Linux Server - Windows Clients

This is off-topic but we are using IB and didn't know where else to post.

We have an application where the executable and license file resides on a
Windows server and Windows workstations run this executable.  We have been
contacted by a customer with a Linux server (I  have almost no experience
with Linux), can this executable and license file still be placed on the
Linux server and ran from the workstations without problems?

If anyone could shed some light on this, or direct me to a different
newsgroup to post to, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Re:Linux Server - Windows Clients

You should be able to do that.  The Linux box will just act as a file
sharing server.  The exe will be initialized off that server but
"running" within Windows.

You may want to try some Linux newsgroups for more details because
Samba server will need to come in to play for this to work.

What application are you talking about specifically?

-Erik

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:52:38 -0600, "Jeff Rasnick"

<rasni...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
>This is off-topic but we are using IB and didn't know where else to post.

>We have an application where the executable and license file resides on a
>Windows server and Windows workstations run this executable.  We have been
>contacted by a customer with a Linux server (I  have almost no experience
>with Linux), can this executable and license file still be placed on the
>Linux server and ran from the workstations without problems?

>If anyone could shed some light on this, or direct me to a different
>newsgroup to post to, it would be appreciated.

>Thanks in advance,
>Jeff

Re:Linux Server - Windows Clients

The Linux box can host a database server and your windows client can connect
ok.  The linux box can host the executables on a shared disk and the windows
boxes can run the executables ok.  the linux box cannot run the executables.

I assume you knew all this I just wanted to restate it to be sure we were on
the same page.  One thing to be carefull of is the IB connection string will
change from "server:d:\dbs\bob.gdb" to "server:/dbs/bob.gdb"
My app reads the connection string from an ini file so it can connect
anywhere.

To do file sharing on a linux box you need to run samba.  Its easy to
install and setup.

if they are on a distribution that can use rpm's (red hat, mandrake, many
others)
use:
rpm -q samba
to see if its installed and
rpm -hiv samba*
to install it.

Then edit the "/etc/samba/smb.conf" file (your location may vary):
Make sure there is a line like:
encrypt passwords = yes

Then add a new share with something like:
[pub]
  comment = public
  writable = yes
  create  mode = 0664
  directory mode = 0775
  path = /pub

[pub] is the name of the share that'll show up in windows network
neighborhood.
path = /pub is the physical location on the linux box that you want shared.
I have an entire disk mounted on /pub that I share out, you may want to
share /usr/local or /var/share or whatever.

create mode and directory mode deal with the permisions on files that are
created.  I give lots of rights because I'm a nice guy, and sit behind a
kick ass firewall.

Anyway, because we set "encrypt passwords = yes" samba will use a windows
like encryption scheme.  To add users use the command:
smbpasswd -a andy

this would add user andy, not Andy, to /etc/samba/smbpasswd and prompt for
the password.  If you make this password the same as the password they use
to login to their box with, they'll have one less password to type.  Then,
in windows, you might (Bill and Linus be praised) be able to map a drive to
the share:  \\boxname\pub

I hope thats what you were asking, and even more, that its the right answer
:-)

-Andy

"Jeff Rasnick" <rasni...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message

> This is off-topic but we are using IB and didn't know where else to post.

> We have an application where the executable and license file resides on a
> Windows server and Windows workstations run this executable.  We have been
> contacted by a customer with a Linux server (I  have almost no experience
> with Linux), can this executable and license file still be placed on the
> Linux server and ran from the workstations without problems?

> If anyone could shed some light on this, or direct me to a different
> newsgroup to post to, it would be appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,
> Jeff

Re:Linux Server - Windows Clients

It is not clear whether you want to put your EXE on the Linux box or
InterBase on the Linux box. As long as the user has Samba installed on the
Linux box you should have no problem putting your EXE and license file
there.

You can also run IB on a Linux box and connect from Windows clients.

--
Bill

Re:Linux Server - Windows Clients

I have installed Samba on the Linux Server without too many problems.  I
need to change something in the smb.conf file.
I created a script to start it as a daemon process and executed it.  How can
I stop the (Samba) server now?  Using the ps command I don't see it listed.
Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Re:Linux Server - Windows Clients

On my red hat system I'd use:
/etc/init.d/smb stop
or
/etc/init.d/smb start
or
/etc/init.d/smb restart

Some systems have:
service smb start

others may be in:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

To have it auto-started you can use chkconfig or ntsysv commands.

Actually samba runs two deamons, smbd and nmbd (samba deamon and net bios
deamon)

> I have installed Samba on the Linux Server without too many problems.  I
> need to change something in the smb.conf file.
> I created a script to start it as a daemon process and executed it.  How
can
> I stop the (Samba) server now?  Using the ps command I don't see it
listed.
> Thanks for any help.

> Jeff

Other Threads