Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

2003-11-27 12:32:19 AM
delphi196
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:12:32 +0300, "Andrew Rybenkov"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
It seems, Nick, you prefered to ignore my mention of some of folks who
started with very limited resources, and yet created very profitable companies.
No, I don't ignore that. Borland is such a company. ;-)
I simply point out that there are tons of good marketing ideas out
there, but Borland doesn't have the resources to execute them. That's
the point. You appear to not like me saying that, but the fact
remains.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

Don't underestimate the market value of profitable quarterly reports.
www2.barchart.com/prhistory.asp
look this year numbers.

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:46:38 +0300, "Andrew Rybenkov"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

look this year numbers.
I'm well aware of the stock price. My point is that profitable
quarters are as much of a feature of Delphi as is the great language
and cool IDE. If Borland is perceived as the "troubled toolmaker",
they have a harder go. If they can show years of slow but steady
growth and profits, you don't see the phrase "troubled toolmaker" in
the press anymore -- and indeed we haven't. The press has stopped
using that term to describe Borland, and that is a +good+ thing, and a
valuable "feature" of all Borlands products.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

"Andrew Rybenkov" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Well, I don't agree there. I would love to run a large, professional
>series of ads in major software publications to advertise my company
>and our capabilities, but we have "limited resources" and can not do

It seems, Nick, you prefered to ignore my mention of some of folks who
started with very limited resources, and yet created very profitable
companies.

He is just trying to make you understand that "limited resources" is true
for every company, from the smallest to the largest Corp. Remember in the
real world, $ is only *a* measure of your ability to execute your business
plan. In the technology business, fully qualified technical people with
exemplary vision sees through opportunities and the core team must be able
to execute in the timeline of the opportunity. This is certainly NOT easy.
It gets harder to move the 800 lb gorilla when his territory greatly
expands each year. The barrier to entry simply gets harder.
Any company the size of Borland can in an instant with cash on hand start a
hiring campaign to hire perhaps a dozen good engineers but to do the scope
of a "Industry Moving" project like a .NET is much much more involved.
Anders couldn't have done that in Borland even if he wanted to. Not that
there arent smart people currently in Borland. There just aren't enough.
Borland sits at the edge of Silicon Valley with 2000 other companies vying
for talent. That is reality.
Constantly bashing Borland and Dale F makes no sense either. Believe us,
"limited resources" means what it means.
Chris

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:35:45 -0800, "chrisC" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes:

Any company the size of Borland can in an instant with cash on hand start a
hiring campaign to hire perhaps a dozen good engineers but to do the scope
of a "Industry Moving" project like a .NET is much much more involved.
In addition, such a move would wreak havoc on the balance sheet with
no guaranteed benefit.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) writes:
These are quite a bit bigger than Borland.
I think his point was that they weren't when they started.
Will

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

True ...
"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
writes:

>Any company the size of Borland can in an instant with cash on hand start
>hiring campaign to hire perhaps a dozen good engineers but to do the
scope
>of a "Industry Moving" project like a .NET is much much more involved.

In addition, such a move would wreak havoc on the balance sheet with
no guaranteed benefit.

Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

Nick,
I'm well aware of the stock price. My point is that profitable
quarters are as much of a feature of Delphi as is the great language
and cool IDE. If Borland is perceived as the "troubled toolmaker",
they have a harder go.
well, from my pov (this is entirely theoretical, I am not saying it applies
to Borland), I would always buy a great product from a company even if it is not
making billions in profit, but I would not buy a {*word*99}py product from a company
just because it is making billions in profits.
in so far i don't see how balancing a good quarterly report in favor of an
excellent product can server the customer or be perceived as a "product
feature". as a customer, i spend money to get a good product and good
support. i could not care less if the company is getting their toilet seats
gold-plated at the same time. i don't mind if they do, good for them. but as
a customer, the value i get from my money is from the product, not from the
companies profit.
trying to make your customers believe anything else is an useless effort in
economic fud that is doomed to be lost on me, or on any other sensible
customer.
and that is a +good+ thing, and a
valuable "feature" of all Borlands products.
strangely, it doesn't help me get my job done any faster or better.
--
marc hoffman
RemObjects Software, Inc.

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:12:52 +0100, "marc hoffman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes:
well, from my pov (this is entirely theoretical, I am not saying it applies
to Borland), I would always buy a great product from a company even if it is not
making billions in profit, but I would not buy a {*word*99}py product from a company
just because it is making billions in profits.
I'm sure you would -- but you appear to be in the minority, or at
least there are enough people out there who wouldn't to effect
Borland's bottom line.
I think you'd be very, very hard pressed to make the case that Borland
won't be severely harmed by a string of bad quarterly reports, and
that the struggle to remove the label of "troubled toolmaker' hasn't
been both long, and highly valuable.
in so far i don't see how balancing a good quarterly report in favor of an
excellent product can server the customer or be perceived as a "product
feature". as a customer, i spend money to get a good product and good
support.
Well, you aren't a medium to large corporation. Again, I admire your
attitude, but it simply isn't the reality in the marketplace.
strangely, it doesn't help me get my job done any faster or better.
Agreed, it doesn't. But that is not the point, of course.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

I'm sure you would -- but you appear to be in the minority,
well, i feel sorry for all thouse people who prefer the {*word*99}py product from
the "successful" copmany, then.
Well, you aren't a medium to large corporation. Again, I admire your
attitude,
thanx ;)
Agreed, it doesn't. But that is not the point, of course.
well, it is for me ;-)

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

On 26-Nov-03, Alessandro Federici said:
Before this gets missinterpreted as it happened a few times in the
past,
Here? Really? Say it ain't so!! <g>
--
Bill
--------

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:43:58 +0100, "marc hoffman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes:
well, i feel sorry for all thouse people who prefer the {*word*99}py product from
the "successful" copmany, then.
As do I, but you must know that it happens all the time. Shoot,
millions of people actually willingly chose VB.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

"Andrew Rybenkov" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I had other sentence ending in mind:
"D. Fuller has limited [mental] resources [to make correct managing
decisions].
That is really offensive and un-called for!
Dale made a lot of good things for Borland as well and surely doesn't
deserve that kind of personal attack.

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

"marc hoffman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>I'm sure you would -- but you appear to be in the minority,
well, i feel sorry for all thouse people who prefer the {*word*99}py product
from
the "successful" copmany, then.
Before this gets missinterpreted as it happened a few times in the past,
what Mr. Hoffman meant is a *generic* "people who prefer A {*word*99}py product
from A "successful" company" and was obviously not implying that Borland
itself makes {*word*99}py products or is successful.

Re: "limited resources"- kidding?

As do I, but you must know that it happens all the time. Shoot,
millions of people actually willingly chose VB.
yeah well. what can i say. humans. ;)