Restore takes 35 + hrs 7GB DB Running IB 6.0.01

I am running IB 6.0.01 under solaris. The database files are about 7GB normaly when backed up it takes ~ 3GB. To restore this DB it takes over 35 hours. Are there any tuneing parameters that would help?

Re:Restore takes 35 + hrs 7GB DB Running IB 6.0.01

bring the buffers down to around 100 and then restore them back to their normal
values after the restore.  Large buffers during the restore causes significant
slowdown (fixed in IB 6.5).

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
If there is somebody up there could they throw me down a line.  Just a

George Woodyard wrote:
> I am running IB 6.0.01 under solaris. The database files are about
> 7GB normaly when backed up it takes ~ 3GB. To restore this DB it
> takes over 35 hours. Are there any tuneing parameters that would help?

        In addition to what Jeff wrote, turn verbose options off.

        -Craig

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Perf. Monitor : http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor
InterBase PLANalyzer 1.1: http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Re:Restore takes 35 + hrs 7GB DB Running IB 6.0.01

think about your database model.

we had for example a database with around 1gb space, but almost all data
was stored in one table with a lot of blobs and other  columns. the main
problem
was the large amount of indices on that table.

while restoring the indices, ib reads all pages for the selected table,
including
the blob pages (you can see this when you use task manager and select the io
columns in your view).

so for example when there is only one table in that database with 10
indices,
the restore reads the database ten times to restore it. in this case about
10GB
io.

we decided to change to an updatable view where the non blob data is in
one table and the blob data is in another table. the view is  called as the
old
table and all triggers to make it updateable were easy to create.

the restore took only about 1,1 GB of io restore while restoring and it
it was much faster (25% of the original restore time)

--

See you at the First European Firebird Conference in May in Fulda, Germany
Early Registration Fee only valid until Apr 15th -

IBExpert - The most Expert for InterBase and Firebird ---  www.ibexpert.com
HK Software - Holger Klemt - Huntestrasse 15 - D-26135 Oldenburg
Telefon Telefax +49 700 IBEXPERT (42397378)  www.h-k.de
Schulungen - Projektuntersttzung - Delphi - InterBase - AS/400

Other Threads