Re: New Delphi Product Manager and Inexpensive Entry-level Versions

2006-06-20 04:39:43 PM
delphi82
"Lauchlan M" <LMackinnonAT_NoSpam_ozemailDOTcomDOTau>writes
<snip>
In this case, having a lower end SKU might reduce pro sales, might
increase
them, or might have effects only seen over time as low-end users turn into
pro- users turn into enterprise/architect-users.
Indirectly it will show in sales. I know because I have been (and still am) in
position that I get constantly asked suggestion what
learning/teaching/prgramming tools to get. Years I had been recommending
Borland Delphi (and C++ Builder) but couple years back it changed when they
decided to change standard (to personal version) and pretty much castrated
use of it on anything useful by license. Since that I stopped recommending
Borland tools (and I know I am not only one that did so), and I am very sure
it has caused plenty of less sales and also less users of Borland products.
So it is not only directly it will show up, but indrectly too.

Re: New Delphi Product Manager and Inexpensive Entry-level Versions

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
I think some context is needed here - it depends on packaging, the key is
that lower SKUs *can and do* negatively affect sales of higher SKUs. One
does not rationally put out a lower SKU if it is going to damage sales
income.
You are ignoring the free/cheap VisualStudio SKU's. They are already there,
and they are *also* damaging sales of expensive Delphi SKU's.
For an IT student or a beginning programming enthusiast, there's nothing as
tempting as a free IDE. And once you're hooked, you don't switch
platform so
quickly. Once these people get employed, they'll acquire the full product.
IMHO Borland should more aggressively target young developers, because
these are the ones that are flooded with the freebie Visual Studio Express
now. Target the people who will be employers in a few years, not those that
are going to retire in a few years.
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"

Re: New Delphi Product Manager and Inexpensive Entry-level Versions

Ingvar Anderberg writes:
I have to add it is upgrade prize for pro version
As an new user I have to pay 1000$, and that would
never happened, not even once....
Borland could consider a different marketing model:
- Release a cheap or free "basic" version of Delphi, plus a dozen
extensions that
can be bought for $100 each.
That way students / hobbyists /beginners can upgrade step by step as they
need more features.
If this "basic" version doesn't allow the installation of third-party
components,
it probably won't {*word*16}ize from the higher SKU's.
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"
from my e-mail address. Leave the rest of the address intact
including the "antispam" part. I had to take this measure to
counteract unsollicited mail.)

Re: New Delphi Product Manager and Inexpensive Entry-level Versions

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
The problem is what features to include in such a version. You want people
to be able to do enough to be able to use it *and get hooked on the
features* yet not be able to do so much that there's never an incentive for
any of them to purchase a higher SKU. More importantly, if there are
sufficient abilities in it, some people that otherwise *would've* paid for a
higher SKU will buy this bottom-end SKU instead.
Simply disallow the installation of third-party-written VCL packages in
this
low-end SKU. And make plenty of Borland-written VCL packages available
for $100 each.
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"
from my e-mail address. Leave the rest of the address intact
including the "antispam" part. I had to take this measure to
counteract unsollicited mail.)

Re: New Delphi Product Manager and Inexpensive Entry-level Versions

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
And if 90% of those customers would be willing to pay $1000 if the $100 SKU
didn't exist, is selling for $100 still a "no-brainer"?
I think the more important question is, how many people that currently use
Visual Studio Express will *ever* start using Delphi? They are probably
lost forever to Borland.
--

Arthur Hoornweg writes:
IMHO Borland should more aggressively target young developers, because
these are the ones that are flooded with the freebie Visual Studio
Express now.
"Aggressive" in this case would mean additional marketing, since it
probably is impossible for a product to be more "free" than another.
It is rather challenging to outmaneuver MS here, I assume..
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: New Delphi Product Manager and Inexpensive Entry-level Versions

For an IT student or a beginning programming enthusiast, there's nothing
as
tempting as a free IDE. And once you're hooked, you don't switch
platform so
quickly. Once these people get employed, they'll acquire the full product.
In contrast to Borland, students can acquire full licences of MS products
cheaply. No need to wait till their earning professional $$.
Lauchlan M

Re: New Delphi Product Manager and Inexpensive Entry-level Versions

It's lost cause to try make Borland steer their Delphi ship any other
direction
That's why they're ditching the Borland management, and forming a new
company for the developer tools. Give them a chance; they just might
turn things around.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: New Delphi Product Manager and Inexpensive Entry-level Versions

Rick Carter writes:
Nick, I know in past newsgroup messages you've not been an advocate of
free and cheap versions of Delphi.
www.nickhodges.com/nick/nickisapi.dll/Entry
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Arthur Hoornweg writes:
Simply disallow the installation of third-party-written VCL packages in
this
low-end SKU. And make plenty of Borland-written VCL packages available
for $100 each.
I'm hoping DevCo comes up with another alternative. I think any low-end
version of Delphi should still allow the creation of components, and the
installation of freeware or shareware components. I suppose that means
it would allow the installation of commercial components as well -- I
don't know how you would separate them out.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - DevCo

Re: New Delphi Product Manager and Inexpensive Entry-level Versions

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:36:37 +1000, "Lauchlan M"
<LMackinnonAT_NoSpam_ozemailDOTcomDOTau>writes:
In contrast to Borland, students can acquire full licences of MS products
cheaply. No need to wait till their earning professional $$.
At my univ I can get all MS dev tools for free. I just need to
download the cd image myself, and apply for a key from the dep that
handles it at univ.
- Asbjørn