Re: God I Love Delphi7

2004-12-25 03:49:04 AM
delphi37
Andrea Raimondi writes:
That was simply brought as a striking example of things which were
there in Win32 and aren't there anymore with dotNET.
It was not that striking, easily handled and not significant. You must
do better then that.

I'm also sure there're other, even though at some point I decided
that dotNET was a no-go for me as to now.
And have you viewed a list of things that are available in .Net that
are not available in Win32 development? You have to decide which meets
your needs now and in the future. I see .Net growing and Win32
shrinking. You have do do what is right for you. For me, right now,
both are equally important in my develoment efforts. I like to keep my
toolbox packed with quality tools.
--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software LLC

Re: God I Love Delphi7

David Farrell-Garcia writes:
a Few GB hardrive with 8MB memory??? Are you sure? Anyway, .Net is
probably not right for your floppy based freeware app. I don't think
you would be the target market but then again no dev product, fits
everyone.
Yup.
Ive got computers behind me not plugged in which put half my userbases
equipment to shame.. We are talking people who still use 95/98 on like
minimal settings.

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Andrea Raimondi writes:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
>This one is also a laptop with 30GB HD, but the size of .NET is not
>an issue for me (my saved photos take up a lot more room <g>). I
>plan on buying a nice, small 160GB USB-HD, for a couple of euros,
>though.

Rudy, I have several Delphi components(not little) and several other
useful tools. dotNET isn't only the framework in itself, it is also the
development tools which - on my PC - run fairly good with actual
configuration. dotNET ones, instead, and I have tried a nice amount,
*don't run the same speed*, not even close. Plus, they're scarily big.

I'm even wondering if I will be able to use Delphi 2005 on this
machine, or plainly install it.
I'm using D2005 on this machine.
And I wonder what you mean with "don't run the same speed". IMO, most
components are not very speed dependent, so I really wonder what you
mean.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Andrea Raimondi writes:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
>This one is also a laptop with 30GB HD, but the size of .NET is not
>an issue for me (my saved photos take up a lot more room <g>). I
>plan on buying a nice, small 160GB USB-HD, for a couple of euros,
>though.

Rudy, I have several Delphi components(not little) and several other
useful tools.
I have D7, D8, D2005 and BCB6 on this laptop, and some 6GB of source
code. Still lots of room left.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Liz writes:
We are talking people who still use 95/98 on like
minimal settings.
Not a market a dev tool company should be concerned about. A company
that won't upgrade Win 95/98 machines with 8 Mb Ram are not going to be
in the market to buy much else in the way of software either.
--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software LLC
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Andrea Raimondi writes:

CLR doesn't support hardware ports natively.
It can do it either via Win32 APIs or Com Interop.
Both solutions, imho, have huge drawbacks in dotNET.
See one of my other thrreads where I provided a link to how this is
done, although I believe it is only supported in VS.Net 2003
I pretty much agree with most of the rest of what you said. I do
contend, however, that I do beleive that MS will indeed provide API's
at some point only through managed classes. Also, while you are right
about the roadmap regarding Winforms, I do believe that they will run
under Avalon just as Win32 code can with .Net and Avalon will just be
the next big thing from MS and we will get yet more tools, and have to
educate ourselves yet again to stay on the edge. Isnt't that the way
it has always been?
--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software LLC
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Andrea Raimondi writes:
Oh no? Delphi components don't influence Delphi IDE's loading speed?
Are you sure? Are you saying that a plain IDE loads as fast as one
with several added different packages each one containing a {*word*76}y
large component set?
I think/hope Rudy meant once loaded it doesnt effect running speed,
just the loading speed.
Otherwise the borland blog saying remove unnecessary packages would
seem an odd thing to say :)

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Andrea Raimondi writes:
>And I wonder what you mean with "don't run the same speed". IMO,
>most components are not very speed dependent, so I really wonder
>what you mean.

Oh no? Delphi components don't influence Delphi IDE's loading speed?
The number does. Not their speed.
And that has nothing to do with the speed of the generated executables.
Are you sure? Are you saying that a plain IDE loads as fast as one
with several added different packages each one containing a {*word*76}y
large component set?
You are setting up a strawman, and then go on tearing it down. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Andrea Raimondi writes:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

>The number does. Not their speed.

Yes, exactly. The number does count when loading Delphi.

>And that has nothing to do with the speed of the generated
>executables.

Who said that?
I did, in my previous message. <g>
It doesn't matter how many components you add to your palette, the
speed of the generated executable is not changed. I think you agree
with that.
Also, the speed of the IDE (not the startup time, i.e. initialization)
is not affected by the number of installed components either.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Also, the speed of the IDE (not the startup time, i.e. initialization)
is not affected by the number of installed components either.
even if they fill all the RAM? :)

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Andrew Rybenkov writes:
>Also, the speed of the IDE (not the startup time, i.e.
>initialization) is not affected by the number of installed
>components either.

even if they fill all the RAM? :)
Yeah well, not including extreme cases. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use? Two strong

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Again, that is *not* the problem.
Well, it is if you want to use the new technologies that only have a
.NET API
The problem is that native code isn't going to go away, why would I
have to go to some managed environment when I can have native code?
See above :-)
If the market will choose not to embrace dotNET, which might eventually
happen
Never gonna happen, since it isn't the market's decision
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.com

Re: God I Love Delphi7

.NET interop exists
Sure, but then you will be using .NET :-)
That's still to be seen. What happens if sw shops and clients
decide dotNET isn't the way to go?
It isn't their choice. .NET is the new Windows API (and other extra bits
and pieces, but mainly it is the new API to the OS). Microsoft can do
what they like. They have invested way too much time and money for them
to change their mind (I know that there is over 3.5 million lines of C#
code in SQL Server, for instance). Are you suggesting that the current
Windows API is well-designed, and we should live with that? I don't
think so :-)
Don't get me bad, Jim, but I have the feeling that dotNET actually
makes sense only for hand-held devices, because development is
simplified by several magnitude orders.
I don't know about several :-)
I've used .NET for real world applications that are out there and in
use, and I can tell you that it is quite a nice way to write PC and
web-based software as well. Delphi people will find it very familiar, in
fact.

"Jim Cooper" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

It isn't their choice. .NET is the new Windows API (and other extra bits
and pieces, but mainly it is the new API to the OS). Microsoft can do what
they like. They have invested way too much time and money for them to
change their mind (I know that there is over 3.5 million lines of C# code
in SQL Server, for instance).
Don't be so sure - remember OS/2? They wouldn't be able to leave IBM holding
the baby this time though..
Having said that, I do like the .NET framework and think it will survive.

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Don't be so sure - remember OS/2?
I don't see that as the same thing at all, and I am totally sure :-)
Having said that, I do like the .NET framework and think it will survive.
Yes, of course it will, there is no question of that :-)