TClientDataset license

2006-02-07 12:13:52 AM
delphi202
I suspect this has been asked many times, and I am not sure if this is the
right place to ask but...
I have Delphi 2005. My app talks to Sql Server. If I put a tclientdataset
in my app and fetch data from the database, update it locally caching
results and then apply the updates, does that require a license?
Or is it only if clientdataset talks to some other app, other than the sql
server?
Thanks for any clarification on this issue.
p.s. I wish clientdataset could determine for itself if a license was
needed and just complain at runtime...

Re:TClientDataset license

mtiede writes:

I have Delphi 2005. My app talks to Sql Server. If I put a
tclientdataset in my app and fetch data from the database, update it
locally caching results and then apply the updates, does that require
a license?
Or is it only if clientdataset talks to some other app, other than
the sql server?
The only thing TClientDataset talks to is a DatasetProvider or another
Dataset, it doesn't know about your database. It does not matter where your
database is physically located, that does not come into play for licensing.
What matters is where the TClientDataset is relative to its source of data -
the TDatasetProvider or other TClientDataset.
- if all are within the same physical app, then no license is needed
- if it is a multitier app - provider in one and TClientDataset in the
other, but both tiers are running on the same computer, then no license is
needed
- if the data from a TDatasetProvider or TClientDataset crosses from an app
on one computer to an app on another computer *by any means* then you need a
license.
For D2005, this only applies to the Pro edition. Enterprise and Architect
editions include a DataSnap license.
"The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to
enjoy yourself and live." - Ayn Rand

Re:TClientDataset license

Wayne,
Thanks for the nice summary. That was about as clear as I have seen it
written. However, I still have a couple more questions.
1. You said "For D2005, this only applies to the Pro edition. Enterprise and
Architect editions include a DataSnap license.".
I assume the license included would be for the user of Delphi? Or does
that mean that any application I develop, I can distribute to my customers
because *I* have a license? Or does it mean any web app I write, I can use
my license on the servers?
2. You said "if the data from a TDatasetProvider or TClientDataset crosses
from an app on one computer to an app on another computer".
I assume you mean a Borland compiled app, as opposed to the other app on
the other computer being Sql Server. Correct? So if my application consists
of a client app and a server app and they are on different computers, then I
need a license.
3. Is this all written up somewhere that I can find in my Delphi 2005? I
poked around a little bit, but didn't turn up anything that was clear.
Man, I HATE licensing issues. I just want to compile my app and give it to
my customers.
"Wayne Niddery [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

mtiede writes:

1. You said "For D2005, this only applies to the Pro edition.
Enterprise and Architect editions include a DataSnap license.".

I assume the license included would be for the user of Delphi? Or
does that mean that any application I develop, I can distribute to my
customers because *I* have a license? Or does it mean any web app I
write, I can use my license on the servers?
Yes you can distribute your applications using DataSnap without further
licensing, a *deployment* license comes with these editions. This began with
D2005 (perhaps D8), before that there was no included deployment license.
2. You said "if the data from a TDatasetProvider or TClientDataset
crosses from an app on one computer to an app on another computer".

I assume you mean a Borland compiled app, as opposed to the other
app on the other computer being Sql Server. Correct?
Correct, that is why my first point is that it does not matter where your
database is, it does not affect DataSnap licensing.
So if my
application consists of a client app and a server app and they are on
different computers, then I need a license.
Correct.
3. Is this all written up somewhere that I can find in my Delphi
2005? I poked around a little bit, but didn't turn up anything that
was clear.
Should be in Deploy.txt in the Delphi root folder.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away." ?Philip K.{*word*106}