Accessing another database via Outlook [COM newbie]

2003-08-01 11:09:29 PM
delphi24
Hi,
I have a database that I'd like to be able to access via Outlook.For
example, suppose the database contained invoice records; I would like to be able
to insert an invoice object into an Outlook contact record.When the object
(icon) is clicked, I will open a dialog showing the invoice record.
I am assuming that the best way to achieve this is via COM automation, is
that correct?
Until now my only COM experience has been at the client side, automating M$
servers (Outlook, Word etc). Are there any recommended on-line, step-by-step
tutorials on how to design and build a COM server app around?
Thanks in advance
Trev

Re:Accessing another database via Outlook [COM newbie]

There are quite some alternatives each one of them with its advantages:
1) use a custom form with the subset of visual basic. You should be able to
do most of simple operations even manipulate some COM external objects ..
limited tho' and sooner or later you would find it un-usable
2) you could use activex inside a custom form and this would give you some
more freedom.
3) you could create a form server (not sure how it works outside of exchange
environment) - the latest is the trickiest but i think the one which gives
you most freedom
4) you could create an outlook plug-in (there is a company selling some
components for that - you will have to google for it)
There may be other ways .. but not that i can think of
Regards,
Cristian Nicola
ps: it depends on what setup the client would have .. (eg outlook version)
"Trev" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I have a database that I'd like to be able to access via Outlook.For
example, suppose the database contained invoice records; I would like to be
able
to insert an invoice object into an Outlook contact record.When the object
(icon) is clicked, I will open a dialog showing the invoice record.

I am assuming that the best way to achieve this is via COM automation, is
that correct?

Until now my only COM experience has been at the client side, automating
M$
servers (Outlook, Word etc). Are there any recommended on-line,
step-by-step
tutorials on how to design and build a COM server app around?

Thanks in advance

Trev

Re:Accessing another database via Outlook [COM newbie]

If you do a search on google you would find things like this:
groups.google.com/groups&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=uhRLrsmuBHA.1600%40tkmsftngp07&rnum=2
While this does not solve your problem, it is a start.
Good luck,
Cristian Nicola
"Trev" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Christian,

I want to avoid using Outlook forms. They are very limited.

Plug-ins are an option. I already have my own buttons on the button bar
(thanks to Dmitry). However, I like the concept of having a series of
clickable icons in the main 'body' of the contact and will continue to
persue that idea a bit longer.

Trev