InterBase 7.5 Performance Info

2005-03-23 11:25:09 AM
delphi268
InterBase 7.5 is a screamer! Here are some stats to drool over from a
live system:
Processors 4 Xenon 2.8 ghz
Memory 4 gig
OS 2000 Advanced server
Database 89 gig
Buffers 128,000
Page Size 4k
Todays stats:
Avg No of connections 300
Inserts 2.9 million
Updates 1.6 million
Deletes 1.7 million
Store Proc Calls 3.8 million
Trigger Invocations 18 million
Page fetches 2.1 billion ?this number wraps
Page Reads 17 million
Page writes 4.8 million
Next transaction 3.6 million
OIT 2.3 million
OAT 2.5 million
OS 2.5 million
Longest running transaction when the data was gathered 11hrs 42 minutes
(yeah it needs to be fixed but with this performance there isnít a rush)
System was rebooted at 4:15am after the nightly copy of the database
was completed.
There are roughly 1 million updates still to be done tonight with some
batch process.
Tomorrow is the heaviest load day of the week and no one cares as IB
7.5 will take it in stride without so much as a hiccup....
IB 7.5 just smokes!
keep smiling
--
Rob Schieck
TeamB

Re:InterBase 7.5 Performance Info

Robert Schieck (TeamB) writes:
Page Size 4k
sorry, the page size should have been 8k
--
Rob Schieck
TeamB

Re:InterBase 7.5 Performance Info

impressive indeed, do you always reboot the system after the db backup
how long does the backup take?
what about having to do a backup restore and index rebuild, with 89Gb
that would take sometime?
is this system 24/7?
what sort of disks/controller/raid config?
how long does a sweep take? do you sweep manually? given the oit/oat
difference wouldnt you take a performance hit from versions accumulating?

Chris <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
impressive indeed, do you always reboot the system after the db backup

Under 7.1, yes. The nightly process is to shut hte server down, make a file copy for tape archive purposes and reboot the OS. The main thing needed under 7.1 was to reclaim the SP memory pool.
Under 7.5 The report server stays up 24/7. Probably the main DB
could too except for the tape backup need. 7.5 recovers great
from stress loads.
how long does the backup take?
7 hours.

what about having to do a backup restore and index rebuild, with 89Gb
that would take sometime?
Restore takes 17 hours. If you do a restore with the indexes
left off and then build the indexes in tandum you can cut 4
hours off that.

is this system 24/7?
Yes execpt for the down time to make the backup. Plans are in
place to eventually go to a "hot" backup strategy in which case
it will become 24/7.

what sort of disks/controller/raid config?
3 spindle RAID array.

how long does a sweep take?
2 hours in off time.
do you sweep manually?
Live manual every morning, report housekeeping at 100,000. The
apps that tend to stick the OIT don't run against report and
therefor it sweeps infrequently.
given the oit/oat
difference wouldnt you take a performance hit from versions accumulating?
No, the only place where this tends to happen is in the
replication table were there are a lot of inserts and deletes.
7.5's new indexing handles this situation much better than 7.1
(which would at times peg one of the CPU's and let nothing else
work until it was done).

Re:InterBase 7.5 Performance Info

Then our 40 - 50 user database should scream even louder!!
On a busy day, there may be 40,000 to 50,000 records inserted (usually twice
a month), few (if any) deleted. Total database size is less than 1 gb.
We are currently using IB 7.1 (upgraded from IB 6) on a dual processor 3.00
ghz, 1 gig memory server (Window's 2000).
Does it make a difference on whose server is used (e.g. Dell, Gateway, etc)?
[...]

(yeah it needs to be fixed but with this performance there isn't a rush)

Tom Greenway writes:
Does it make a difference on whose server is used (e.g. Dell,
Gateway, etc)?
The manufacturer should matter too much.
--
Rob Schieck
TeamB

Re:InterBase 7.5 Performance Info

...should _not_ matter... :)
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email
Tom Greenway writes:

>Does it make a difference on whose server is used (e.g. Dell,
>Gateway, etc)?

The manufacturer should matter too much.

Re:InterBase 7.5 Performance Info

Bill Todd writes:
...should not matter... :)
thanks Bill.....
--
Rob Schieck
TeamB

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Restore takes 17 hours. If you do a restore with the indexes
left off and then build the indexes in tandum you can cut 4
hours off that.
So, the db is inactive for a half-day? Weekends?
>is this system 24/7?
Yes execpt
So, it is not 24 hour?
for the down time to make the backup. Plans are in
place to eventually go to a "hot" backup strategy in which case
it will become 24/7.
How will that be done? I am particularly interested in how it will be
done without crippling the system during heavy usage periods.
>how long does a sweep take?
2 hours in off time.
What happens to performance then?
Paul...
--
plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__
XP Pro, SP 2,

Paul writes:

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>Restore takes 17 hours. If you do a restore with the indexes
>left off and then build the indexes in tandum you can cut 4
>hours off that.

So, the db is inactive for a half-day? Weekends?
No, downtime is 10 minutes. We replicate the changes made after the
backup/restore starts once the restore is finished. Total down time for a full
backup and restore is typically 10 minutes.

>>is this system 24/7?

>Yes execpt

So, it is not 24 hour?
Right now it runs 6 days 22 1/2 hours between shutdowns to do a physical copy.

>for the down time to make the backup. Plans are in
>place to eventually go to a "hot" backup strategy in which case
>it will become 24/7.

How will that be done? I am particularly interested in how it will be
done without crippling the system during heavy usage periods.
Backups do not have a major impact on the server. Particularly if you use the
service option with GBak and you back it up to s different set of disk spindles
than the DB reside on.

>>how long does a sweep take?

>2 hours in off time.

What happens to performance then?
Nothing. Sweeps back off their speed when the system comes under load. We
sweep the DB in the middle of the day and no one knows it (although it might
take 3-4 hours because it scales back its processing time).
--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build

Re:InterBase 7.5 Performance Info

(Sorry, for rePost)
Hi all;
this is important topic, because subject is Data (customers data)
"IT is running fine on the 300 user 89 gig database. No corruption issue
that I know of." <Robert Schieck (TeamB)>
"I've got an enterprise system running 24/7 on 7.5 without problems."
<Jeff Overcash (TeamB)>
At this point:
I used IB in my old application Delphi4, BDE, IB5.x, TQuery, TUpdateSQL
with cached Updates
and my Database 350 MB approximate and don't crash in five years work
always, (I love;)
(note: Size is not very important because i very see corrupt DB with small
size).
and Important Coding technique:
I used below command in above application
StartTransaction, Commit Or Rollback
and Now:
Most users used new IBX command becasue easily :
CommitRetaining and Rollbackreatining: But not is good; My friend used this
command and 50MB-100MB Database sometimes corrupting...
What use or Coding technique :
I think now best component is ClientDataset, See : "ClientDataset
Articles" Bill Todd
because Used Commit and Rollback command with Provider Component;
and My Question to TeamB:
1- Which use in IB projects TClientDataset or TIBClientDataset
2- What do you think my this message!
thank you very much!
Sorry my poor English and language error

Freeman writes:

and Now:
Most users used new IBX command becasue easily :
CommitRetaining and Rollbackreatining: But not is good; My friend
used this command and 50MB-100MB Database sometimes corrupting...
You still need to Commit or Rollback whenever possible. Latest versions of
IB have made CommitRetaining much better to use, but don't use it *instead*
of Commit, use it only when you really need to keep the current transaction
open (an open dataset displaying records, or a batch process).
and My Question to TeamB:
1- Which use in IB projects TClientDataset or TIBClientDataset
*Never use TIBClientDataset.* It was deprecated long ago already. Only use
TClientDataset with a separate Provider and source dataset like TIBDataset
or TIBQuery.
Light is faster than sound, which is why some folks appear bright
before they speak.

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) writes:
>>2 hours in off time.
>
>What happens to performance then?

Nothing. Sweeps back off their speed when the system comes under
load.
To clarify, this may seem surprising to those used to IB 6 and
earlier. The current version of IB is *very* different in that sweeps
really don't hurt foreground performance.