Re: Slashdot

2006-08-09 04:34:52 AM
delphi164
Brandon Staggs writes:
Sheesh. Already there are too many /idiot replies. /. sure has a lot
of those.
It's their trademark.
--
Bill

Re: Slashdot

Nick Hodges (Borland/DevCo) writes:
Anyone up for making a post about the Turbo stuff on Slashdot?
Done.
--
Bill

Re: Slashdot

William Meyer writes:
Brandon Staggs writes:

>Sheesh. Already there are too many /idiot replies. /. sure has a lot
>of those.

It's their trademark.

Rarely do /. 'ers RTFA!

Re: Slashdot

Yeah, no kidding. Talk about a group of nattering nabobs of
negativity. Wow.
Just for anyone who though that that was this newsgroup :)
But hey Nick, you asked for the post!
Oliver Townshend

Re: Slashdot

Oliver Townshend writes:
But hey Nick, you asked for the post!
Oh, I know -- but that doesn't mean I can not still comment on it. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - DevCo

Re: Slashdot

Phillip Woon writes:
Seems a lot of the readers over there are gcc/gnu guys and are making
sarcastic comments.
They have simply to much waiting time when they compile a project. :-)
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re: Slashdot

LOL!
"Andreas Hausladen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>escribi?
en el mensaje news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Phillip Woon writes:

>Seems a lot of the readers over there are gcc/gnu guys and are making
>sarcastic comments.

They have simply to much waiting time when they compile a project. :-)

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen
(andy.jgknet.de/blog)

Re: Slashdot

Nick Hodges (Borland/DevCo) writes:
Oh, I know -- but that doesn't mean I can not still comment on it. ;-)
Nick - you should be heartened by the number of numskulls posting there
who are blissfully unaware of the continuing existence of Delphi, BDS
and Borland.
I think this clever repackaging of BDS is working well to raise the
Borland/Devco profile as well as evangelising the products.
- Roddy

Re: Slashdot

Leonel writes:
Nick Hodges (Borland/DevCo) writes:

>Anyone up for making a post about the Turbo stuff on Slashdot?

Sure. Just did a few minutes ago and it shows up as accepted. Should
hit Slashdot soon. Prepare for the mess! :)

Nice. I submitted one about 12 hours before you did and it was rejected.
:-( I guess I didn't sacrifice a chicken at the crossroads at midnight,
or something.
Graham

Re: Slashdot

Graham writes:
Nice. I submitted one about 12 hours before you did and it was
rejected. :-( I guess I didn't sacrifice a chicken at the crossroads
at midnight, or something.
I linked to the video. :)
--
Leonel

Re: Slashdot

Roddy Pratt writes:
Nick - you should be heartened by the number of numskulls posting
there who are blissfully unaware of the continuing existence of
Delphi, BDS and Borland.

I think this clever repackaging of BDS is working well to raise the
Borland/Devco profile as well as evangelising the products.
It's a fine balance, isn't it? I mean, when DevCo is finally "out", it
will look, to many, as an entirely new company.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - DevCo
blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re: Slashdot

Liz writes:
I couldnt sell water in a desert..
How about ties?
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Slashdot

Brandon Staggs writes:
/. is home to a lot of open source bigots. I didn't expect a lot of
rational comments on that one...
bpd.non-technical is home to a lot of Borland shills. Generalizations
suck.
Nearly every message in this thread is some kind of Slashdot slam. I
don't get it, you want to advertise the new Turbo tools over there so
they'll spend their $$$ with Borland, but you don't care about their
opinions? No, I haven't read the /. comments, but yes I know there is a
vocal minority with opinions you won't like.
FWIW, I have been working professionally with Delphi for 10 years. (v2-7)
I read Slashdot daily and only come over here when I am trying to figure
out what the hell Borland is thinking. They write a good tool, make a
little money, get distracted by other markets (apps, alm), then come
back to tools. Now they have the tools in limbo when they're trying
keep programmers from defecting. By the time they get DevCo spun off,
we'll have quit listening.
As far as the Turbo stuff is concerned, IMO they're missing the boat.
The Explorer version won't be able to use Indy, Rave, or Jedi unless
Borland packages them. What a way to support third parties. Face it,
Borland can not compete on price. They don't have hundreds of OS
developers working with them or an operating system cash cow. I don't
think crippled free is the answer.
Then need to get back to reasonably priced, innovative tools. It sure
would be nice to have a good IDE and object properties in a Linux/Mac
environment. I would probably even shell out for another copy of Kylix if
they'd do it right this time.

Re: Slashdot

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
How about ties?
LOL!
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: Slashdot

>I think this clever repackaging of BDS is working well to raise the
>Borland/Devco profile as well as evangelising the products.

It's a fine balance, isn't it? I mean, when DevCo is finally "out", it
will look, to many, as an entirely new company.
I think everyone in this group will reserve the right to bring up the past
even after you're outed. A bit like the way my wife remembers things that
I've said that I would rather she didn't.
Oliver Townshend