They've got to be kidding....

2004-01-03 05:38:12 AM
delphi69
Came across this :
Using this link :
www2.dealtime.com/xPO-Borland_Delphi_Studio_Architect_7_Full_Version_PC_HDA1370WWFS180
the Borland Delphi Studio Architect 7 (HDA1370WWFS180) for PC is avaiable
for $2031.93 to $3814.84
Using this link www.borland.no, select 'shop' and select 'Delphi' from the
menu on the left. Now the #3 item from the top of the list is Borland Delphi
Studio Architect 7 (HDA1370WWFS180); offered at the nice price of 37500 NOK
ex. Vat (= about $5640 !!!!!).
Best offer compared to the Norwegian price (ex Vat) is about $3600 !!!!
One would mabe guess that the prices at www.borland.no are incorrect.......
maby, but I have check a couple now and there are several equally high prices
for the other products.
I'm not going to stop buying Borland products, I will just keep buying them
abroad :)
Regards,
Leo from Norway

Re:They've got to be kidding....

"Leif Eirik Olsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>skrev i melding

Using this link www.borland.no, select 'shop' and select 'Delphi' from the
menu on the left. Now the #3 item from the top of the list is Borland
Delphi
Studio Architect 7 (HDA1370WWFS180); offered at the nice price of 37500
NOK
ex. Vat (= about $5640 !!!!!).

Hello Leif Eirik.
I don't believe www.borland.no is assosciated with Borland directly. The
only official "resellers" I know of in Norway is:
Ravenholm: www.ravenholm.no
and
Eurosoft: www.eurosoft.mo
Btw, with today's low USD/NOK exchange you can probably get a plane-ticket
to the US and pick it up cheaper there than ordering it in Norway. I just
saved over 4000 NOK (USD $560) by letting a friend of mine buy me a camera i
NYC instead of me buying it here i Norway. :)
Best regards,
Tom Reiertsen,
Reiertsen Software Systems

Re:They've got to be kidding....

Leif Eirik,
Best offer compared to the Norwegian price (ex Vat) is about $3600 !!!!
I ordered the Delphi 8 Architect Upgrade SKU from Ravenholm at NOK 9.274,- (USD
1.375,-). It was an promotional offer in December though.
Ole Willy Tuv

Re:They've got to be kidding....

In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, Leif Eirik Olsen
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
Now the #3 item from the top of the list is Borland Delphi
Studio Architect 7 (HDA1370WWFS180); offered at the nice price of 37500 NOK
ex. Vat (= about $5640 !!!!!).
Are their import taxes on goods imported from the U.S.A? Transport costs?
Different legal environment that might increase expected monetary risk? Wide
fluctuations in the exchange rates over time? Less competitive market in
Norway? Different operating costs and taxes? Etc.
There is a phenomenon in economics known as price discrimination, whereby
firms ask different prices in different market segments because supply and
demand are different there. I suspect that if you look closely at the
conditions of supply and demand for the markets in which Borland operates in
Norway you will see different conditions and
effects at work than in the U.S. domestic market.
--
***Free Your Mind***

Re:They've got to be kidding....

"Leif Eirik Olsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Using this link www.borland.no, select 'shop' and select 'Delphi' from the
menu on the left. Now the #3 item from the top of the list is Borland
Delphi
Studio Architect 7 (HDA1370WWFS180); offered at the nice price of 37500
NOK
ex. Vat (= about $5640 !!!!!).

With this price, you could have paid to come to BorCon and then save 50% on
the U.S pricing and maybe treat yourself to a holiday?
Chris

Re:They've got to be kidding....

"Captain Jake" <johnjac76[nospam]@comcast.net>skrev i melding

Are their import taxes on goods imported from the U.S.A? Transport costs?
Different legal environment that might increase expected monetary risk?
Wide
fluctuations in the exchange rates over time? Less competitive market in
Norway? Different operating costs and taxes? Etc.

Hi Jake.
Not at all. Prices of other kinds of computer equipment (ie. hardware and
other software) is comparable to other countries both in Europe and in the
USA.
Tom.

Re:They've got to be kidding....

One would mabe guess that the prices at www.borland.no are
incorrect.......
maby, but I have check a couple now and there are several equally high
prices
for the other products.
There is also listed a "Delphi Studio Enterprise" at NOK 199 020 (EUR 24 000
/ USD 30 000), and a "Delphi Studio Architect" at NOK 4 761 (EUR 570 / USD
710). Neither of them is marked as being upgrade, student, multiuser or site
licences. I sent them a mail once about one of their lower priced delphi's,
and I never got a reply. The site is either a scam, or the guy running it is
extremely uncapable of writing down a simple product/price matrix.

Re:They've got to be kidding....

"Tom Reiertsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>skrev i melding
I don't believe www.borland.no is assosciated with Borland directly. The
only official "resellers" I know of in Norway is:

Ravenholm: www.ravenholm.no
and
Eurosoft: www.eurosoft.mo
Hi Tom,
I thought so to, I was just a bit suprised finding these prices at an url, I
at least, assosiate with Borland.
Btw, with today's low USD/NOK exchange you can probably get a plane-ticket
to the US and pick it up cheaper there than ordering it in Norway. I just
saved over 4000 NOK (USD $560) by letting a friend of mine buy me a camera
NYC instead of me buying it here i Norway. :)
:) Like what I did when buying my car; flew to Denmark, bought my car, spent
a couple of days in hotels on my why home; and still saved a lot of money :)
Leo

Re:They've got to be kidding....

"chrisC" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>skrev i melding

With this price, you could have paid to come to BorCon and then save 50%
on
the U.S pricing and maybe treat yourself to a holiday?

Did not think of that. Hope they keep their prices up, and mabe I will be at
BorCon next time :)
Leo

Re:They've got to be kidding....

Jake --
You forgot to mention that companies always price products to maximize
profits, and usually charge as much as they can to do so.
I know I'd if I were selling software.
--
Nick Hodges (TeamB)
Lemanix Corporation - (www.lemanix.com)