Re: Delphi 2006 announced

Kirk Halgren writes:
<snip>
>"Borland are so politically correct, inclusive and thrusting. Let
>"me buy their products
<snip>

Do you mean "trusting"? ;-)
Heh. No - thrusting. Like dynamic young execs. Think Wall Street (lunch
is for Wimps!) etc.
--
Colin - Author of XanaNews

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

In article <434c9db9$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Then it appears you got a freebie. The feature matrix indicates what is
supposed to be in each SKU. That is what the team reviews and agrees
on. Looks like it was a delivery bug to me.
Since the CD and packaging are quite clearly labeled Pro, and I don't
have any other features from Enterprise, I am skeptical. The auto run
installer gives me the following options:
C++ Builder 6
Interbase 6.5 Desktop
Remote De{*word*81} Server
Install Shield Express Custom Edition for C++ Builder
I assume, that the Enterprise edition had more options. (I may be
incorrect)
--
-David

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

David Dean writes:
Since the CD and packaging are quite clearly labeled Pro, and I don't
have any other features from Enterprise, I am skeptical. The auto run
installer gives me the following options:
I'm going to have to talk with someone with a better memory than me.
I've got my C++Builder 6 box somewhere. I will bring the issue up again
since it was featured so prominently in Pro.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

Colin Wilson writes:
BTW, Colin, would you be so kind to look at my post titled "Archiving
with threaded view" in xananews.support? it is from may 17
Thanks
--
Jos?

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

Brion L. Webster writes:
I posted this yesterday:
Thanks Brion!
--
Robin.
<disclaimer>Not an expert </disclaimer>

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

David Dean writes:
Since the CD and packaging are quite clearly labeled Pro, and I don't
have any other features from Enterprise, I am skeptical
Ok, FTR: it doesn't matter whether you're skeptical or not. Remote
debugging was never intended to be in the Pro SKU by product
management. However, integration delivered it there.
It looks like we may officially put it in the Pro SKU now, because of
course people will not accept the fact that this freebie was actually a
freebie for Pro, and a delivery bug. Watch for the final feature matrix
to see.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

David Dean writes:
I can believe that. What I was skeptical about was that I got
something that most people didn't.
LOL! Ok, now I got it. :D
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

Remote debugging was definitely in Delphi 7 Pro - I installed it here a
few months ago, from the install CD as described by David.
/Matthew Jones/

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

But it was not in the feature matrix for Pro, was it?
Not sure that the accuracy of the feature matrix should be the judge of
what was sold to customers. The record of updates is not good.
Remote debugging is documented in the Delphi 7 Pro help file.
Remote Debugging was an enterprise thing in earlier editions, and got
moved down a level, like many such things.
/Matthew Jones/

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

Matthew Jones writes:
Not sure that the accuracy of the feature matrix should be the judge
of what was sold to customers.
The feature matrix indicates what was SUPPOSED to be sold to customers.
--

Matthew Jones writes:
Not sure that the accuracy of the feature matrix should be the judge
of what was sold to customers.
Also, I am not sure what you're trying to get to here: I am on the Delphi
core team, I am talking to the people who built the products and
determined what goes in each SKU, and I am telling you what was supposed
to ship in the versions of the product. Are you trying to tell me I'm
wrong?
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

What I was getting at is that the published feature matrix seems to get
changed when people spot flaws. I would rather the internal version from some
meeting you had was deemed as the determination of what was supposed to be
in or out. Obviously you aren't going to show it to the world, but a PDF
on a web site can be updated easily. That said - I wonder what the Way
back machine has on this! 8-)
/Matthew Jones/

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

XXXX@XXXXX.COM (Matthew Jones) wrote in
hat said - I wonder what the Way
back machine has on this! 8-)
web.archive.org/web/20030820212450/www.borland.com/delphi/pdf/del7
_feamatrix.pdf
--
Iman

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

Matthew Jones writes:
What I was getting at is that the published feature matrix seems to
get changed when people spot flaws.
It gets corrected.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re: Delphi 2006 announced

Shhh! 8-)
/Matthew Jones/