code insight

2003-10-31 06:00:03 AM
delphi278
Is their any way of having a code insight for a TMemo or a TRichEdit.
TIA
Don

Re:code insight

In article <3fa189e1$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
Is their any way of having a code insight for a TMemo or a TRichEdit.
TIA
Don
Check out : synedit.sourceforge.net/

Re:code insight

Wow
Dream come true.
Thanks
Don
"eshipman" <eshipman@yahoo!!!.com>writes
In article <3fa189e1$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
>Is their any way of having a code insight for a TMemo or a TRichEdit.
>TIA
>Don

Check out : synedit.sourceforge.net/

Re:code insight

knows anybody, how can be used code insight with other (non
Delphi/C#/HTML) code (e.g. XML Schemas)?
BDS has a folder Schemas, it would be nice when I could define my own
rules for code insight here (or at the other place).
I don't know if that is possible with BDS but..
If it is possible now, how can I use code insight (and document
structure - sweet dream) for XSD-files edit.
I use OxygenXML. For the money, it is hard to beat.
Brian Moelk
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
www.brainendeavor.com

Re:code insight

Brian Moelk writes:
I use OxygenXML. For the money, it is hard to beat.
Java based... :(
with D2005 together it is a f&@% work til a rent :((

Re:code insight

>I use OxygenXML. For the money, it is hard to beat.

Java based... :(
Yes it is, but it is one of the best java apps I have used. Seriously, I was
skeptical at first and used the trial version for a long time before buying.
Overall, I have been very happy with it is performance and quality.
with D2005 together it is a f&@% work til a rent :((
Not sure if I understand what you mean by this.

Re:code insight

Brian Moelk writes:
Yes it is, but it is one of the best java apps I have used. Seriously,
I was skeptical at first and used the trial version for a long time
before buying. Overall, I have been very happy with it is performance
and quality.
Now I use XMLSpy Home (free) and I am happy... BUT, I want it in Delphi
IDE :) it wokrs with CSS, XMLT and uses schemas from Schema-folder.
I thought that works with other xml types with accordingly schemas....
--
Bye, Eugene

Re:code insight

Eugen Weber writes:
If it is possible now, how can I use code insight (and document
structure - sweet dream) for XSD-files edit.
You can specify the schema to use for XML files. I can not remember
offhand how to do it right now, but I did know back when we first
implemented that feature. Sorry I can not help more right now. Editing
the 24 hours of Delphi audio files, only looking here when the files
are being saved.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re:code insight

i saw this thread and am wondering if this is still true in BDS2006...
groups.google.com/group/borland.public.delphi.opentoolsapi/msg/5e22aad5d1c0eb3e
thanks for help!

Re:code insight

Charles McAllister writes:
i saw this thread and am wondering if this is still true in BDS2006...
groups.google.com/group/borland.public.delphi.opentoolsapi/msg/5e22aad5d1c0eb3e
thanks for help!
It really depends on what you need. If you are willing to interface
with the .NET parts of the IDE, and want to know about the structure of the
units you can use the CodeDom interfaces, but they don't give you a great
look at the things particular to Delphi code, since they are least common
denominator type interfaces.
See "Is there any OTA support for parsing a source file or obtaining Code
Insight information?" here for some more details:
www.gexperts.org/opentools/
If you can state more specifics about what type of information you need
from the IDE, it may help in finding you a workable solution.
[I worked for a short time with a Mr. Hagler who I believe was a coworker
of yours.]
Good luck,
Erik

Re:code insight

Erik Berry writes:
It really depends on what you need. If you are willing to interface
with the .NET parts of the IDE, and want to know about the structure of
the units you can use the CodeDom interfaces, but they don't give you a
great look at the things particular to Delphi code, since they are least
common denominator type interfaces.

See "Is there any OTA support for parsing a source file or obtaining
Code Insight information?" here for some more details:
www.gexperts.org/opentools/

i saw this on gexperts, but just wanted to confirm this was still the case.
If you can state more specifics about what type of information you need
from the IDE, it may help in finding you a workable solution.

i need to know for a given symbol, all the locations of where it is being referenced, what the symbol type is, if the symbol is a class, what is its ancestor type etc. I would like to have this information in Delphi for win32.
this is the kind of information I am gathering in the codewrench project, but given all the effort it takes to get this project working bug free, and usable within the IDE, I am wondering if there's a better way.
one option is to obtain symbol information from debug information in the exe. there's an article in the delphi magazine about reading the debug information. don't know yet how practical that would be.
[I worked for a short time with a Mr. Hagler who I believe was a
coworker of yours.]

oh yeah? he's a good guy. was that in St. Louis?

Re:code insight

Charles McAllister writes:
i need to know for a given symbol, all the locations of where it is
being referenced, what the symbol type is, if the symbol is a class,
what is its ancestor type etc. I would like to have this information in
Delphi for win32.
The CodeCom interfaces can analyze W32 units, and will provide the basic
information you need, but with the requirement that you interface with the
.NET part of the IDE or write a layer that you can access .NET via a COM
wrapper. Such a wrapper would probably be a useful open source project on
its own for other native addin developers.
this is the kind of information I am gathering in the codewrench project,
but given all the effort it takes to get this project working bug free,
and usable within the IDE, I am wondering if there's a better way.
Creating something to accurately parse even a simpler language like
Delphi is definitely a big challenge, and it gets more complex with each
release (partial classes, generics, etc. are looming). Every time I try to
extract information out of a Delphi file, I feel more sorry for the people
trying to do this for C++ or Perl, though.
oh yeah? he's a good guy. was that in St. Louis?
Yes, I used to live in St Louis. David was always full of interesting
ideas and was interested in learning about nearly everything.
Erik

Re:code insight

Erik Berry writes:
The CodeCom interfaces can analyze W32 units, and will provide the
basic information you need,
this is surprising to me.
this gave me some good info:
blogs.borland.com/corbindunn/archive/2004/09/30/1493.aspx
but I am not totally convinced yet.
for examle on msdn:
msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp
the location information that I am reading about (CodeLinePragma) is always mentioned as being where a member is declared, as opposed to where it is being used in all the nook and crannies of the project.
i'm expecting to find a property for a class member that gives a collection of CodeLinePragma's. maybe I am just not finding it in the vastness of msdn. or maybe its a .net 2.0 feature?

Re:code insight

Charles McAllister writes:
the location information that I am reading about (CodeLinePragma) is
always mentioned as being where a member is declared, as opposed to
You might find things like CodeTypeReference.BaseType useful to see what
identifiers reference a given type, but I don't know of any way offhand to
get a list of references directly from the class declaration object. I do
recall that the UserData properties contained some useful information for
many Delphi language objects, but it has been several years since I last
tried to use the CodeDom interfaces (in the early days of C#Builder), and
my experience was limited, so I can not really provide much assistance.
Maybe someone else here can help.
Erik

Re:code insight

Charles McAllister writes:
i need to know for a given symbol, all the locations of where it is
being referenced, what the symbol type is, if the symbol is a class,
what is its ancestor type etc. I would like to have this information in
Delphi for win32.
I dusted off a primitive CodeDom explorer tool I wrote a couple of years
ago and it appears the Delphi CodeDom hasn't improved much in BDS 2006.
Even though support for much of this could be enhanced, it still completely
ignores case statements, repeat loops, while loops, with statements, some
negated if statements, implementation classes, global procedures, etc. For
this reason, I don't expect you will find the CodeDom as useful for your task.
I believe the CodeDom is only used by the IDE for the .NET designers, so
there isn't any support for features not needed there. More effort goes
into perfecting the language tools used for error insight and refactoring,
which are not currently exposed to the OTA.
Erik