Re: VMware Introduces Free VMware Server

2006-02-09 05:07:15 AM
delphi267
Liz writes:
You can do this with vmware player too..

Im kinda curious how this will be different to the player.. and for
once.. its a vmware thing I didnt beta so I cant tell you either!

Being a server, you can "dial into" a VM over network connections. You
can't do that with the VM Player. You register VM connection like a
Citrix connection. Connect up and you have a VM to use from anywhere
with network access.

Re: VMware Introduces Free VMware Server

Adem writes:
As a precaution, I will now take a different route: Use external
SATA2 disks for the hosted OS.
If you run the VM from an external disk, it will be very slow, at least
if the disk is accessed over the network.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
Adem writes:
>As a precaution, I will now take a different route: Use external
>SATA2 disks for the hosted OS.

If you run the VM from an external disk, it will be very slow,
at least if the disk is accessed over the network.
I meant local external --either over Firewire800 or SATA2, but
definitely local.
Adem

Re: VMware Introduces Free VMware Server

Just beware that according to the FAQ, updates and bugfixes will only be
provided to support subscription subscribers and they *optionally* may
decide at some point in the future to roll out select updates to the free
version. The FAQ makes it pretty clear that you can download the initial
version for free but don't expect updates unless you pay.
Thanks,
Shawn

Re: VMware Introduces Free VMware Server

The main usage differences are:
1) With server you don't have to be logged in for the VMs to run (i.e. it
runs as a windows service not an interactive app)
2) Scripting interfaces are provides so you can automate machine
startup/reboots/shutdowns and other stuff you had to hack around in VMWare
workstation/player.
I think they've bumped up the max # of processors and memory supported as
well but I would have to recheck that.
"Liz" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Rinse Lemstra writes:

>www.vmware.com/news/releases/server_beta.html

You can do this with vmware player too..

Im kinda curious how this will be different to the player.. and for
once.. its a vmware thing I didnt beta so I cant tell you either!

--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings