Command line switches?

2006-10-18 12:24:22 PM
delphi279
Is there any command line switches available to pass a GDB file upon start?
I want to setup a Windows shell command on GDB files, so that I can right
click them and open the database in IBConsole.

Re:Command line switches?

Magnus Flysj?writes:
Is there any command line switches available to pass a GDB file upon
start?

I want to setup a Windows shell command on GDB files, so that I can
right click them and open the database in IBConsole.
I think you mean switches for IBConsole. I am not sure if it supports
that, but I can not see how it would work for anything other than a local
DB, and even then only if you had registered the local server already
and saved the path. If you right-clicked on a mapped drive there would
be no way for IBConsole to determine the correct connect string.
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Re:Command line switches?

Yes, of course.
But 100% of my time is on local GDB's using the desktop version.
It would be nice to be able to right-click a gdb file within windows
explorer and open it in IBConsole.
If username and password etc isn't supplied with the switches sent to
IBConsole, then IBConsole could just popup a login dialog.
I can understand that it can be hard to add this shell integration
automatically within the IB setup these things, but at least there should be
swithces in IBConsole that let me setup this shell integration by my own.
There are so many things that I miss with Interbase's integration with
Windows shell, like a nice icon for the GDB file and better and a more
modern user interface.
At the moment, the program looks like something the cat dragged in from the
last decade. ;) But I know there are good stuff under the hood, and that
Interbase isn't a GUI importent application.. But it wouldn't hurt to just
polish it more, it makes everything look more "edge" to new buyers. I dont
know if the GUI has been remakes in IB2007, haven't tried that one out yet.
"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>skrev i
meddelandet news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

Magnus Flysjv writes:
Yes, of course.

But 100% of my time is on local GDB's using the desktop version.
It would be nice to be able to right-click a gdb file within windows
explorer and open it in IBConsole. If username and password etc
isn't supplied with the switches sent to IBConsole, then IBConsole
could just popup a login dialog. I can understand that it can be
hard to add this shell integration automatically within the IB setup
these things, but at least there should be swithces in IBConsole that
let me setup this shell integration by my own.

There are so many things that I miss with Interbase's integration
with Windows shell, like a nice icon for the GDB file and better and
a more modern user interface. At the moment, the program looks like
something the cat dragged in from the last decade. ;) But I know
there are good stuff under the hood, and that Interbase isn't a GUI
importent application.. But it wouldn't hurt to just polish it more,
it makes everything look more "edge" to new buyers. I dont know if
the GUI has been remakes in IB2007, haven't tried that one out yet.

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>
skrev i meddelandet news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>Magnus Flysjv writes:
>
>>Is there any command line switches available to pass a GDB file
>>upon start?
>>
>>I want to setup a Windows shell command on GDB files, so that I
>>can right click them and open the database in IBConsole.
>
>I think you mean switches for IBConsole. I am not sure if it supports
>that, but I can not see how it would work for anything other than a
>local DB, and even then only if you had registered the local server
>already and saved the path. If you right-clicked on a mapped drive
>there would be no way for IBConsole to determine the correct
>connect string.
>
>-- Craig Stuntz [TeamB] 7 Vertex Systems Corp. 7 Columbus, OH
>Delphi/InterBase Weblog : blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
>IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
>your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com
Not really an excuse,
but IBConsole is solely maintained by volenteers.
I spend all available time on improving IBConsole.
I put your wish on my todo list.
My latest beta release (8.0.0.28) at www.gvsnet.nl/ibconsole
has a lot improvements, including a better SQL interface. A facelift
as you suggested has no priority to me, the more because I try to keep
things as most compatible as possible with Linux.
Regards an thanks for your suggestions.
Gelein van de Voorde,
IBConsole team.