Re: Registration

2007-01-07 01:39:09 AM
delphi98
Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>Look up Boot IT Next Generation - by far the BEST multi boot

When and why do I need a multi boot?
So you can snapshot and clone installations for testing beta software.
--
Chad Z. Hower
Microsoft Regional Director

Re: Registration

Lars Fosdal writes:
The new VMware Workstation version 6 supports multiple monitors, Vista
as host, Integrated Virtual De{*word*81} for VS and Eclipse (and I
certaintly would love to see BDS2007 on that list too), Automation
APIs (VIX API 2.0), Headless mode - You can run VMs in the background
without the Workstation UI...

www.vmware.com/products/beta/ws/releasenotes_ws60_beta.html
Thanks, I need to delve into my pending newsletters mailbox it seems..
but it also seems to pay off reading this group <g>
" the guest can now span monitors"
Yeah, but that is not good enough
"and also reflect the monitor topology"
Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!
An upgrade will be done, immediately!
<flame-proof clothing on>
BTW, VMware has weird way of selling software, I just type in my VISA
card number, download it, register and am up ad running as a happy
customer... within minutes...
--
Ingvar Nilsen
Brand New Web Site! Free Delphi Tool:

Re: Registration

Chad Z. Hower writes:
Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>>Look up Boot IT Next Generation - by far the BEST multi boot
>
>When and why do I need a multi boot?

So you can snapshot and clone installations for testing beta software.
Chad, I have been multi booting and been taking snapshots of my drives
the last 7 years, I even did it so often that I wrote my own DOS GUI
for GHOST and put everything on bootable CDs.
But after I brought VMware home, I haven't done this anymore. Am I
missing something? BTW, I use Acronis and take a backup, a complete
image of my system each and every night, and sometimes I revert,
sometimes it is more than enough to mount the image and access older
files from the mounted drive.
But - is this what you mean?
--

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
Thanks, I need to delve into my pending newsletters mailbox it seems..
but it also seems to pay off reading this group <g>
hehe
" the guest can now span monitors"
Yeah, but that is not good enough
You can also toggle round which monitor its running on. As well as view
it much like a terminal services screen with a little toolbar at the
top, as well as VNC to it. ON top of that you can now have 128mb
graphics cards :) Fix a max resolution from the GUI, map the disks from
a guest from the GUI, defrag the disks from the GUI without the guest
running, it also forwards the battery info if running on a laptop :)
<flame-proof clothing on>
BTW, VMware has weird way of selling software, I just type in my VISA
card number, download it, register and am up ad running as a happy
customer... within minutes...
yep
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Re: Registration

Liz writes:
You can also
You should work for them, you are an expert :)
--

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
You should work for them, you are an expert :)
Weirdly enough without realising it I did work almost next door to them
for 4 years :P
--

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
But after I brought VMware home, I haven't done this anymore. Am I
missing something? BTW, I use Acronis and take a backup, a complete
Yes.
image of my system each and every night, and sometimes I revert,
sometimes it is more than enough to mount the image and access older
files from the mounted drive.

But - is this what you mean?
No. With BING you dont need to backup. You go to partition mgmt, cut,
paste, boot and you have a clone. :) So I have a BaseXP that I can
clone and boot several times, or severa clones. I had one for each .NET
CTP and beta. AT one point I had 13 copies of XP installed.
--

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
BTW, VMware has weird way of selling software, I just type in my VISA
card number, download it, register and am up ad running as a happy
customer... within minutes...
Yeah really weird. I dont have to activate it either, just enter my
serial number. And I can install reinstall no problem.
--

Chad Z. Hower writes:
Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>BTW, VMware has weird way of selling software, I just type in my VISA
>card number, download it, register and am up ad running as a happy
>customer... within minutes...

Yeah really weird. I dont have to activate it either, just enter my
serial number. And I can install reinstall no problem.

What's even stranger is that they're selling version 5 of the software,
but have announced beta of version 6. I sent an email asking what their
policy would be in regards to an upgrade if I bought version 5 right
now, and they indicated I'd get a free upgrade to version 6 when it
was released (no need to buy any 'software assurance').
And they took a whole TEN MINUTES to respond to my email -- how DARE
they take so long... <G>
David Erbas-White

Re: Registration

Chad Z. Hower writes:
Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>But after I brought VMware home, I haven't done this anymore. Am I
>missing something? BTW, I use Acronis and take a backup, a complete

Yes.

>image of my system each and every night, and sometimes I revert,
>sometimes it is more than enough to mount the image and access older
>files from the mounted drive.
>
>But - is this what you mean?

No. With BING you dont need to backup. You go to partition mgmt, cut,
paste, boot and you have a clone. :) So I have a BaseXP that I can
clone and boot several times, or severa clones. I had one for each
.NET CTP and beta. AT one point I had 13 copies of XP installed.
Got it!
Learnt something today too. Now it is obvious why you keep your
business stuff in a VM. I will change my whole setup after this. I
already have for many years never stored any data on C:, on my C: is
only the OS. I even have "Program files" on a dedicated drive. And with
this it will get even better.
Maybe you want to add this to your session topics:
"Versatile workstation setup for programmers"
Add a cup of GTD (Getting Things Done) theory and you have the recipe
for another interesting session :)
--

"David Erbas-White" writes:
Chad Z. Hower writes:
>Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>>BTW, VMware has weird way of selling software, I just type in my VISA
>>card number, download it, register and am up ad running as a happy
>>customer... within minutes...
>
>Yeah really weird. I dont have to activate it either, just enter my
>serial number. And I can install reinstall no problem.

What's even stranger is that they're selling version 5 of the software,
but have announced beta of version 6. I sent an email asking what their
policy would be in regards to an upgrade if I bought version 5 right now,
and they indicated I'd get a free upgrade to version 6 when it was
released (no need to buy any 'software assurance').

And they took a whole TEN MINUTES to respond to my email -- how DARE they
take so long... <G>
ROTFLMAO - you 3 guys are so cruel, I mean pulling the wings off a butterfly
kinda cruel...

Re: Registration

I.P. Nichols writes:
ROTFLMAO - you 3 guys are so cruel, I mean pulling the wings off a
butterfly kinda cruel...
Nah, just wings off mosquitos. I hate mosquitos because they love me.
Im foreign food to them in Europe, either Goumet or McDonalds. I dont
know but they eat me alive and leave everyone else alone. And they
invite all their friends.
--

Chad Z. Hower writes:
I hate mosquitos because they love me.
lol, now this is funny :)
Im foreign food to them in Europe, either Goumet or McDonalds. I dont
know but they eat me alive and leave everyone else alone. And they
invite all their friends.
Mosquitos sense prey by:
- CO2 from breathing
- Moisture from breathing
- Body heat
If the first item applies to you, you may consider taking global
warming a little more seriously <g>
--

"Chad Z. Hower" writes:
I.P. Nichols writes:
>ROTFLMAO - you 3 guys are so cruel, I mean pulling the wings off a
>butterfly kinda cruel...

Nah, just wings off mosquitos. I hate mosquitos because they love me.
Whoa, you are some more mean kinda guy, you pull the wings off something
that loves you, no wonder they call you Kudzu - the only vine that can
{*word*241} a telephone pole. :)

Re: Registration

Chad Z. Hower writes:
Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>BTW, VMware has weird way of selling software, I just type in my VISA
>card number, download it, register and am up ad running as a happy
>customer... within minutes...

Yeah really weird. I dont have to activate it either, just enter my
serial number. And I can install reinstall no problem.
I remember a certain "B" company that used to do that. ;-)
Perhaps the "C" company will now remember how it used to be done!
Cheers,
Kevin.