Re: Surveys is TO LONG

2008-02-06 05:52:37 PM
delphi167
Nils Boedeker writes:
This surveys:

infopoll.net/live/surveys/s31894.htm

is absolutly to long... I never have the time to complete this.
I agree, it is a little long, but I hope you rethink this and take the
time to fill it out as best you can.
These surveys carry weight. Borland and CodeGear have changed
direction before based on their results. it is your very best chance to
tell them what you need. Otherwise, decisions will be made based on
someone else's needs.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

I have a little more time and quite enjoyed the survey.
FWIW, a couple of extra comments.
I an still using Delphi 7 because I have a large application to maintain and
compatibility with some third party components is essential and has
prevented me from upgrading. I tried Delphi 2007 trial but could not get my
components to compile. I guess some unit changes were made. Further, there
was no information available on how to make changes to enable installation
in Delphi 2007.
1. I only develop web apps. NOT interested in .NET.
2. I really need a decent grid like provided by Internet Express. I use this
grid extensively. Major problem, some of the items in the demo never made it
into the Internet Express main components.
3. Some of the errors in the Internet Express demos were never fixed.
Example, Linkfields.pas had an error in D5, the error was not fixed in Delphi 6 or
D7.
4. Some functionality in Internet Express was missing (link id field to
button) and provided by NixUtils (courtesy Nick Hodges). I was not able to
port NixUtils to Delphi 2007 so this was a total show stopper as far as
upgrading was concerned.
5. I know I could go with VCL WEB and port my app across to this technology.
I know that I can buy this for Delphi 7 but would rather put the money towards
D2007 which includes Delphi 2007 but item 4 above prevents me from doing this.
6. I have been playing with Ruby on Rails but still prefer Delphi Webbroker
so far. I understand the technology fairly well and the lack of a framework
doesn't really bother me. What does interest me in RoR is the ability to
access the id field value "automagically" without explicity loading it into
a session (I use MdWeb), advanced session support included (Rails 2.02
supports session data in browser side encrypted files somehow, as opposed to
cookies), and its support for Ajax.
7. Another major drag for Internet Express is that Firefox simply won't run
it. Whats needed is a grid with navigation based on DHTML and DOM rather
than Javascript only but writing such a thing is beyond me.
Mark Horrocks

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

"Joanna Carter [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Nils Boedeker a écrit :

>This surveys:
>
>infopoll.net/live/surveys/s31894.htm
>
>is absolutly to long... I never have the time to complete this.
>
>I like to have a small surveys with a few basic quesions...
>
>My ansers are:
>
>* I Like to have Nativ 64Bit Support (with VCL Support / Webbroker)

Which indicates that you want surveys that only ask questions relevant to
your needs.

That's the whole point of a survey; to ask a wide variety of questions of
everybody, not just you.
Indeed, though long (as always), I like those surveys. It just happens that
the decisions Borland/CodeGear make don't always match my
wishes/requirements. :)
This being said, I am glad to see that cross-platform/cross-compilation is
mentioned in this survey (see 2.3 and 2.4).
Otherwise, regarding 3.1, I wish we were given an opportunity to comment.
For example, I replied "Don't Care/Don't Use" about "VCL Designer
Guidelines", but in fact I wish I could use it. It just happens that more
often than not, that feature does the opposite of what I want.
As for 3.4, it would have been nice to give some information about the
various language features that we are asked to rank. How can we rank them if
we don't know for certain what they are all about?
In a similar way to 3.1, it would have been nice to be able to comment on
10.2 for example. I used QC in the past, but I have given up (it's just not
convenient and it feels like a waste of my time).
Alan
PS: it would have been worth proofreading the survey. It never looks good
when a company such as CodeGear puts up a survey that contains mistakes...

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

These surveys carry weight. Borland and CodeGear have changed
direction before based on their results. it is your very best chance to
tell them what you need. Otherwise, decisions will be made based on
someone else's needs.
This is TRUE! please make the survey.
Best regards

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

Nils Boedeker writes:
This surveys:
infopoll.net/live/surveys/s31894.htm
is absolutly to long... I never have the time to complete this.
I like to have a small surveys with a few basic quesions...
I just find it disheartening that after all this time, they still lack
direction. PICK ONE AND EXECUTE! The lack of commitment from
CG/Borland is the biggest issue for this company.
If I do not like where you are going, then I will leave. I am already
using other tools anyway. Impress me!

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

Perhaps if they setup categories. If the category is of interest, then open
and answer. I agree that long single page surveys are just a pain and
tiresome at best.
Regards,
Scott.

"Nils Boedeker" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
This surveys:

infopoll.net/live/surveys/s31894.htm

is absolutly to long... I never have the time to complete this.
I have to agree with the sentiment that the survey is too long. I started
it, but grew tired and aborted before submitting it.
Here's the problem... CodeGear obviously wants users feedback or they
wouldn't have bothered to take the time to create such a long and detailed
survey. This is commendable. However, why must this feedback some in a form
that is obviously hostile to the customer? I have upgraded to Delphi 2007,
yet have to date have not compiled a single project with it and am still
using Delphi 5 for my day-to-day work. This is extremely frustrating to me,
and I am sure is something CG would like to know about. Yet I find myself
without a suitable vehicle to voice my feedback. It seems to me that it
would be in CG's best interests to remove as many barriers as possible in
getting this feedback from as many customers as possible.
Maybe I will give the survey another try...

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

Nils Boedeker expressed precisely :
This surveys:

infopoll.net/live/surveys/s31894.htm

is absolutly to long... I never have the time to complete this.

I like to have a small surveys with a few basic quesions...
I thought the length was fine. it is visibly long, but taking it isn't.
Most of the survey is nothing check boxes and radio buttons that eat up
a lot of vertical space but allow quick responses.

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

mark horrocks writes:
1. I only develop web apps. NOT interested in .NET.
I expect you mean you develop ISAPI or CGI, because the web apps and
.NET are not mutually exclusive; if anything, they're meant for each
other <g>
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

Nils Boedeker writes:
is absolutly to long... I never have the time to complete this.
Nick has made some comments about the length, here:
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges/2008/02/06/39020/
Notably: skip the questions you don't want to answer.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

Nick has made some comments about the length, here:
LOL Read more text if you want to spend less time

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

Nils Boedeker a écrit :
I want to answer to the basic Issues... not thousend detail questions...
Then only fill in what is relevant to you.
Simply I have a lot of work and DON'T habe the time to spend one ore
more hours to fill all the questions.
Ah well, it is a good job someone at CodeGear took the time to think that
customers' views were important, otherwise you could have ended up with
VB :-)
I just don't get it: when Borland didn't listen to their customers
people complained, now CodeGear try their best to listen and what do you
do? complain!! The survey was voluntary you know.
Joanna
--
Joanna Carter [TeamB]
Consultant Software Engineer

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

Nils Boedeker writes:
Do you need .NET (yes/now)
What about those who don't need it? <g>
--
Leonel

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

Hello,
there seems to be a variant of the survey which asks one question at a
time, so you could do it on several days in small portions. Would that
be better?
Greetings
Markus

Re: Surveys is TO LONG

Alan Garny writes:
PS: it would have been worth proofreading the survey. It never looks
good when a company such as CodeGear puts up a survey that contains
mistakes...
Could you provide examples? About 20 people proofread that survey.
--
John Kaster blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: dn.codegear.com