Need grid to display MEMO, or do I?

2008-01-24 12:17:03 PM
delphi31
Hi,
I have an Order application (simple master/detail setup). The form
just contains some master details and a grid. I am using a MEMO field
to hold the description of each grid line. The standard grid displays
<MEMO>and I want the user to see the contents of the memo field in
the grid.
OK I purchased TMS comonent pack and now I see that the TDBAdvGrid is
buggy. TMS have been working on it the last couple of days and cannot
give me a time frame for fixing. I have to get a solution now.
So, any other suggestions for a grid? Each line only displays
Description, Qty, Rate & it works out the Amount. Main thing is to
display/edit the MEMO field in the grid itself. DevEx seems an
overkill for my simple task, also I just want it to "look" like the
standard grid (to fit in with the rest of the application). Can the
standard grid be modified to display/edit MEMO fields in the grid
itself?
OR, do I need a MEMO field? Maybe a string field with size 100 do the
job? is a MEMO field the usual storage for an Order Description
field?
I am open to any suggestions at this stage :)
Thank you for your time,
Pat

Re:Need grid to display MEMO, or do I?

So, any other suggestions for a grid? Each line only displays
Description, Qty, Rate & it works out the Amount. Main thing is to
display/edit the MEMO field in the grid itself. DevEx seems an
overkill for my simple task, also I just want it to "look" like the
standard grid (to fit in with the rest of the application). Can the
standard grid be modified to display/edit MEMO fields in the grid
itself?

OR, do I need a MEMO field? Maybe a string field with size 100 do the
job? is a MEMO field the usual storage for an Order Description
field?
MEMO is good if you do get the occasional large chunk of text. Unless you
can guarantee that your users don't want to put a lot of text in a
description, a MEMO is probably a better choice than a large text field.
I'm not sure about whether it can display a MEMO (since I haven't tried it
:), but have a look at the Berg NextGrid - nice and lightweight, but with a
lot of good features.
Cheers,
Dave

Re:Need grid to display MEMO, or do I?

"Pat" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

OR, do I need a MEMO field? Maybe a string field with size 100 do the
job? is a MEMO field the usual storage for an Order Description
field?

You might want to use MEMO if you want to allow the end-user
to create multi-line text descriptions. That is, when you print the
order, should multi-lines be supported? Note that while a lot of
report 'engines' allow you to assing a string field to a memo at
report time, the memo field does all the word-wrapping. End users
might want to control where the line breaks go...
If you are SURE you will never need more than a single line
of description, then you can go with some type of VARCHAR
(string) field.
BTW, SMDBGrid (a free grid from www.scalabium.com) has
functionality that might work for you: when you double-click
on the <MEMO>field, a small dialog box opens up where
you can edit the text.
Cheers,
EdB

Re:Need grid to display MEMO, or do I?

BTW, SMDBGrid (a free grid from www.scalabium.com) has
functionality that might work for you: when you double-click
on the <MEMO>field, a small dialog box opens up where
you can edit the text.
It also shows the actual text instead of <MEMO>
Rael

Re:Need grid to display MEMO, or do I?

I do the same with the dev express grid. it has a preview field that you
can assign to a memo.
It looks like...
Grid | Grid| Grid | Grid | Grid | Grid | Grid | Grid (headers)
Field| Field| Field| Field| Field| Field| Field| Field(data)
(memo)
Field| Field| Field| Field| Field| Field| Field| Field
memo
well...... ish!

Re:Need grid to display MEMO, or do I?

Pat,
I use Woll2Woll's InfoPower grid for displaying-editing MEMO fierlds.
There are also a couple of record display "Panels" in IP that work well
for me.
01/24/2008 10:35:16
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's Salutation mod]