User's fonts not installed?

2005-04-19 02:28:14 AM
delphi271
One of our apps displays a report created in QuickReport just fine on my
machine, but on at least one of the user's machines, the font looks like
something from an old digital watch/clock. The font used is Arial.
Is the fix for this to install missing fonts on the user's machine, or would
using a different font on the report likely solve the issue?
--
Download Blackbird Crow Raven's book
"STILL CASTING SHADOWS: Two American Families 1620-2006"

Re:User's fonts not installed?

Crazy Horse's crazier little brother writes:
One of our apps displays a report created in QuickReport just fine on my
machine, but on at least one of the user's machines, the font looks like
something from an old digital watch/clock. The font used is Arial.

Is the fix for this to install missing fonts on the user's machine, or would
using a different font on the report likely solve the issue?

What you can do is to place the fonts that you app uses into a subfolder
of the installation folder. At least this way, you are assured of things
being the way you want them.
--
Cheers,
Phillip Flores

Re:User's fonts not installed?

"Phillip Flores" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

What you can do is to place the fonts that you app uses into a subfolder
of the installation folder. At least this way, you are assured of things
being the way you want them.
It's hard to imagine that they don't have Arial installed, but assuming
that's the problem, just exactly what files need to get copied over?
I see that I have four Arial*.TT_ files in C:\I386, and nine Arial*.TTF
files in C:\Windows\Fonts
PS. My wife's maiden name was the Anglicized version of your surname.
--
Download Blackbird Crow Raven's book
"STILL CASTING SHADOWS: Two American Families 1620-2006"
(.exe and Delphi source): cc.borland.com/ccweb.exe/listing
--email me for the most up-to-date manuscripts

Re:User's fonts not installed?

Crazy Horse's crazier little brother writes:
One of our apps displays a report created in QuickReport just fine on
my machine, but on at least one of the user's machines, the font
looks like something from an old digital watch/clock. The font used
is Arial.
I can't recall this fully but from my rusty memory but I think there
are some fonts that used to be on old versions of Window OS which are
now aliased under the newer Windows OS. I do not know if Arial is one
of them (if I am correct).
Another possibility is that the user might have installed a different
Arial font over the top of the Windows one...?
Is the fix for this to install missing fonts on the user's machine,
or would using a different font on the report likely solve the issue?
I would believe that both would fix the problem... another solution
could be to embed the font you want to use in to the application as a
resource, extract and install the font and then remove the font once
finished with it (I believe there are examples on how to do this on the
Internet).
www.greatis.com/delphicb/tips/lib/resource-fontfromres.html
would be a good starting point.
Just one word of warning about installing/embedding fonts - make sure
that you are allowed to do it... ;-)
Cheers,
Nick