How to thread reply to NNTP message with Indy

What is the proper procedure to reply to an NNTP message so that the reply
goes into a selected thread?

Thanks for help!

Bill Seven
Include Software Corp
www.include.com

Re:How to thread reply to NNTP message with Indy

[This followup was posted to borland.public.delphi.internet.winsock and
a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <3c361ac3$1_1@dnews>, b...@include.com says...

> What is the proper procedure to reply to an NNTP message so that the reply
> goes into a selected thread?

In NNTP, you simply add the Message ID to the references header in your
message.  The refernces header should have the same message ID's from
the original message References header followed by the Message ID for
the message you are replying to.  Most newsreaders will then thread
that.

For example, this message should have a references header such as:

If you were replying to a message such as

Message: <a>

Your message should have this:

HTH.
--
J. Peter Mugaas - Chairperson, Distribution Team, Indy Pit Crew
Internet Direct (Indy) Website - http://www.nevrona.com/Indy

Re:How to thread reply to NNTP message with Indy

Thanks!

"Bill Seven" <b...@include.com> wrote:
> What is the proper procedure to reply to an NNTP message so that the reply
> goes into a selected thread?

There's a detailed description of NNTP message threading by the guy who
wrote the original Netscape Navigator (the one that worked!) here:  http:
//www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html , complete with source for his algorithm
(in Java, but it's not to hard to convert).

You can download XanaNews from my website to see my Delphi version of the
Jamie Zawinski algorithm.

Colin
e-mail :co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk
web: http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm