RAD-installer cannot find MDAC on Vista PC

2008-06-03 09:32:59 PM
delphi71
When installing RADStudio 2007 on Vista (incl. SP1), I get this error:
RAD STUDIO requires MDAC 2.8 with service pack 1 or later....
RAD STUDIO Setup cannot continue
As far as I know, MDAC is part of Vista itself, and can not be installed
separately anymore.
How can I get rid of this error and complete my installation?
Thanks,
Tiedo
--

Re:RAD-installer cannot find MDAC on Vista PC

no, MDAC is a Microsoft component. search for it on Microsoft's download
site.
--
Frank M. Cook
www.acsplus.com

Frank M. Cook writes:
no, MDAC is a Microsoft component. search for it on Microsoft's
download site.
Microsofts download site only tells that MDAC can not be downloaded for
Vista, because it is part of Vista it self.
Still the Delphi 2007 installer is complaining about it not being there (on
Vista)...
Anyone any idea?
Tiedo
--

Re:RAD-installer cannot find MDAC on Vista PC

Hi Tiedo,
I'm a reseller of Delphi in the BeneLux, and I have not heard reports of
MDAC problems installing Delphi 2007 on Vista before...
Microsofts download site only tells that MDAC can not be downloaded for
Vista, because it is part of Vista it self.
But you can still download it from
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx
Still the Delphi 2007 installer is complaining about it not being there (on
Vista)...
Which version (and language) of Vista are you using?
Anyone any idea?
I would try Microsoft's MDAC Utility: Component Checked, which can be
downloaded from
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx
Component Checker is a customizable tool that performs the following tasks:
- Identifies the current MDAC installation on a computer.
- Creates a series of reports about the files identified for the current
MDAC installation.
It does not mention Windows Vista, which uses Data Access Components
(Windows DAC) 6.0, which *should* be compatible with MDAC 2.8.
See also msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms692877.aspx
Tiedo
Groetjes,
Bob Swart
CodeGear Technology Partner -- CodeGear RAD Studio Reseller (BeNeLux)
Delphi Win32 & .NET books on Lulu.com: stores.lulu.com/drbob42
Personal courseware + e-mail support www.ebob42.com/courseware
Blog: www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: eBob42.com/weblog.xml

Bob Swart writes:
But you can still download it from

https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx

I would try Microsoft's MDAC Utility: Component Checked, which can be
downloaded from

https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx

Actually the problem appeared on the PC of a colleague of mine.
He installed RAD2007 on two machines (office and home) with the same
Vista 32 Ultimate SP1.
On the office machine everything is ok, the problem is only on the
home-machine.
He allready tried downloading MDAC, that didn't help. He will try the
Component Checker.
If that doesn't help, the only solution will probably be carefully
cleaning up and reinstalling Vista.
Thanks anyway,
Tiedo