Writing web service in Delphi 6 *personal*

2007-04-17 03:34:34 PM
delphi196
Hell all
How would I go about writing a web service server and a web service
client into an existing Delphi 6 *personal* app, before finally converting
that to D2007?
We have no time do that conversion now. The only thing we need is that
our app will report some data back to our servers over the internet, and
I thought that would be best handled by using a web service because of
- protecting access to our central database with an app doing the data
validation
- we can only use port 80, others may be blocked
- the XML data reported back gives us the flexibility to change the
format in the future, keeping its interpretation relatively simple
I'm new to web services.
Am I thinking in the right direction?
Thanks an advance
jan

Re:Writing web service in Delphi 6 *personal*

Hello Jan,
Using webservices to report data is a good idea for the reasons you
mentioned. Matter of fact, Delphi's own error reporting wizard does post
crash/stack/packages/etc info. to a WebService hosted here at Borland using
Delphi SOAP.
However, I am not sure you can use Delphi 6 personal for WebServices. If I recall
correctly, in the Delphi 6 timeframe WebServices was SKU'ed (i.e. available in
higher SKUs and not available in lower ones). In Delphi 7 I remember being asked
to remove all SKU-checking logic. I don't have a copy of D6-personal to
verify but you can check if the file 'dclsoap*.bpl' is available in the
Delphi6\bin directory to confirm.
Cheers,
Bruneau.

Re:Writing web service in Delphi 6 *personal*

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
Hello Jan,

Using webservices to report data is a good idea for the reasons you
mentioned. Matter of fact, Delphi's own error reporting wizard does post
crash/stack/packages/etc info. to a WebService hosted here at Borland using
Delphi SOAP.

However, I am not sure you can use Delphi 6 personal for WebServices. If I recall
correctly, in the Delphi 6 timeframe WebServices was SKU'ed (i.e. available in
higher SKUs and not available in lower ones). In Delphi 7 I remember being asked
to remove all SKU-checking logic. I don't have a copy of D6-personal to
verify but you can check if the file 'dclsoap*.bpl' is available in the
Delphi6\bin directory to confirm.

Cheers,

Bruneau.
Thanks,
No, dclsoap*.bpl isn't there.
I found IndySoap.100 and installed it, it needs Indy 9 and DUnit, which
I also installed.
Now I have to *understand* this stuff, docs assume a lot ;-)
And I am still doubting if this is the way to go, because all my app has
to do is post a tiny amount of data to a server over the Internet (using
port 80). Even a CGI_BIN app looks like overkill, I might just use the
Indy idTCPClient/idTCPServer....
(I don't need return data to the app).
Investigating.....
Jan