Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

2006-08-15 04:49:37 AM
delphi254
"Lucian" wrote
When did this change? I thought Delphi compiler is written
in Pascal and I think Turbo (Borland) Pascal were also
written in Pascal.
The original Turbo Pascal compiler was written in asm, and later re-written
in C. Much or most of the Delphi IDE is written in Delphi, but that was
never true of the compiler AFAIK.
bobD

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

"Mark J. Wallin"writes:

I remember when I first encountered the concept of a compiler (somewhere
around the lower Triassic period, I believe). They told me the
Fortran compiler I was using was written in Fortran. That kind of blew
my mind: I had a hard time grasping how a compiler could be written
using itself. Kind of like the sci-fi story about being one's own
grandfather.
According to Kernighan & Ritche, the inventors of 'C', it was originally
designed and implemented for the UNIX OS on the DEC PDP-11 and the operating
system, it is 'C' complier and essentially all the application software was
written in 'C'. Now that is gotta top your Fortran story. ;-)
Now I find that the Delphi compiler is written in 'c' rather than
Pascal. What an outrage! <g>.
Just so others don't get 'outraged', the reason things like Delphi compilers
are written in 'C' is for portability. When a new CPU technology is
developed a 'C' compiler is almost always the first software written to
utilize the new CPU.
But you already knew that, didn't you?<g>

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

Sebastian Ledesma [Solidyne Labs] writes:
BTW: Who is the C++ Product Manager?
We don't have one. We are interested in getting resumes from
interested folks.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - DevCo

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

The original Turbo Pascal compiler was written in asm, and later
re-written in C. Much or most of the Delphi IDE is written in Delphi,
but that was never true of the compiler AFAIK.
Oh {*word*99}! All this years I thought it was the other way around.
You killed me...

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

In article <44e0e0ff$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
"Sebastian Ledesma [Solidyne Labs]" <labo[no_sp@m]solidyne1.com>
writes:
Who is the C++ Product Manager?
It was an open position the last I heard (Jun 15):
<groups.google.com/group/borland.public.delphi.non-technical/msg/a
46c737731cc7417?hl=en&>
and
<groups.google.com/group/borland.public.cppbuilder.non-technical/m
sg/76917380862b077b?hl=en&>
--
-David
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

Alain R. writes:
it means in few years that C++ builder will not
be anymore available from Borland tools.
This was touched on, but I wanted to highlight it again.
C++ Builder went untouched by Borland for years after BCB6. There was a
huge community push to get Borland to update C++ Builder. Borland agreed,
and put significant resources into getting C++ Builder updated for BDS 2006.
Not only does the BCB personality have most (not all) of what the Delphi
personality has, it has some things the Delphi personality doesn't!
And I have seen comments from DevCo R&Ders that they hope to bring out the
missing bits (like Together support) in future versions.
So I very much believe BCB is alive and well. One way to keep it alive
and well is to download Turbo C++ Explorer, and possibly even purchase
Turbo C++ Pro, so DevCo will see that there is definite demand for it!
Jon

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

I.P. Nichols writes:
are written in 'C' is for portability. When a new CPU technology is
developed a 'C' compiler is almost always the first software written to
utilize the new CPU.
We are still on 386 cpu technology ;-)

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

"I.P. Nichols" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"Mark J. Wallin"writes:

>I remember when I first encountered the concept of a compiler (somewhere
>around the lower Triassic period, I believe). They told me the
>Fortran compiler I was using was written in Fortran. That kind of blew
>my mind: I had a hard time grasping how a compiler could be written
>using itself. Kind of like the sci-fi story about being one's own
>grandfather.

According to Kernighan & Ritche, the inventors of 'C', it was originally
designed and implemented for the UNIX OS on the DEC PDP-11 and the
operating system, it is 'C' complier and essentially all the application
software was written in 'C'. Now that is gotta top your Fortran story. ;-)

After developing Pascal (whose first operational complier was written in
Pascal), Niklaus Wirth's team programmed the Modula-2 compiler in Modula-2,
wrote an operating system, Medos, in Modula-2, designed and built the
hardware, Lilith, to run it on and micro-programmed the CPU's instruction
set to use M-Code.
beat that ;-) (This is getting to sound like the four Yorkshiremen)

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

"Chris Burrows" writes:
"I.P. Nichols" writes:

>According to Kernighan & Ritche, the inventors of 'C', it was originally
>designed and implemented for the UNIX OS on the DEC PDP-11 and the
>operating system, it is 'C' complier and essentially all the application
>software was written in 'C'. Now that is gotta top your Fortran story. ;-)

After developing Pascal (whose first operational complier was written in
Pascal), Niklaus Wirth's team programmed the Modula-2 compiler in
Modula-2, wrote an operating system, Medos, in Modula-2, designed and
built the hardware, Lilith, to run it on and micro-programmed the CPU's
instruction set to use M-Code.

beat that ;-) (This is getting to sound like the four Yorkshiremen)
Far out - I mean that both literally and figuratively! And yes, I will have a
serving of that tasty Yorkshire pudding, I hear it is much better than
Fortran humble pie. ;-)

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

"Mark J. Wallin" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Rod writes:

>The Delphi compiler is written in C. Due to that fact, DevCo needs at
>least an C compiler.

I remember when I first encountered the concept of a compiler (somewhere
around the lower Triassic period, I believe). They told me the
Fortran compiler I was using was written in Fortran. That kind of blew
my mind: I had a hard time grasping how a compiler could be written
using itself. Kind of like the sci-fi story about being one's own
grandfather.
<snip>
That sounds fishy to me. FORTAN is a high level language, unsuitable for
compilers.
I assume that FORTRAN I (started in 1951 and completed in 1954) was written
in assembler, if not machine language. I'd think that later versions
were written in C.
See:
community.computerhistory.org/scc/projects/FORTRAN/paper/Allen-technological_review_FORTRAN-1982.pdf
Jean Sammet states, "Its major technical contribution was to demonstrate
that efficient object code could be produced by a compiler; as a result. it
became clear that productivity of programmers could be significantly
improved."

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

Bob Dawson writes:
Much or most of the Delphi IDE is written in Delphi, but that was
never true of the compiler AFAIK.
AFAICR, it is mostly the compiler and editor that were written in C. The
rest of the IDE is written in Delphi.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" wrote

AFAICR, it is mostly the compiler and editor that were written in C.
The rest of the IDE is written in Delphi.
Don't know about 'the rest'--think JK said there are over a half dozen
languages in use in the IDE at this point, but basically that matches my
recollections of what I have been told. The IDE is 'primarily' written in
Delphi, and the compiler 'primarily' (if not totally) written in C.
bobD

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

Bob Dawson writes:
"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" wrote

>AFAICR, it is mostly the compiler and editor that were written in C.
>The rest of the IDE is written in Delphi.

Don't know about 'the rest'--think JK said there are over a half dozen
languages in use in the IDE at this point, but basically that matches
my recollections of what I have been told. The IDE is 'primarily'
written in Delphi, and the compiler 'primarily' (if not totally)
written in C.

bobD
Reminds me of Tubo Pascal 5.5 "Written in Turbo Assembler"
--

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

Sorry Jon,
Maybe I am stupid, but what is the relation with Turbo C++ and Borland
C++builder future development ?
i did not catch it :-(
My present issue is : Should i definitively develop my application with
BCB or should i migrate to MS ? (Knowing that I am a 20-years Borland fan)
Alain
Jon Robertson writes:
Alain R. writes:

>it means in few years that C++ builder will not
>be anymore available from Borland tools.

This was touched on, but I wanted to highlight it again.

C++ Builder went untouched by Borland for years after BCB6. There was a
huge community push to get Borland to update C++ Builder. Borland
agreed, and put significant resources into getting C++ Builder updated
for BDS 2006.

Not only does the BCB personality have most (not all) of what the Delphi
personality has, it has some things the Delphi personality doesn't!

And I have seen comments from DevCo R&Ders that they hope to bring out the
missing bits (like Together support) in future versions.

So I very much believe BCB is alive and well. One way to keep it alive
and well is to download Turbo C++ Explorer, and possibly even purchase
Turbo C++ Pro, so DevCo will see that there is definite demand for it!

Jon

Re: C++ vs Delphi in future ?

Hi Alain,
Maybe I am stupid, but what is the relation with Turbo C++ and Borland
C++builder future development ?
Turbo C++ is the "turbo" edition of C++Builder 2006, which was the next
release of C++Builder 6.
Borland has shown that they were willing and able to upgrade C++Builder
6 (after some time, and also thanks to some community input) to
C++Builder 2006. They have now also announced Turbo C++, which is the
entry level C++Builder 2006.
The Roadmap also includes details on C++, so I see a good future for
C++Builder / Turbo C++.
(note that C++Builder can compile Delphi code, and not vice versa).
Groetjes,
Bob Swart
Blog: www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: drbob42.com/weblog.xml
New Delphi 2006 Courseware e-books at www.eBob42.com/courseware