How Do I

2004-06-23 02:53:36 AM
delphi276
Hi, I am using Dephi 5 Enterprise with dBase. How Do I get the following
result:
There are three tables involved - Wood, Item & Thickness. The company backs
drawer boxes.
The Item table is updated as purchases of wood are made. Some of the items
come bundled with varing grades of the particular wood. For example the item
MAPLE can have grades that are select, rustic and somewhere in the middle.
Based on the customers order the plant worker will pull a particular grade
from the MAPLE stack to make the box that the customer orders. Therefore I
have the wood table which corresponds to these particular grades. Namely
there is a Select Maple, a Maple and a Rustic Maple record in the Wood
table. The price of the box is determined by the "type" of wood and the
height of the box that is being made so that is why I have created the Wood
table and don't think I can use the Item table alone. Additionally, the
thickness of the purchased wood is different than that desired for the
fronts, backs and sides of the box. So I have created a thickness table so
that a selection can be made from it so that the plant worker knows how much
to shave the purchase wood to mee the requirements of the customer for the
box.
So the program user will select (with a dblookupcombo) from the Wood table
the "grade" of Maple that the customer has requested. I want the program to
select from the Item table the "Item" that corresponds to this selection. (I
using Maple as the example but this pertains to other purchased items as
well). Then the user will select the thickness (with a dblookupcombo) the
customer's desired thickness. All of this information need to be saved to
the OrderEntryDetail table. Actually, I have the program doing all of this
okay, except when the user (me) edits the form the data in the Item control
has changed to be the first entry in the item table and not the record that
was "selected" when the Wood record was selected when the order was created.
Gosh I hope this is making sense.
Well, anyway what do you recommend that I do so that the record from the
Item table that corresponds to the record in the Wood table "re-appears"
when I need to edit the order?
Thank you very much,
Charlie

Re:How Do I

Maybe I sould have asked this in database.general
"Charlie" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
[...]

Yeah, you'd probably get more responses in that ng, but I think you problem
is related to the how the underlying datasets are done within the dblookups.
I don't use dbase myself, so I would hate to steer you wrong with bad advice, so
why don't you try there.
Mike Walsh