Translation tips

2004-12-01 04:54:59 PM
delphi161
Hi guys,
My app is currently written in good old english, I speak pretty much
only english, I can manage to read some german ish, and speak less of
it, but, I do feel a wish to consider offering my freeware app in
languages that suit as many of my users as is possible.
OK, could someone give me an example of a real dumb simple app such as
almost hi world, and how you would go about doing the translation
stuff and how you make the installer package to go with..
Sorry for such a big thing.

Re:Translation tips

OBones writes:
Look at DxGettext, here:

dxgettext.sf.net/

It has all the documentation you need, and is the method that I find
easiest to deal with.
Thanks Oliver, I will take a look, translating my app isnt something Im
outstandingly determind to do, but I think it would be nice to add
some.. Even if its adding alternatives as people write to me and say
"Hey I can translate that for you" ..

Re:Translation tips

Liz writes:
Hi guys,

My app is currently written in good old english, I speak pretty much
only english, I can manage to read some german ish, and speak less of
it, but, I do feel a wish to consider offering my freeware app in
languages that suit as many of my users as is possible.

OK, could someone give me an example of a real dumb simple app such as
almost hi world, and how you would go about doing the translation
stuff and how you make the installer package to go with..

Sorry for such a big thing.
Look at DxGettext, here:
dxgettext.sf.net/
It has all the documentation you need, and is the method that I find
easiest to deal with.
Cheers
Olivier Sannier

Re:Translation tips

Lauchlan M writes:
Also look at Korzh localizer and the TsiLang translation suite
components.
I will have a look.
Also, D2005 has some built in, and if you had lots of $$ to throw at
it (and you say you haven't) then Multilizer is another option.
Nope
I dont mind spending some $ on my freeware apps, but, Id rather not
unless its really going to make a huge difference, so far, no one has
complained my app isnt multi lingual as most things people use it for
are english based anyway, apparently (not that I did so deliberately)
my app is also ok with many accented characters and so on and people
are happy that it doesnt block them sending the above 128 character
range, so, its just an idea going round in my head to be a little more
user friendly

Re:Translation tips

Liz writes:
OBones writes:

>Look at DxGettext, here:
>
>dxgettext.sf.net/
>
>It has all the documentation you need, and is the method that I find
>easiest to deal with.

Thanks Oliver, I will take a look, translating my app isnt something Im
outstandingly determind to do, but I think it would be nice to add
some.. Even if its adding alternatives as people write to me and say
"Hey I can translate that for you" ..
That's exactly what DxGettext provides. Basically, you make your
application translation ready and it will use translation files if they
are there. As the source for those files is simply UTF-8 encoded files
(.po), people can use pretty much any editors to make the translations.
Cheers
Olivier

Re:Translation tips

>My app is currently written in good old english, I speak pretty much
>only english, I can manage to read some german ish, and speak less of
>it, but, I do feel a wish to consider offering my freeware app in
>languages that suit as many of my users as is possible.
>
>OK, could someone give me an example of a real dumb simple app such as
>almost hi world, and how you would go about doing the translation
>stuff and how you make the installer package to go with..
>
>Sorry for such a big thing.

Look at DxGettext, here:

dxgettext.sf.net/

It has all the documentation you need, and is the method that I find
easiest to deal with.
Liz,
Also look at Korzh localizer and the TsiLang translation suite components.
Then pick the one that works for you!
Also, D2005 has some built in, and if you had lots of $$ to throw at it (and
you say you haven't) then Multilizer is another option.
Lauchlan M

Re:Translation tips

>Look at DxGettext, here:
>
>dxgettext.sf.net/
>
>It has all the documentation you need, and is the method that I find
>easiest to deal with.

Liz,

Also look at Korzh localizer and the TsiLang translation suite components.

Then pick the one that works for you!

Also, D2005 has some built in, and if you had lots of $$ to throw at it
(and
you say you haven't) then Multilizer is another option.
BTW, regardless of which solution you go with, I think you can use Innosetup
for the install and it can itself be translated into many languages.
Most of the programs mentioned above (Korzh etc) have free download/trial
versions.
Lauchlan M

Re:Translation tips

Lauchlan M writes:
Also, D2005 has some built in
The translation tools have been available since before D2005, actually.
However, they used to be available only in the higher SKUs until D2005
wherein ITE is now also available in the Pro SKU.
--
Leo Saguisag
Delphi l10n engineer