Problem with Paradox tables on Novell Network

PROBLEM WITH PARADOX TABLES ON NOVELL NETWORK

GETTING THE PICTURE....

I have an application created in Delphi version 1.0 running on a
Novell Network version 4.10. Some clients use Windows 95, some others
use Windows 3.11. All users have the Borland Database Engine files
installed on their on computer and they all have the Paradox Net Dir
field set to a common directory on the network.

The users work with a database consisting of approx 17500 records and
71 fields. It has got a primary index consisting of one field, and 15
secondary indexes all maintained caseinsensitive.

THE PROBLEM

Until now the table has been working nicely for four months. One month
ago, however, the users began experiencing trouble with some different
errormessages: "Lock violation" and also some exception errors. These
messages come for instance when inserting and posting many records at
a time (in a loop sequence). It also appears when scrolling through
the table using "Next", "IF" and "FieldByName(etc)" to check the data
in the records. When doing this I have first filtered the table with a
"SetRange" command.

To me it seems like the file server can't handle too many postings at
a time. But why does these errors come NOW when it has been working
nice all the time? Has the table reached a magic point in size or
what? And why do I get errors at all when I'm not trying to edit the
records? Does anybody have a suggestion of what it could be, or what I
can do?

Grateful for answers, either here or on email:
alexander.linde...@sverige.net

/Alex

Re:Problem with Paradox tables on Novell Network

Are any of the stations using Novells client 32?  If so is it the most
recent version.
Windows 95 with Client 32 has problems with paradox tables, the newest
version is suppose to help.

Here is another thing to try, it's from novells knowledgebase.
Q: Running Paradox for DOS version 4.5 from Borland along with
WIN95 and the Novell NetWare Client 32 requester for WIN95, with
Paradox running on a NetWare 4.1 and 3.11 server, certain locked
files used by the Paradox application are being corrupted,
causing the Paradox application to fail.
A: Go into The Windows 95 desktop, and selecting My computer,
properties, performance and troubleshooting. Set the DISABLE
WRITE BEHIND CACHING FOR ALL DRIVES parameter to on. This
parameter ensures that all data is flushed continually to the
hard disk, removing any performance benefits gained from disk
caching.  This parameter is documented on page 570 of the MS
WIN95 resource kit.

Hope this helps,
Rick
Rick Byrd
Alpine-Tech Systems, Inc.
E-Mail: rb...@mind.net   or  alp...@mind.net

alexander.linde...@sverige.net wrote in article
<3294843c.18890...@news.sverige.net>...

> PROBLEM WITH PARADOX TABLES ON NOVELL NETWORK

> GETTING THE PICTURE....

> I have an application created in Delphi version 1.0 running on a
> Novell Network version 4.10. Some clients use Windows 95, some others
> use Windows 3.11. All users have the Borland Database Engine files
> installed on their on computer and they all have the Paradox Net Dir
> field set to a common directory on the network.

> The users work with a database consisting of approx 17500 records and
> 71 fields. It has got a primary index consisting of one field, and 15
> secondary indexes all maintained caseinsensitive.

> THE PROBLEM

> Until now the table has been working nicely for four months. One month
> ago, however, the users began experiencing trouble with some different
> errormessages: "Lock violation" and also some exception errors. These
> messages come for instance when inserting and posting many records at
> a time (in a loop sequence). It also appears when scrolling through
> the table using "Next", "IF" and "FieldByName(etc)" to check the data
> in the records. When doing this I have first filtered the table with a
> "SetRange" command.

> To me it seems like the file server can't handle too many postings at
> a time. But why does these errors come NOW when it has been working
> nice all the time? Has the table reached a magic point in size or
> what? And why do I get errors at all when I'm not trying to edit the
> records? Does anybody have a suggestion of what it could be, or what I
> can do?

> Grateful for answers, either here or on email:
> alexander.linde...@sverige.net

> /Alex

Other Threads