BDP.Net available as a separate product

2004-12-02 08:50:58 AM
delphi189
Hello all,
I am trying to ascertain if the Borland Data Provider for .Net (BDP.Net)
component suite that ships with Delphi and C# Builder is available as a
separate product?
I seem to recall when the BDP was announced, that is was to be made
available separately so that Visual Studio users (amongst others) could
benefit from the technology. However, I see no mention of this in the Help
or Web site.
Thanks in advance
Mark Weston

Re:BDP.Net available as a separate product

I can definitely remember this as well being announced. I am not sure if it
is still the case.

I seem to recall when the BDP was announced, that is was to be made
available separately so that Visual Studio users (amongst others) could
benefit from the technology. However, I see no mention of this in the Help
or Web site.

Re:BDP.Net available as a separate product

What about licensing issues?
I don't think it is a seperate product, but I can verify that it does
work in VS.NET ;-) So, if you buy a copy of Delphi you can use it
VS.NET.

Re:BDP.Net available as a separate product

What about licensing issues?
Read the license. I doubt there is anything in there which says you can't
use it in VS and also deploy it.
--
Pete
-------

Craig van Nieuwkerk writes:
What about licensing issues?

I believe the licensing pertains to development only. Hence, every
developer who uses BDP will need a copy of Delphi on their development
machine. And I am guessing that they don't even need to be actively
using BDP. If they have it installed just to work with the project
they'll need a license.
I'm sure there aren't any runtime licenses for BDP.
Cheers,
Kevin.
--
Need to compare and synchronize SQL Server database schemas?
Try SQLMatcher: www.berryware.com/sqlmatcher/

Re:BDP.Net available as a separate product

Thanks for the replies.
I reveived confirmation from Borland Oz that the BDP is available only with
a purchase of Delphi or C# Builder.
I did get the BDP going in VS2003, so no problem there. The only issue is
the cost of aquiring the technology.
Regards,
Mark
"Mark Weston" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Mark Weston writes:
Thanks for the replies.

I reveived confirmation from Borland Oz that the BDP is available
only with a purchase of Delphi or C# Builder.

I did get the BDP going in VS2003, so no problem there. The only
issue is the cost of aquiring the technology.

Regards,

Mark
Agreed. Purchasing VS2003 is an unreasonable overhead. You're much
better off just using Delphi 2005. :)
Joking aside, I have both VS2003 and Delphi 2005 available, and Delphi
is going to be my primary development environment (as soon as I get
everything ported), including C# projects. So far I haven't had any
trouble importing/exporting VS2003 projects, and I prefer Delphi's IDE.
My biggest savings will come from not having to switch between the
IDEs. I lose time stumbling around with the differences between them,
especially on a couple of projects that have both Delphi and C# pieces
where I move back and forth fairly often. That F5/F9 thing is driving
me nuts.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Bruce McGee writes:
I lose time stumbling around with the differences between them,
especially on a couple of projects that have both Delphi and C#
pieces where I move back and forth fairly often.
That F5/F9 thing is driving me nuts.
LOL!!
Took me about one year to get my two brain halves completely separated,
now I have no problems at all, I switch automatically without thinking
about it.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
LOL!!
Took me about one year to get my two brain halves completely
separated, now I have no problems at all, I switch automatically
without thinking about it.
I'm sure I would eventually get used to it too. Fortunately, I don't have
to. :)
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Re:BDP.Net available as a separate product

>That F5/F9 thing is driving me nuts.

LOL!!
Took me about one year to get my two brain halves completely
separated, now I have no problems at all, I switch automatically
without thinking about it.
Use that:
www.usysware.com/dpack/
--
Hannes Danzl [NexusDB Developer]
Newsgroup archive at www.tamaracka.com/search.htm

Re:BDP.Net available as a separate product

Hannes Danzl[NDD] writes:
Use that:
www.usysware.com/dpack/
I second that. DPack is by far my favourite VS.NET 2003 add-in.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Bruce McGee writes:
Ingvar Nilsen writes:

>LOL!! Took me about one year to get my two brain halves completely
>separated, now I have no problems at all, I switch automatically
>without thinking about it.

I'm sure I would eventually get used to it too. Fortunately, I don't
have to. :)
It can be customized. However, I tend to do little customization. By
using the default settings, I find it easier to communicate and
cooperate with others regarding the use of the applications.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

David Clegg writes:
Hannes Danzl[NDD] writes:

>Use that: www.usysware.com/dpack/

I second that. DPack is by far my favourite VS.NET 2003 add-in.
One feature Delphi has which makes it superior to other editors is the
hyperlink kind of navigation in he code.
In VS.NET you have to open a menu to do the same, what a stone age method.
--
Ingvar Nilsen