Req: Are there any client-server data aggregation components available out there?

2008-06-04 06:16:37 PM
delphi143
Hi,
I hope you dont mind me asking this here, but I can not find any component
that can aggregate data for me in a server-client environment. I know about
QuickReport, but as far as I can see the data is aggregated on the client
side, and that is not what I want.
An example might be in order:
Say I have a table in by database containing 70.000.000 records.
A user queries this table, resulting in a set that is only slightly smaller
(say 68.000.000 records).
After he/she looked at the first few pages of data, an aggregation seems
necessary.
So, the user requests a matrix on one or two dimensions.
Now, to realise this overview, all records need to be aggregated.
But I don't want to push all that data through a potentially small-bandwidth
connection to the client!
Logically, the aggregation should be done on the server-side and only the
result-set should be send to a viewing component on the client-side.
Currently we've build our own solution for this, but I can not stop wondering
it one of the larger component-vendors has never thought of this scenarion?
Please let me know if you know of any (commercial) solution for this?
Thanks in advance!

Re:Req: Are there any client-server data aggregation components available out there?

Patrick van Logchem writes:
I hope you dont mind me asking this here, but I can not find any
component that can aggregate data for me in a server-client
environment. I know about QuickReport, but as far as I can see the
data is aggregated on the client side, and that is not what I want.
Both ReportBuilder and FastReports have server-side reporting
solutions. Maybe that is what you're looking for?
www.digital-metaphors.com/
fast-report.com
Logically, the aggregation should be done on the server-side and only
the result-set should be send to a viewing component on the client
What database are you using? Most RDBMS products perform query and
aggregation operations on the server, only sending back the result set.
--
Kevin Powick

Re:Req: Are there any client-server data aggregation components available out there?

Patrick,
We have done this using kbmMW (from Components 4 Developers) as a
middle-ware solution.
Now, I am _not_ a pro at this... I have successfully created a solution
for my needs with a bit of help from the kbmMW community (a very helpful
bunch btw!)
With that in mind, I created a service running on the same box as my
database and then I can send what ever "requests" that I want up there -
they can be more like RPC's where the query is already existing on that
box (which can be way more complicated than just plain SQL) and receive
back a dataset to my client via TCP/IP.
I also have it so that I can sent plain SQL up to my "server" (not the
database server) to just run my sql from that box and return the dataset.
It has worked a treat! We were having a bottle-neck and the speed was
really causing us troubles... with this in place we went from some
reports running for over 2 hours down to minutes!!!!!
Take a look! <g>
www.components4programmers.com/
-Raymond
Patrick van Logchem writes:
I hope you dont mind me asking this here, but I can not find any component
that can aggregate data for me in a server-client environment. I know about
QuickReport, but as far as I can see the data is aggregated on the client
side, and that is not what I want.
<snip>
Patrick van Logchem
Every Angle
www.everyangle.com

Re:Req: Are there any client-server data aggregation components available out there?

If it is about queries running on the server there are several options. We
have created a database independent server which is running stored queries
on the server. Communication with the local client is done with SOAP. Of
course all is secured with encryption and it is running great over the
internet even on slow modems. it is not a commercial package, because it's
not real hard to do, just a sample of how you might do it. We use overbytes
components for tcp/ip, zeos for the db independent layer. The answer of the
queries are cached locally on the client in a sqlite database (with our own
open-source components).
albert
"Raymond Schappe" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schreef in bericht