Re: Another Fun Poll

2005-01-10 10:57:39 PM
delphi224
Derek Davidson writes:
1. Taking D2005 as an example, do you think the lack of SP2 would
encourage you to buy the next version of Delphi?
No. ;-)
There is no minimum number of needed service packs until I buy a next
version. I bought Kylix 1, 2 and 3 and I will probably buy 4 if it will
exist... But I would like some more (minor) bugfixes for bugs that hount me
(take a look at the unofficial fixes for Kylix from Andreas Hausladen:
unvclx.sourceforge.net/) for Delphi also. I am still using Delphi6
and considering an upgrade to 2005 now. Version 6 has no "show stoppers"
for me, but knowing about bugs in VCL and CLX and no "official statement"
how to fix those bugs myself is not helping me to decide to spend the next
euros for the "next version".
2. Are you a corporate user of Delphi?
No. Or Maybe?
My company is more than me alone ;-) and I do programming almost for
internal use!
3. If you are a corporate user, are your opinions considered when
purchasing?
Yes!!!
I and I alone decide when and what to buy.
Eugen

Re: Another Fun Poll

1. Don't know. Will decide when the next version is released and/or if I
encounter a really terrible bug. Most frustrations I have has so far have been
with the help file.
2. Yes
3. Yes (I'm 90% of the deciding factor)

Re: Another Fun Poll

"Derek Davidson" wrote
Yes, sorry. It was a bit mangled :-( How about this:

Does the lack of a current stable product encourage you to buy into
the next version or does it put you off buying at all?
Can't agree with the premise, so the question is unanswerable.
bobD

Re: Another Fun Poll

NO in fack I have stopped buying new version of Delphi until
after an SP2 is released (at least). I was burned once with
D7 I won't be burned again. I'd rather use Lazarus and
fix the bugs myself.
Yes
Yes, I am the decision maker.
Derek Davidson writes:
Many thanks to all that replied to the first poll. It certainly made
interesting reading for me! :-) It also encouraged me to ask a couple
other questions that I hope you will consider answering.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from corporate users so c'mon
guys, please take a few seconds to answer. As before, the questions
require only Yes / No responses but please embellish if you'd like:

1. Taking D2005 as an example, do you think the lack of SP2 would
encourage you to buy the next version of Delphi?

2. Are you a corporate user of Delphi?

3. If you are a corporate user, are your opinions considered when
purchasing?

Thanks!

--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

Re: Another Fun Poll

Derek,
Many thanks to all that replied to the first poll. It certainly made
interesting reading for me! :-) It also encouraged me to ask a couple
other questions that I hope you will consider answering.
Thanks for your effort. Would you consider posting your poll results
somewhere?
1. Taking D2005 as an example, do you think the lack of SP2 would
encourage you to buy the next version of Delphi?

2. Are you a corporate user of Delphi?

3. If you are a corporate user, are your opinions considered when
purchasing?
1. - Doesn't matter to us - we're not going to buy D2K5 regardless.
2. - Yes.
3. - Yes.
--
Sergey M
www.usysware.com/dpack/ - GExperts like VS.NET add-ins

Re: Another Fun Poll

So past ability of a company to release and maintain a
quality product doesn't enter into your buying decision?
Bob Dawson writes:
>"Derek Davidson" wrote
>>Does the lack of a current stable product encourage you to buy into
>>the next version or does it put you off buying at all?
>Can't agree with the premise, so the question is unanswerable.
That's not how I read Bob's reply. It looks to me like he's challenging
the assumption that there is no recent stable version of Delphi.
And I think I agree. I don't measure the stability of a product by the
number of service packs available. By that logic, Delphi 4 would be lots
better than Delphi 7. But I think most of us find Delphi 7 more stable.
I also think this and the previous thread have failed in their mission to
be "fun." It seems to be mostly just an excuse for Borland-bashing from
Derek, Thomas, and others. Maybe they think that is fun, but not me.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: Another Fun Poll

So past ability of a company to release and maintain a
quality product doesn't enter into your buying decision?
I have this bridge for sale in NY? Cheep, only one owner ;-)
Bob Dawson writes:
"Derek Davidson" wrote

>Yes, sorry. It was a bit mangled :-( How about this:
>
>Does the lack of a current stable product encourage you to buy into
>the next version or does it put you off buying at all?

Can't agree with the premise, so the question is unanswerable.

bobD

--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
www.bss-software.com
www.cpcug.org/user/delphi/index.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Re: Another Fun Poll

"Thomas Miller" wrote
So past ability of a company to release and maintain a
quality product doesn't enter into your buying decision?
Certainly does. But any question that assumes "the lack of a current stable
product" is unanswerable for the same reason as "have you stopped beating
your wife?" is unanswerable--it presumes an unallowable stipulation. I never
said the stipulation wouldn't be important if it were valid.
Personally I find all the recent outpourings of nostalgia for Delphi 7 quite
funny--it too was lambasted here as buggy and uninteresting when it was
released, and now it is suddenly wonderful because there's a new version to
whip.
bobD

Re: Another Fun Poll

1. No. Due to the nature of my application (aircraft performance
calculations, with a new release every 28 days, rain or shine), I generally
wait until there's a stable release of Delphi, then load it on my laptop to
keep it segregated from the production environment and play with it for
maybe 6 months before releasing production code compiled with it. If a
version never really becomes stable (to my satisfaction at least), I'll
never upgrade to it. If the next version becomes stable, then I will upgrade
to it. Sometimes the time span between versions is short enough that I end
up skipping one, like I did from 5 to 7, where I am in a holding pattern.
Part of the reason for that was that some of the 3rd party component vendors
were slow to update their components, so by the time we got beyond that,
Delphi 7 was on the scene and the "wait till stable" cycle started again.
2. No. One man shop.
3. Well, yeah. See #2.
4. My favorite "fun pole" would be a fire pole. Wish I had one in the
house to make the trip from the upstairs office to the fridge downstairs a
little more sporty. Hmmm, a chain saw and about 20 feet of stainless
pipe.... Hey honey, I am off to Home Depot. :^)
Cheers,
Van Swofford
Tybee Jet Corp.

Re: Another Fun Poll

Bob Dawson writes:
Personally I find all the recent outpourings of nostalgia for D7
quite funny--it too was lambasted here as buggy and uninteresting
when it was released, and now it is suddenly wonderful because there's
a new version to whip.
Hi Bob, this is not that hard to grasp, or? The main criticism I
remember is that Delphi 7 didn't bring much new, compared with D6. Regardless
of this view, it is the predecessor of D2005, which makes it natural to
fall back to. BTW, this is also the main criticism regarding D2005 for
win32 developers, too few new features justifying the price, if I
haven't misunderstood totally.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re: Another Fun Poll

"Bob Dawson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Personally I find all the recent outpourings of nostalgia for Delphi 7 quite
funny--it too was lambasted here as buggy and uninteresting when it was
released, and now it is suddenly wonderful because there's a new version to
whip.
Independent of what you may think, some of us do have issues with D2005,
while they don't exist with D7. I am not even talking about the new
features, but old ones that, for some reasons, don't work anymore. In that
respect, it is not too surprising to me that some of us have given up on
D2005.
Alan.

Re: Another Fun Poll

"Ingvar Nilsen" wrote

Hi Bob, this is not that hard to grasp, or? The main criticism I
remember is that Delphi 7 didn't bring much new, compared with D6.
D6 and Delphi 7 were also both bashed as unstable--quite unjustly, IMO.
BTW, this is also the main criticism regarding D2005 for
win32 developers, too few new features justifying the price,
if I haven't misunderstood totally.
I tend to discount all criticisms of "not much new." A new version can be
uninteresting to a programmer either because it hasn't added anything, or
because the programmer making the claim is still writing the same kind of
code he/she wrote five years ago. Programming is an evolving field, but not
all programmers are moving with it. I don't see that as being Borland's
fault.
But in any case, I don't buy a new car every year just because a new model
comes out, and I don't see why a programmer should feel obligated to buy
every Delphi version and then feel mad that he finds any differences
relatively unimportant to him personally. If a customer can not be bothered to
read and think about the feature matrix before making a buy decision, then I
don't have a lot of sympathy.
bobD

Re: Another Fun Poll

The question isn't whether Delphi 7 had bugs, but is D2005 more
buggy then D7. Let's keep our eye on the ball.
D4 (with all SPs) is incredibly stable. I didn't really
use D5, but it seems most people feel the same way about
it as I feel about D4.
D6 wasn't bad, but there where major problems with most
of the new technologies that where introduced and several
things got broken. Delphi 7 IDE was pretty much unchanged and
to me is the most stable IDE I have ever used.
Unfortunately the VCL is not, still has lots of bugs and
introduced quite a few new bugs with SP1(which we waited
on for over 1.5 years).
See a pattern here since D5? Slowly but surely the overall
quality of the product has been going down hill. SPs are
less frequent. This quality trend for the Delphi product
line is going the wrong direction.
Bob Dawson writes:
"Thomas Miller" wrote

>So past ability of a company to release and maintain a
>quality product doesn't enter into your buying decision?

Certainly does. But any question that assumes "the lack of a current stable
product" is unanswerable for the same reason as "have you stopped beating
your wife?" is unanswerable--it presumes an unallowable stipulation. I never
said the stipulation wouldn't be important if it were valid.

Personally I find all the recent outpourings of nostalgia for Delphi 7 quite
funny--it too was lambasted here as buggy and uninteresting when it was
released, and now it is suddenly wonderful because there's a new version to
whip.

bobD

--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
www.bss-software.com
www.cpcug.org/user/delphi/index.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Re: Another Fun Poll

Who's bashing. Delphi 7 is the most stable IDE I have ever
used!!!! I wish I could say the same for the VCL and
supporting technologies. Open source an old version of
the VCL (like D7), compile a new version of the IDE 12
months down the road to use the new open VCL (call it
Delphi 7.5) and I will be happy for the next 5 years,
until I am dragged kicking a screaming into the .Net arena.
Rick Carter writes:
I also think this and the previous thread have failed in their mission to
be "fun." It seems to be mostly just an excuse for Borland-bashing from
Derek, Thomas, and others. Maybe they think that is fun, but not me.

Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
www.bss-software.com
www.cpcug.org/user/delphi/index.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Re: Another Fun Poll

"Alan Garny" wrote

Independent of what you may think, some of us do have issues with D2005,
I read specific bug reports with interest. it is the vague/overgeneralized
complaints that I don't find particularly helpful or interesting.
bobD