View | Component List

2008-05-30 12:45:21 AM
delphi37
All,
I've been considering upgrading from Delphi 7 :) to bds 2007; however, I have found,
in the Turbo Delphi Explorer, that the View | Component List feature is
gone.
I did some googling and found this feature is no longer supported. Because
I am totally blind, I need the feature so I can scroll thru an accessible
list of installed components and press enter to drop the desired component
on the form. In d7, this is a windows list box and is therefore totally
accessible with my screen reader.
I've held off upgrading after Delphi 7 because the ide became more and more
inaccessible; especially the menu system.
I know that borland/codegear have address many of these inaccessibilities
and my testing with Turbo Delphi Explorer (bds 2006) has found it to be more
accessible (in some ways) then d7.
Unfortunately, without View | Component List, the ide is too difficult to
use.
Mike

Re:View | Component List

Oops,
I deleted my question:
Does anyone know if an ide addin which will give the same functionallity as
View | Component list?
Thanks
Mike
"Mike Terry" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

All,

I've been considering upgrading from Delphi 7 :) to bds 2007; however, I've

>All,
>
>I've been considering upgrading from Delphi 7 :) to bds 2007; however, I've
found,
>in the Turbo Delphi Explorer, that the View | Component List feature is
>gone.
>
>I did some googling and found this feature is no longer supported.
Because
>I am totally blind, I need the feature so I can scroll thru an accessible
>list of installed components and press enter to drop the desired component
>on the form. In d7, this is a windows list box and is therefore totally
>accessible with my screen reader.
>
>I've held off upgrading after Delphi 7 because the ide became more and more
>inaccessible; especially the menu system.
>
>I know that borland/codegear have address many of these inaccessibilities
>and my testing with Turbo Delphi Explorer (bds 2006) has found it to be
more
>accessible (in some ways) then d7.
>
>Unfortunately, without View | Component List, the ide is too difficult to
>use.
>
>Mike

I am using the free compBar by dageek. It is always a key stroke away (ALT+F9)
and it show a complete list with all the components installed. I do not know if
it will be any easier for you than the default component pallete though.
Regards
Yannis.
--

Re:View | Component List

Mike Terry writes:
I've been considering upgrading from Delphi 7 :) to bds 2007; however, I've
found, in the Turbo Delphi Explorer, that the View | Component List
feature is gone.
I have no idea if this is going to work for you, but in Delphi 2007 you can
press Ctrl+Alt+P to activate the tool palette, then type part of the
name of the component you're searching for.
--
Pieter

Re:View | Component List

Yannis,
Thanks for the pointer to CompBar. It is exactly what I am looking for. I
downloaded the 1.05beta and installed it. It works find in Delphi 7 (with the
exception of an avg when delphi is shut down).
However, in Turbo Delphi Explorer 2006, the Alt+F9 key does not work and it
does not appear in the View menu.
I don't know if ide expert add ins are prevented in the "explorer" version
or not.
Are you using it with delphi 2006 or 2007. The 1.05beta version does not
seem to support d2007.
I'm going to send an email to the author and see if he can assist me.
Thanks again
Mike

Re:View | Component List

Mike Terry writes:
I don't know if ide expert add ins are prevented in the "explorer" version
or not.
IDE experts and custom components can't be installed in the explorer
versions, although they do work in the Turbo Pro versions and D2007.
Rich