Re: ADO in Delphi 6

2003-07-02 07:18:42 AM
delphi66
"Ed Dressel" <none>writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
1) It seems most of the suggestions at google suggest creating fields at
run
time vs design time. Is there a reason for that?
Not that I know of but it is surely helpful to know how to do it dynamically
at design time.
2) One post seemed particularly interesting where it refers to creating
_RecordSet and connection a TADODataSet to it (vs just creating a
TADODataSet with fields). IS there a reasons for doing this?
Might come handy when dealing with COM objects written in other languages
which can
send you a _Recordset you then need to display in a TDBGrid or when you deal
with
remote objects through DCOM or SOAP services which might send you XML.
The ADODataset doesn't provide wrapper-methods to natively do all the things
the real _Recordset does
(streaming to XML is one for instance).
3) Where are some good resources for using ADO as (a) an in-mem dataset
and
(b) for remote connections and (c) briefcase mode?
Google
Some of my samples on www.msdelphi.com
Some of Binh Ly's at www.techvanguard.com (I think. Not sure he has any but
he might).
--
Regards,
Alessandro Federici

Re: ADO in Delphi 6

Thanks!
Ed Dressel

Re: ADO in Delphi 6

And for those who are going tot he links, it is:
www.techvanguards.com/
Ed Dressel

Re: ADO in Delphi 6

Don't get me wrong though. We use TADODataSet for all database access
still. Because of our model though. We have to cache the data locally
and
it gets transfered to a TClientDataSet for the life of the dataset. One
of
the main reasons is that we deal with stock/bond transactions and these
need
to be shown in both consolidated and individual lots. Of course
consolidation requires much local processing as there is a lot involved in
it. TClientDataSet allowed us to save a few seconds when consolidating
large recordsets (i.e. ADO - 15 secs,.... Client - 5 secs).
Would be interested in how kbm compares with CDS--I have done some simple
comparisons and found that kbm (along with TdxMemData) fly compared to CDS.
Ed Dressel

Re: ADO in Delphi 6

"Shannon Broskie" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Good point... As far as I am concerned, as long as I can filter and sort
it... the faster the better.
I'd be interested in seeing some test code.