Re : DCU's being cracked

2003-07-16 09:17:48 AM
delphi167
Hello,
I am not sure whether this is the right place. If not pl. direct me.
My Question is how can I protect the distributed dcu's being cracked by the
user. It can only be used for further development using it.
I am using D7. Has delphi has any compiler switches to do that or any other
effective third party tools available. Is 'dcuprotector' effective in this
case. Has anyone used it.
Thank you
Regards
R K Scharma

Re:Re : DCU's being cracked

"R K Scharma" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
My Question is how can I protect the distributed dcu's being cracked by the
user. It can only be used for further development using it.
I'm not sure what you mean by "cracked". But anything you do to
encrypt the .dcu would make it unusable to the compiler as well.
More of a problem would be that components distributed without source
can't generally be used with other versions of the compiler. So
they're not real popular. Of course, if you distribute the source,
there's no point in encrypting anything<g>.
What exactly are you trying to protect here? Having some idea of that
might produce some ideas on how to protect that aspect of your .dcu.
Good luck.
Kurt

Re:Re : DCU's being cracked

Thank you Kurt for your reply.
Let me brief you what I want. I develop some basic application components
for user interface, data validation, etc, using that my employees develop
high level custom applications for distribution. I do not want my employees
to misuse those components for developing applications w/o my knowledge and
distribute, because the components are very thin and can be copied in a
floppy. For this purpose I have included checking code into those
components. However someone who is very keen can rework from the dcu to get
the pas files. (I think so.)
Therefore what I'd like to know is, is there any way the dcu cannot be
converted to a pas file, or to hide what kind of checking the component
does.
One set of components with checking will be used for development purpose
alone and another set for compilation and distribution as an exe file to the
end user.
Hope you have a better idea of what I want.
Thank you and with Regards
R K Scharma
XXXX@XXXXX.COM