Delphi 2005 is not working for me too!

2005-02-27 06:44:35 AM
delphi277
Hi ,
Well... would like to put some good words for Delphi2005 (VCL), but I am afraid I just
can't :-(
I made a copy of a large project of mine. Modified it to use with the new IDE...
After a few minutes working on it, Delphi2005 just closes! I tried disabling
"together", it worked a little longer... but still, is VERY slow. ( I believe I have
a rather fast Workstation... Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz, 2Gbytes Ram, almost 100 Gbytes free
Scsi 320 hard drive. By that, we can conclude that I just can not stand wait for more
that a few seconds!)
Needless to say that my large project converted to 2005. But I just can "trust" it
after all that bumping road! I got no problems with components or packages. Only IDE
"related" stuff (Freezing or delphi close up). Working on those conditions is _very_
frustrating. And I went from Delphi 7 Enterprise, to D2005 Architect.... That will sure
teach me a lesson.
But this week I tried to give it another chance, and start a small project.
I pick up a Win32 Application... Create a new Datamodule... Drop a TSQLConnect on
it... Set the parameters to connect to my database... Tested it (by setting connected
to true)... Rename it from SQLConnect1 to ExpConnection and clicked on the Datamodule
(The component was selected, I just clicked out of it)... and Delphi closes!
I restart the project 5 times!!!! I was ready to give up when I clicked one last time
on the Datamodule to unselect the component, and Delphi still continues to work!
I set a few more components (like Datasets) and Connected the SQLConnect, the data
showed up. Seemed like a victory!!! Reset the connection, clicked on the Datamodule
and Delphi closes again!
I'm very frustated. I just can see how I can trust such IDE!
May be borland don't care for its customers, must have Guzzilions of them...
But I have just a few! And if I released a program with that stability: Patients
would die!
I will wait for the next service pack to give D2005 (Win32) another chance.
I just would like to end my email with something my grand-father told me:
"A company is capable until it becomes incapable."
Clément

Re:Delphi 2005 is not working for me too!

If you are dealing with only Win32, you may want to disable other D2005
personalities and other unecessary packages.
There are at least two utilities that allows you to manage, mine at
www.codeline.net, and JED's
www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/dcm.htm. Choose whichever you like.
I have been using Delphi with only one personality, Win32 only and C#
only for three months without having major problem. Only once Delphi
2005 raised exception that it ran out resources and closeed itself.
I also recommend you to download the update 1.
If you want to use Win32 only personality and enable refactoring, check
out my blog at
blogs.slcdug.org/esaputra/archive/2005/02/12/1120.aspx
Wien.
--
blogs.slcdug.org/esaputra
Delphi Setting Manager - www.codeline.net

Re:Delphi 2005 is not working for me too!

"Clément Doss" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
Well... would like to put some good words for Delphi2005 (VCL), but I'm
afraid I just
can't :-(
[...]
I'm very frustated. I just can see how I can trust such IDE!
Don't people ever learn? Ask for the TeamB Edition when you purchase your
D2005!

Re:Delphi 2005 is not working for me too!

"Clément Doss" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Hi ,

Well... would like to put some good words for Delphi2005 (VCL), but I'm
afraid I just can not :-(
Welcome to the Club. I have succesfully downgraded a D2005 project back to
D7 and boy, I am GLAD I did that.

Re:Delphi 2005 is not working for me too!

LOL
somebody writes:

Don't people ever learn? Ask for the TeamB Edition when you purchase your
D2005!

--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

Re:Delphi 2005 is not working for me too!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Cl=E9ment_Doss?= <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<4220fb97$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
I will wait for the next service pack to give D2005 (Win32) another chance.
Did you install the first one? And did you use a utility like DCM to remove
the .NET personalities? One I did these two things I found D2005 Pro to be
quite stable and useful. Might work for Architect too.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.436

Re:Delphi 2005 is not working for me too!

"Erwien Saputra" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
If you are dealing with only Win32, you may want to disable other D2005
personalities and other unecessary packages.
Something occured to me. I haven't seen many posts, positive (hey, it could
happen :D) or negative, from users of "other" D2005 personalities. Surely, a
.Net user has no option to disable the .Net personalities so they are
screwed. What do Delphi .Net programmers do, and more importantly, where are
they? My guesses:
1. Such users don't exist: Pretty much nobody who bought D2005 uses .Net
personalities
2. They are by definition a {*word*37}ic bunch and don't complain about
performance or stability.
Any other guesses?

Re:Delphi 2005 is not working for me too!

somebody <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>>1. Such users don't exist: Pretty much
nobody who bought D2005 uses .Net
personalities
2. They are by definition a {*word*37}ic bunch and don't complain about
performance or stability.

Any other guesses?
My guess is that your guess is based on an incomplete information set, and
therefore anything you conclude based on a perceived absence of something is
an invalid conclusion. It is rarely a good idea to assume that NOT-A = B .
I've seen posts from D2005 .NET users here, by the way.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.439

somebody writes:

Something occured to me. I haven't seen many posts, positive (hey, it
could happen :D) or negative, from users of "other" D2005
personalities. Surely, a .Net user has no option to disable the .Net
personalities so they are screwed. What do Delphi .Net programmers
do, and more importantly, where are they?
Well, that is not correct. I at least use C# personality with Delphi
2005, that is the 'other' personality.
I recalled Borland had said that according to their research,
Delphi.Net is not late. I was an early adopter, and at that time there
were Delphi.Net compiler preview or C#. On 2002 Microsoft gave me a
copy of VS.Net for free, so I chose C# and I am used to it. That is the
only reason I use C#, for me, Delphi.Net was late.
D2005 was released recently, it is more useable than D8, I am sure
there are some Delphi.Net developers, and there will be more after some
time.
Wien.
--
blogs.slcdug.org/esaputra
Delphi Setting Manager - www.codeline.net

Re:Delphi 2005 is not working for me too!

My guess is that your guess is based on an incomplete information set,
Well, that is a safe bet. <g>
Unless there is someone here named 'GOD' with unlimited powers of
omniscience and nothing better to do than hang around to see if Delphi lives
or dies (which of course would already be known due to said powers of
omniscience . . .), then of course it is based on a limited info set.
Which raises the point of why this would be a remarkable point to bring up
at all . . . <g>
Lauchlan M

Re:Delphi 2005 is not working for me too!

somebody writes:
Something occurred to me. I haven't seen many posts, positive (hey, it
could happen :D) or negative, from users of "other" D2005
personalities. Surely, a .Net user has no option to disable the .Net
personalities so they are screwed. What do Delphi .Net programmers
do, and more importantly, where are they? My guesses:

1. Such users don't exist: Pretty much nobody who bought D2005 uses
.Net personalities
2. They are by definition a {*word*37}ic bunch and don't complain about
performance or stability.

Any other guesses?
Here are the projects in my DelphiConfigManager project group:
* 7 win32 projects
* 3 win32 console projects
* 1 C#Builder project
* 1 Dot Net package (assembly)
* 1 VCL.NET project
* 3 Win32 packages
I run DCM under a full configuration. Hardly get a crash...
cheers,
JED
--
Screenshots from Version 2 of DCM now available from

Erwien Saputra writes:
There are at least two utilities that allows you to manage, mine at
www.codeline.net,
Cool, I will be sure to check it out :-)
--
Screenshots of Version 2 of DCM now available from
www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/dcm.htm