MS ACCESS 97 and performance

I am using the native driver and a TQuery to reach a MS ACCESS 97 file.
When I do this the performance gets really bad when I send even simple
SQL statements like "select * from "database" ".

Can this be improved?
(I am new into Delphi 3)

Thank you,

Hans Andersson

Re:MS ACCESS 97 and performance

Hans Andersson wrote:

> I am using the native driver and a TQuery to reach a MS ACCESS 97 file.
> When I do this the performance gets really bad when I send even simple
> SQL statements like "select * from "database" ".

> Can this be improved?
> (I am new into Delphi 3)

> Thank you,

> Hans Andersson

Hello,
  Use TTable's.  DAO has a problem with SQL and tables with a lot of
fields.

 Scott
--
BDE Support:
 http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde

Claude Dicaire wrote:

> I use a ttable and tdatasource to access the msaccess files through Delphi
> 3. I do have a question about it as i am new also to this Delphi language
> which I find more powerful than vb4 (the one i used before). The problem I
> have is that i have setup the msaccess file through odbc administrator and
> when i access it through Delphi 3 it comes up with the connection dialog for
> a username and password even though the file is local.  Is there a way to
> bypass this dialog window and access the msaccess file directly without
> asking for a username and/or password?

> Scott Frolich [Borland] wrote in message <350DB0CB.7...@corp.borland.com>...
> >Hans Andersson wrote:

> >> I am using the native driver and a TQuery to reach a MS ACCESS 97 file.
> >> When I do this the performance gets really bad when I send even simple
> >> SQL statements like "select * from "database" ".

> >> Can this be improved?
> >> (I am new into Delphi 3)

> >> Thank you,

> >> Hans Andersson
> >Hello,
> >  Use TTable's.  DAO has a problem with SQL and tables with a lot of
> >fields.

> > Scott
> >--
> >BDE Support:
> > http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde
> >Delphi Support:
> > http://www.borland.com/devsupport/delphi
> >Common Delphi and BDE Questions and Answers:
> > http://www.borland.com/devsupport/delphi/qanda/delphi3qa.html

Hello,
  Also use a TDatabase component and set the LoginPrompt property to
FALSE.  Put in a name for this connection in the DatabaseName Property
and your alias in the Aliasname property.  Set all TTable's DatabaseName
to the TDatabase.DatabaseName.

  Scott
--

Hans Andersson schrieb in Nachricht <350D8239.7...@mail1.tripnet.se>...

>I am using the native driver and a TQuery to reach a MS ACCESS 97 file.
>When I do this the performance gets really bad when I send even simple
>SQL statements like "select * from "database" ".

>Can this be improved?
>(I am new into Delphi 3)

>Thank you,

>Hans Andersson

Use the ODBC-Driver. It is way faster when using TQUERYS.

Good luck, Pascal

Hans Andersson wrote in message <350D8239.7...@mail1.tripnet.se>...
>I am using the native driver and a TQuery to reach a MS ACCESS 97 file.
>When I do this the performance gets really bad when I send even simple
>SQL statements like "select * from "database" ".

>Can this be improved?

First, and above everything, use persistent fields. Next, select fields by
their name, not with the asterisk (*):

SELECT Field1, Field2, Field3, [etc] From myTable

will perform heaps faster than

SELECT * FROM myTable.

Use the INNER, LEFT and RIGHT JOIN  instead of WHERE when selecting fields
from different tables.

Hope this helps. There are some other tricks we've learnt. Send me an email
if you need more...

>(I am new into Delphi 3)

>Thank you,

>Hans Andersson