Re: Would Oracle be considered?

2006-02-23 02:45:10 AM
delphi206
Craig writes:
Thats good for Oracle users, but personally I wouldn't touch Oracle with
a 10 foot pole.
LOL. I understand. that is why large corporates are always looking for
folks selling 11 foot poles and longer! :)

Re: Would Oracle be considered?

"Oliver Townshend" <oliveratzipdotcomdotau>writes
>Whats wrong with single user apps?
They are hardly a challenge.
Wouldnt that depend on what the apps were? A single user 3d medical imaging
app or a program that simulates a wing's aerodynamics is a whole lot more
challenging than a 100-user document management system. One app I worked on
required almost a year of research into various geo-sciences. I will take
that kind of challenge over a boring n-tier business system any day of the
week.
It seems there's a lot of Delphi programmers who think the only programming
being done in Delphi is routine client/server business-oriented apps.
Possibly because thats all they ever do with it. I know thats generally all
that Borland has focused on over the past years. But Delphi is a wonderful
general programming environment suitable for virtually any type of
application. I would hate to see that tossed away by handing it over to some
company such as Oracle to be turned into yet another obscure development
tool designed to work with their products..

Re: Would Oracle be considered?

"GrandmasterB" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
application. I would hate to see that tossed away by handing it over to some
company such as Oracle to be turned into yet another obscure development
tool designed to work with their products..

I agree entirely. Most of what I do is exactly that sort of big, boring
business application but part of Delphi's power is that it lets you do that
sort of application easily but also allows those who need to do something
different, to do so just about as easily.
Personally, my hope is that the development tools will end up in a
relatively small, privately held company dedicated to the development tools,
with those who know them best having a pretty strong influence on where they
go in the future. I don't particularly want the BDS to be swallowed up in
any large company whether it be Adobe, Oracle, Microsoft or some other
conglomerate.
Ray Porter

Re: Would Oracle be considered?

>>Whats wrong with single user apps?
>They are hardly a challenge.

Wouldnt that depend on what the apps were?
yes it does. And in the context of this thread, we are talking about
Database apps so the rest of your reply isn't really relevant to my initial
point. I don't think single user database apps are a challenge. Howszat?
Oliver Townshend

Re: Would Oracle be considered?

"Oliver Townshend" <oliveratzipdotcomdotau>writes
>Wouldnt that depend on what the apps were?
yes it does. And in the context of this thread, we are talking about
Database apps so the rest of your reply isn't really relevant to my
initial point. I don't think single user database apps are a challenge.
Howszat?
Well appearently we're reading different threads. Personally, I was stating
my objection to the idea of Oracle getting its hands on delphi.
If by db app you mean plopping a few data aware controls down on a form and
connecting to local database, no, that in of itself isnt challenging. But
neither is doing it in a multi-user or n-tier environment. Anyone can set a
few connection properties and be on their way. Been there, done that, got
the collectable mug. Its whats done with the data that matters. If the
data is information about a 3D medical imaging image, whether the db is
local or remote has little bearing on the complexity of the program. As it
would be with most other scientific apps, or even many games.