Delphi for Mac OS - X ????

2004-02-02 02:12:31 AM
delphi272
I know that Delphi for Linux has not been a financial success for Borland.
However, has anyone had the bright idea of porting Delphi 7 to the Mac?
Some of the pluses should be:
* THERE IS ALMOST NO COMPETITION FOR HIGH END DEVELOPMENT IDEs!!!!
(Codewarrier might be the only other good IDE). (This is {*word*269} territory
you marketing people, even with borland's anemic marketing, this should get
a lot of traction!)
* People on the MAC platform are used to paying big buckos for software
(i.e. Photoshop, Macromedia software, Adobe) which is not true on the Linux
platform.
* Based on FreeBSD, it should be relatively easy to port to the MAC
(there are 1,000s of Linux programs already running on the MAC)
* Apple would be Borland's partner not their competitor like Microsoft is
* I'd buy it!
Anyone else this this makes sense or am I all wet as usual?
Bruce Lomasky

Re:Delphi for Mac OS - X ????

I know that Delphi for Linux has not been a financial success for
Borland. However, has anyone had the bright idea of porting Delphi 7 to
the Mac?
Yes, this has been discussed before.
Real Basic is a good alternative for Win and Mac X-Platform development if
you want to avoid C/C++
www.realsoftware.com
Plus also they plan to add Linux support soon
www.realsoftware.com/support/linux_faq.html
They do frequent updates and offer printed docs (extra order item).
Kevin
--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: www.opera.com/m2/

Re:Delphi for Mac OS - X ????

"Bruce Lomasky" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
* THERE IS ALMOST NO COMPETITION FOR HIGH END DEVELOPMENT IDEs!!!!
(Codewarrier might be the only other good IDE). (This is {*word*269}
territory
you marketing people, even with borland's anemic marketing, this should
get
a lot of traction!)
developer.apple.com/tools/macosxtools.html
Price = free with OS X 10.3
* Apple would be Borland's partner not their competitor like Microsoft is
I should think the relationship would be a close parallel.
Tim
Tech comment at www.itwriting.com

Re:Delphi for Mac OS - X ????

The only problem with Real Basic is that it does not support many "real"
databases out of the box. It does support Sybase out of the box, which is
great, because Sybase is multi-platform. However, Sybase is not a major DB
player right now (I hope they get back in the game!).
I have not been able to find information on Oracle or Firebird support. Has
anyone used Real Basic with either?
Thanks.
"K. Sallee" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I know that Delphi for Linux has not been a financial success for
Borland. However, has anyone had the bright idea of porting Delphi 7 to
the Mac?
Yes, this has been discussed before.
Real Basic is a good alternative for Win and Mac X-Platform development if
you want to avoid C/C++
www.realsoftware.com
Plus also they plan to add Linux support soon
www.realsoftware.com/support/linux_faq.html
They do frequent updates and offer printed docs (extra order item).
Kevin

Re:Delphi for Mac OS - X ????

Try FreePascal...
www.freepascal.org/
It supports many target platforms (I don't remember if Mac is one of them).
Other then the GUI stuff, Delphi code ports over with little effort.
DaveH
[...]

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
Try FreePascal...

www.freepascal.org/

It supports many target platforms (I don't remember if Mac is one of them).
Other then the GUI stuff, Delphi code ports over with little effort.

Nope, not yet:
www.freepascal.org/fpcmac.html

Re:Delphi for Mac OS - X ????

RealBasic 5.5 is going to be a groundbreaking release for them:
Cross-compiling to Linux, new robust local DB engine, etc.
www.realsoftware.com/support/linux_faq.html
Download a 5.5 beta copy, get a demo key and try it out:
www.realsoftware.com/download/betas.html

Re:Delphi for Mac OS - X ????

"Bruce Lomasky" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I know that Delphi for Linux has not been a financial success for Borland.
However, has anyone had the bright idea of porting Delphi 7 to the Mac?
Some of the pluses should be:

* THERE IS ALMOST NO COMPETITION FOR HIGH END DEVELOPMENT IDEs!!!!
(Codewarrier might be the only other good IDE). (This is {*word*269}
territory
you marketing people, even with borland's anemic marketing, this should
get
a lot of traction!)
As I recall that was a significant argument in favor of creating Linux
tools...

* People on the MAC platform are used to paying big buckos for software
(i.e. Photoshop, Macromedia software, Adobe) which is not true on the
Linux
platform.
Ok, that is probably different from the Linux scene.

* Based on FreeBSD, it should be relatively easy to port to the MAC
(there are 1,000s of Linux programs already running on the MAC)
Ah, here you run aground on a reef of assumptions. While it may be
relatively simple to port an existing Linux application written against Gnu
Libc to Mac OS-X, that is assuming the application doesn't do anything
platform specific. A Linux development tool is by nature specific to the
Linux platform. The Linux platform runs executables built in the ELF
executable file format. FreeBSD and Mac OS-X don't support ELF. (ok, there
is an "ELF emulator" on BSD, but it is so incomplete it is comical) So to get
your Linux development tool (Kylix) to produce OS-X executables, you will have
to rewrite the linker.
Then there's the small detail of processor instruction set. Kylix generates
Intel x86 instructions. Mac OS-X runs on PowerPC processors. So, add a new
compiler code generator to the to-do list.
De{*word*81}, anyone? It certainly would be nice if an Intel x86 de{*word*81} could
debug PowerPC apps, but not likely.

* Apple would be Borland's partner not their competitor like Microsoft is
I'm not familiar with Apple's current attitude towards independent
development tools, but historically Apple has been one of the least
developer-friendly platform vendors in the industry. Besides issues of
business relationships and suing people over the use of core Apple OS or
BIOS pieces, Apple has a long history of breaking binary compatibility
between OS releases. Not only have OS API's changed in incompatible ways,
the CPU itself has been swapped out from under you! Even Java developers
have been burned by the Mac, since Apple hasn't kept Mac OS-X up to date
with the current releases of the JDK.
These sorts of things certainly do not make it easy for a software developer
to produce or maintain an application on the Mac platform. Perhaps that is
changing, with the new Apple and the new OS-X.
As other posters have noted, an implementation of the .NET platform running
on Mac OS-X would be very interesting, since (in theory) that should enable
.NET code written with Delphi 8 for .NET to run on the Mac.
-Danny

Re:Delphi for Mac OS - X ????

I have not been able to find information on Oracle or Firebird support..
Has anyone used Real Basic with either?
For Oracle at Google, on the first page seach using : database plugins
realbasic oracle.
alane.schemaresearch.com/REALbasic_Oracle_Plugin
Firebird is still not that "big" enough in general use, but I suspect
someone will develop a plugin at some point.
Delphi is still superior in so many ways, but to do x-platform development
easily (i.e. not using Code Warrior or C++BuilderX) for what will soon be
3 platforms, I still think RealBasic is the ticket. I am not holding my
breath for .Net for Mac nor have any interest in loosing market share
waiting on my bottom for .Net for the Mac. Even if .Net comes for the Mac
people may avoid it as an M$ borg attack.
Cheers,
Kevin
--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: www.opera.com/m2/

Re:Delphi for Mac OS - X ????

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:33:49 -0400, DaveH <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Try FreePascal...
Lots of potential, but in my opinion on Windows the installer is
primitive, the IDE is buggy and compiling is archaic.
I know it will improve, development seems rapid, so I will revisit in 6
months.
Kevin
--

Bruce Lomasky writes:
THERE IS ALMOST NO COMPETITION FOR HIGH END DEVELOPMENT IDEs!!!!
Maybe there is a reason for that.
--
Nick Hodges (TeamB)
Lemanix Corporation - (www.lemanix.com)

Re:Delphi for Mac OS - X ????

Danny Thorpe writes:
>* Apple would be Borland's partner not their competitor like Microsoft is

I'm not familiar with Apple's current attitude towards independent
development tools, but historically Apple has been one of the least
developer-friendly platform vendors in the industry. Besides issues of
business relationships and suing people over the use of core Apple OS or
BIOS pieces, Apple has a long history of breaking binary compatibility
between OS releases. Not only have OS API's changed in incompatible ways,
the CPU itself has been swapped out from under you! Even Java developers
have been burned by the Mac, since Apple hasn't kept Mac OS-X up to date
with the current releases of the JDK.

These sorts of things certainly do not make it easy for a software developer
to produce or maintain an application on the Mac platform. Perhaps that is
changing, with the new Apple and the new OS-X.
Apple has been updating the OSX JDK constantly since OSX 10.0, they just
released JDK 1.4.2 for 10.3
I can run OSX 10.0 apps on 10.3. Offcause if you want to use some of the
newer OS features, then you would have to recompile or add support for
features as is true for any other platform.
JBuilder X and CBuilder X runs fine on MacOS X now, yet another reason
for Delphi on MacOS X.
As other posters have noted, an implementation of the .NET platform running
on Mac OS-X would be very interesting, since (in theory) that should enable
.NET code written with Delphi 8 for .NET to run on the Mac.
Yes this would probably be the best and easiest way, maybe FreePascal
can fill in the Win32 API gap.
Microsoft has allready ported the .NET core runtime (without WinForms)
to MacOS X and a C# compiler, free download on MSDN. The open source
.NET projects are comming along nicely, however it would be good if
Borland started supporting them to have .NET on more platforms than just
Windows, this should be in Borlands interrest, since IMHO they have a
hard time competing with MS on Windows.
Kind Regards,
Per Hungeberg Møller
www.control-systems.com

Re:Delphi for Mac OS - X ????

Per Hungeberg Møller writes:
JBuilder X and CBuilder X runs fine on MacOS X now, yet another reason
for Delphi on MacOS X.
Actually, one could also see it as that there is no need to also port
Delphi to the Mac. They already have 2 products that run on it. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,