DDE Server and MS Excel

I am trying to write a DDE server that can send items to cells in MS Excel
(for Windows 95) and also to other DDE enabled packages.

I need to read data from the serial port (which I can already do using
MSCOMM.VBX from Visual Basic), and feed this, thru DDE to Excel, so that
the values in Excel cells change as the values from the Serial Port change.

I am having real problems understanding the Help in Delphi 1 about the
DDEServerItem and associated componenets.  I don't know which componenets
to use to feed the data out to Excel, nor how I have to pass data to the
componenets.

I am also a little lost with Excel.  I have looked at the help for VBA and
understand that there are methods etc. to open, read and close a dde
converstation, but am having trouble there also...

Has anyone done this?

If they have, could they please help me.

Replies via e-mail most appreciated.....

Rgds
Dan.

Reply to : d...@far-side.demon.co.uk

Re:DDE Server and MS Excel

: "Dan Lyon" <d...@far-side.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I am trying to write a DDE server that can send items to cells in MS Excel
>(for Windows 95) and also to other DDE enabled packages.

>I need to read data from the serial port (which I can already do using
>MSCOMM.VBX from Visual Basic), and feed this, thru DDE to Excel, so that
>the values in Excel cells change as the values from the Serial Port change.

>I am having real problems understanding the Help in Delphi 1 about the
>DDEServerItem and associated componenets.  I don't know which componenets
>to use to feed the data out to Excel, nor how I have to pass data to the
>componenets.

Check out TExcel on the Delphi Super Page (author is Tibor
Liska). This completely solves your Excel DDE problem. I am
working on a even more advanced version which will make data
transfer *extremely* fast using DDE (some ORDERS of magnitude
faster than through OLE automation, BTW).

>I am also a little lost with Excel.  I have looked at the help for VBA and
>understand that there are methods etc. to open, read and close a dde
>converstation, but am having trouble there also...

If you want to just send data to Excel you do not need to touch
VBA.

Please discuss this in the newsgroups.
--
Stefan.Hoffmeis...@UNI-Passau.DE