Newsgroup server

2003-11-12 02:15:41 AM
delphi4
Hi,
Anyone knows where I can find a newsgroup server written in Delphi with Indy
?
Thanks,
Stephan

Re:Newsgroup server

Stephan St-Denis writes:
Anyone knows where I can find a newsgroup server written in Delphi with Indy
?
I saw quite nice mail/news server called Hamster with source code
available, but it seems to not use Indy
--
Eugene Mayevski
EldoS Corp., CTO

Re:Newsgroup server

Dear Eugene,
Thanks for your reply. I will give it a try. Sounds interesting even though it
isn't written in Delphi with Indy.
Regards,
Stephan

"Stephan St-Denis" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
Anyone knows where I can find a newsgroup server written in Delphi with
Indy ?
www.atozed.com/elknews/
Want more Indy stuff? Try the Atozed Indy Portal at
www.atozedsoftware.com/
* More Free Demos
* Free Articles
* Extra Support
ELKNews - Get your free copy at www.atozedsoftware.com

Re:Newsgroup server

Stephan St-Denis writes:

Anyone knows where I can find a newsgroup server written in Delphi
with Indy ?

Thanks,

Stephan
I'm not sure if it is Indy or not, but I think it is... try...
www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm and look for XanaNewz Server

Re:Newsgroup server

Scott Martin writes:
Seeing there is quite a large topic on NG ... this may be the best
time to ask.
What is the best NG Server available (software)?
Pay / OpenSource.

We have a client that is interested in setting up a reliable NNTP
server. They have a server setup with a large pipe, just need the
software

Regards,
Scott.
I think Windows Server includes NNTP software.
David

Re:Newsgroup server

Hi,
SnugServer at www.snugserver.com is a brilliant piece of server software with _lots_ of options, incl. scripting etc.
You decide what of the many built in servers/services should be activated.
It íncludes SMTP, POP3, NNTP (news as you asked for), Web and a lot of other servers in one single executable with a
great and easy to use interface.
IMO its one great piece of software. Our newsgroups at news://news.components4developers.com are running on Snug.
--
best regards
Kim Madsen
"Scott Martin" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>skrev i en meddelelse news:43d0fa4b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Seeing there is quite a large topic on NG ... this may be the best time to ask.

What is the best NG Server available (software)?
Pay / OpenSource.

We have a client that is interested in setting up a reliable NNTP server.
They have a server setup with a large pipe, just need the software

Regards,
Scott.

Re:Newsgroup server

Joe Bain writes:
We are thinking about creating a newsgroup for our users to work with
each other and for us to provide support. I thought that Colin Wilson
had a news server with Xananews, but I can not find it now. I have never
set one up before. Does anyone have any advice on what server program
to use (Free/OS is a plus), or general how to go about it?

According to Microsoft, Windows is cheaper than Linux. Why not use the
lowest cost OS? :)
Sorry, could not resist.

Re:Newsgroup server

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, Joe Bain writes:
Does anyone have any advice on what server program
to use (Free/OS is a plus), or general how to go about it?

If you are looking for a free program, we have been using CoffeeLink
news server for a couple years. It is written in Java. Doesn't look
like there is much activity on the project, but it has been running
fine for us on a Linux server.
sourceforge.net/projects/clnews/
Regards,
Steve Tyrakowski
www.sct-associates.com

Re:Newsgroup server

Joe Bain writes:
I thought that Colin Wilson
had a news server with Xananews
I found this link, but I am not sure whether Colin is still actively
developing it or not.
www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d7xananewz2.htm
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re:Newsgroup server

David Clegg writes:
Joe Bain writes:

>I thought that Colin Wilson
>had a news server with Xananews

I found this link, but I am not sure whether Colin is still actively
developing it or not.

www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d7xananewz2.htm
Thanks. I just installed it and it seems to work. I posted a message
and read it from another computer.
How does naming work on nntp? Or is it easiest just to let people use
the IP address?
--------------
Joe Bain
www.iegsoftware.com

Re:Newsgroup server

Joe Bain writes:
How does naming work on nntp? Or is it easiest just to let people use
the IP address?
There's no such thing as naming on NNTP - the nntp will usually hand out
message IDs based on his real name. The clients just connect to an IP
address - there is no concept of "virtual" NNTP like we know them in HTTP.
Set up an alias in your DNS server (like news.company.com) pointing to your
server.
--
Ben

Re:Newsgroup server

Joe Bain a écrit :
We are thinking about creating a newsgroup for our users to work with
each other and for us to provide support. I thought that Colin Wilson
had a news server with Xananews, but I can not find it now. I have never
set one up before. Does anyone have any advice on what server program
to use (Free/OS is a plus), or general how to go about it?
Xananews newsgroups are news://forums.talkto.net:119/xananews.support
and news://forums.talkto.net:119/xananews.wishlist
Regards,
--
Florent Ouchet
The software quality office will be part of DevCo :p

Re:Newsgroup server

"Joe Bain" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM..c.o.m>writes:
We are thinking about creating a newsgroup for our users to work with
each other and for us to provide support. I thought that Colin Wilson
had a news server with Xananews, but I can not find it now. I have never
set one up before. Does anyone have any advice on what server program
to use (Free/OS is a plus), or general how to go about it?
For a small site:
Leafnode
www.leafnode.org/
For a megasite:
INN
www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/inn/

Re:Newsgroup server

Paul Nichols (TeamB) writes:
Joe Bain writes:

>We are thinking about creating a newsgroup for our users to work
>with each other and for us to provide support. I thought that Colin
>Wilson had a news server with Xananews, but I can not find it now. I
>have never set one up before. Does anyone have any advice on what
>server program to use (Free/OS is a plus), or general how to go
>about it?

According to Microsoft, Windows is cheaper than Linux. Why not use the
lowest cost OS? :)

Sorry, could not resist.
I ment open source not a free operating system <g>
--
Joe Bain