn Tonies

Re:Interbase vs other dbs

Hi Martijn,
>Are the principles of transaction in Interbase (Like: record version, long
>transaction, ..., etc) the same with other server database systems like:

SQL

>server, Oracle, MySQL, ..., etc.?
>
>This because I was in discussion with my friend whos work with Oracle

about

>"Not to leave the transaction for a long time", but he told me: in Oracle
>there is not such as this term.

In addition to Bills answers ...

Oracle does have the same "writers don't block readers" approach,
with versioning.

Ask your friend about blown Oracle rollback segments and ask them
why they happen.

MySQL:
the transaction-cabable table-type variant (InnoDB) uses versioning
as well.

MS SQL Server:
With this one, readers are blocked from rows, pages and ultimately,
whole tables, if the reader is reading from uncommitted updated
rows. Very very annoying when developing :-)
This will change a bit in Yukon with the Snapshot Isolation Support.
AFAIK. ;-)
--
Best Regards,
Thomas Steinmaurer