Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...

2005-12-22 10:03:27 PM
delphi156
dageek writes:
My point is that Borland do not provide first a demo in order to let
us check before we buy.
This is wrong. Borland *does* provide a trial (or, at least, they have
with every previous release and I have no reason to believe that this
release will be any different). They just don't do it immediately.
Have patience and it will come. If you want to try before you buy, you
can, but you will have to wait a little bit.
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...

"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" writes:
If someone reports to you a problem that you can not reproduce or find
because of a lack of information, how do you fix it?
I trap as much information as I can when the error is logged, including a
screen shot of the user's desktop. The error info is saved in a DB, and I
check the log every couple of days to make sure everything is running
correctly. I don't like waiting to be told about an error from a client. I
generally don't depend on users' input about what they did or how they did
it. 9 times out of 10, they don't remember or will give me the wrong steps
anyway. So I no longer bother.
That's not to say I can fix everything. Some errors just seem bizarre; and
when only 1 user out 100 logs the error every couple of weeks, yes it is
extremely difficult to find and fix those.
Having said that, I understand your point. My situation and the software I
write is very different from what Borland is doing. I know that. But I
can't help feeling burned over D2005. IMO, Borland should have fixed 05
before releasing 06. Upgrading to the next version to get a product that
works should not have been the option. That is not how I treat my
customers, and I'd prefer not to be treated that way. But because I
have respect for Borland and the Delphi developers, I chose to move forward.
However, moving forward doesn't mean forgetting the past. I am still gun-shy
over the whole situation.
-Steve-

Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...

"Ryan McGinty" writes:
I bet you don't write development tools though.
Not totally accurate. I did quite a few years ago. But the company I
worked for at the time was less than adequate in the marketing arena. But I
understand your point. It doesn't take much of an oversite in a component
to crash a system.
There are very few products that the user is completely capable of
destroying the program by normal usage. Think of Word...
Of course if I do something stupid in code I can crash the system. That's
not what I am talking. And I am mainly referring to D2005. I am still
gun-shy, as many of us are of 06. And from what I can tell, there are still
IDE speed issues that need resolving D2006. And that just adds to my
nervousness over the product.
At the risk of sounding redundant, I think Borland should have fixed D2005
before releasing D2006. Paying for an upgrade to get a working product
should not be the option for loyal customers. (IMO)
>I'm a Delphi Die-Hard. If I wasn't I wouldn't have invested in D2006.
>I think it is the best paradigm for the type of applications I write.

Me too - this is not just my 2 cents for you but for some of the other
people that have had issues with D2006 and assume it is because of
quality. I just wanted people to know that I am using it everyday all day
long and love it...
I hope I can join you in that emotion real soon. ;-)
-Steve-

Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...

Stephane Wierzbicki writes:
I'm sorry if I hurts you
ridiculous comment.
--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software LLC

Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...

dageek writes:
My point is that Borland do not provide first a
demo in order to let us check before we buy.This action forces many
customers (including me) to do an upgrade or to buy the product
before even testing, letting us wondering about the products quality
by reading unfiltered usage reports.
No one forced you to do anything, certainly not to spend money on a
product. You did that all on your own. You could have easily waited for
a demo version to be released, or others to buy, test and report on
D2006.
In my point of view, this is just bad marketing which in many cases
generates unhappy customers ...
If this newsgroup has proven one thing, it is that no matter what
Borland does, some customer somewhere will find cause to complain about
it.

Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...

dageek writes:
This might explain the reason that there is no Delphi DEMO available
as it used to be int he past.
If you've read any messages in this thread besides your own then you
are well aware this is not the case. Don't pretend otherwise; it's
disingenuous. As far as I know, the trial version has *never* been
released concurrently with the non-trial version. There has always been
a wait.

Steve Zimmelman writes:
I generally don't depend on users'
input about what they did or how they did it. 9 times out of 10,
they don't remember or will give me the wrong steps anyway. So I no
longer bother.
Borland has the luxury of not having "ordinary" users. I'd certainly
trust bug reports from Delphi users, mostly. Programmers assumedly have
an idea about how PCs function :)
But I can not help feeling burned over D2005. IMO, Borland
should have fixed 05 before releasing 06. Upgrading to the next
version to get a product that works should not have been the option.
Agreed.
That is not how I treat my customers, and I'd prefer not to be
treated that way. But because I have respect for Borland and the
Delphi developers, I chose to move forward. However, moving forward
doesn't mean forgetting the past. I am still gun-shy over the whole
situation.
Hm..
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...

David Farrell-Garcia a écrit :
Stephane Wierzbicki writes:

>I'm sorry if I hurts you

ridiculous comment.

Why is this ridiculous ???

Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...

Hi!
Willi Krenn writes:
No this is not available anymore. Now you have to resort to some tabbed
browsing or back/forth browsing strategy...
But you can integrate the old Delphi 6 or Delphi 7 help in Delphi 2005 and 2006. The
link to the tool I posted sometime ago in this group.
Robert

Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...

Robert Wachtel writes:
But you can integrate the old Delphi 6 or Delphi 7 help in Delphi 2005 and 2006.
The link to the tool I posted sometime ago in this group.
That would be this one:
www.delphipraxis.net/topic62203,0,asc,0.html
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Got questions?: www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...

Edmund writes:
:( Not good news for me then. I have always preferred a physical
manual in my hand when programming. Probably psychological; but,
to me, the manuals are excellent source of bed-side reading.
You can print the books you are interested in at home or bring to
kinkos. I am sure they will print and bind it for you.

Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...

Stephane Wierzbicki writes:
Why is this ridiculous ???
Perhaps you are having a language problem, in which case your confusion
is understandable or you are being silly, since nothing I said should
have made you come to the conclusion that I was hurt by any of your
comments.
--

"Steve Zimmelman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
At the risk of sounding redundant, I think Borland should have fixed D2005
before releasing D2006. Paying for an upgrade to get a working product
should not be the option for loyal customers. (IMO)
I don't think so- I think they should have made the upgrade cost from D2005
to D2006 a few hundred dollars rather than $1200+. I don't think it's
unreasonable to pay full upgrade cost from older versions, but those of us
who paid for 2005 did NOT get reasonable value for the price. 2006 should be
considered an update for us, not a full version upgrade.

Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...

Kyle A. Miller writes:
You can print the books you are interested in at home or bring to
kinkos. I am sure they will print and bind it for you.
Another option:
www.phdbookbinding.com/
Sure there are others. Found this one with a quick search. They can print
your pdf file and bind it. Could get expensive though. (0.06/pg black,
0.70/pg color, $36 binding).
I thought there was a company doing this through Amazon.com but didn't
find it.
--
John

Re: D2006 IDE thoughts ...